Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
Feral
Elminster

OK, I finally got around to Kangaxx (after reading horror stories about him on this board). He turned into the demi-lich and Minsc killed him with the second blow of his mace (of disruption). How disappointing is that? I assume that Kangaxx failed his save, but the text window didn't say anything about that. Any thoughts? Do people think that the MoD is really overpowered against the undead?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Feral:
OK, I finally got around to Kangaxx (after reading horror stories about him on this board). He turned into the demi-lich and Minsc killed him with the second blow of his mace (of disruption). How disappointing is that? I assume that Kangaxx failed his save, but the text window didn't say anything about that. Any thoughts? Do people think that the MoD is really overpowered against the undead?
did you cast any spell on Minsc (how did you buff him up)? I'm surprise that Gaxx didn't imprison Minsc before Minsc even dealed out his second blow.

[ 09-08-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Feral
Elminster

I was surprised, too. This was my second attempt, and the first time around, Minsc was in the ground before I knew what hit him. The second time, he returned the favour, I guess.

I cast chaotic commands, bless and improved haste on him. Nothing fancy.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Feral:
I was surprised, too. This was my second attempt, and the first time around, Minsc was in the ground before I knew what hit him. The second time, he returned the favour, I guess.

I cast chaotic commands, bless and improved haste on him. Nothing fancy.
did Minsc get imprisoned in your first try?

at any rate...this is very un-Gaxx-like...well, did you have tons of summons surrounding it when it turned into demi-lich? maybe it was busy getting rid of your summons first?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
Feral
Elminster

All the summoned critters were already littering the floor. I was in the process of replacing them IIRC, there was a message that his spell failed, then a hit for 2 damage, then curtains for Kangaxx.

Obviously a freak accident.

But, do people think that the MoD is overpowered? Minsc tore through Bodhi's lair (same buffs) virtually on his own in Ch 6.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
Feral
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by teardropmina:

I cast chaotic commands, bless and improved haste on him. Nothing fancy. [/qb]
did Minsc get imprisoned in your first try?

Yep. That's what I meant by him being in the ground.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

There is nothing unusual in this scenerio. The Mace of Disruption is designed to banish the Undead back to their graves. Most people KO Kangaxx on the first tap with the Mace of Disruption +2( hits as +5 enchanted by the way).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:45 AM   #8
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

MOD+2 is a live saver.... Always keep it with u, u'll never know what kinda stunt that lil baby can pull out when facing big ugly UDs ^^
Old 09-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

(unImproved) Kangaxx's first spell is always a Wail of the Banshee. This is what whacked all of your nearby Summons, but Minsc, being a Warrior, is pretty much guaranteed to make his Save vs. Death. The fact that Kangaxx casts a (relatively) non-lethal spell first is what gave Minsc time to get 2 or 3 good hits in before the Imprisonments began spitting out.

And yes, the MoD is grossly overpowered against Undead. Only a few Undead are immune to its instakill effects, and Kangaxx is not one of them.

[ADD:] Make that a Demilich Howl, not Wail of the Banshee. A rose by another name. [/ADD]

[ 09-09-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 09-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #10
Feral
Elminster

Thanks for the explanation. Silly of old Kangaxx not to stop time first. His loss, I guess.

The MoD +2 is fantastic. I feel a little bad (cheesy) about (accidentally) reading a post about how to improve +1 to +2 before I got to that point in the game. But not bad enough not to actually do it when the opportunity presented itself.

Anyway, I'm on to dispel the shadows with my light-thingy. Thanks again.