Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

OK... HERE IT IS... DONT HATE ME! The recent patch has taken away my favorite munchkining tools... this is why I have not installed it [img]smile.gif[/img] My bread and butter in a tough tough fight is Improved Invis, Animate Dead, and Otilukes Resilient Sphere... As you can see, the next time through the game is going to be INCREDIBLY lame if I dont find some replacement cheese. So step right up and lay down your all time cheapest tactics used in IWD2 against difficult bosses or just against large numbers etc. I dont want to hear how wrong this is either, if someone can still be cheap they should share the wealth! And I think while animate Dead has been crippled spells like Shades should still be REALLY powerful at high levels: Is this true? And has anyone tried Tortoise Shell on an incredibly difficult enemy? Might be a good replacement for Outilukes RS.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:57 AM   #2
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Well the most long lasting and effective tool for me (even though i havnt got far in IWD2 is summoning. LOTS of summoning.
As soon as i start my clerics and mages get summon animals I. Then everyone else becomes at least profficient with some ranged weapon.
Nothing like seeing some poor summoned goblin or skeleton recieve a beating that was destined to occur to one of your party memebers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2002, 08:53 AM   #3
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Patch did not change much for me. I have self imposed rules, in my (C)RPGs:
- No summon spells
- No ranged weapons
- No Stealth
- No cheesy/broken spells, of course.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
che
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Improved invisibility is NOT a cheat in any way, because if you have a spellcasting party (like me) there is nothing else that could get me through some parts. And I DON'T want to see any half-orcs, and dwarves in my party, so why shouldn't I use what I have?
Cheating is using that bards song to quickly heal your party during the battle (by clicking constantly the song's button)
And when you summon a creature: HASTE IT, sit back and enjoy!
Old 10-23-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

The usual trick:

1. Animate dead, plenty of them. I think the maximum number of dead allowed is 6. I picked this spell for my female srocerer, so she could practically cast about 8 of this cool spell.

2. Cast haste on the animated undeads and let them loose.

3. Cast improve invisiblity of your party members, again I picked this spell for my sorcerer and in no time, all the party members are invisible.

4. Repeat until all enemies has been eliminated.

This stratergy is quite effective agianst most foes but I have yet to test it on the big bosses (guardian and etc).
Old 10-23-2002, 04:15 PM   #6
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
improved invisibility is NOT a cheat in any way,
So something that lets you do whatever you want, but wont let the enemy attack you isnt a cheat?
Thats what the broken Improved Invisiblity did. Its even worse that there is no good anti-invisibilty spell in the game.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:03 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
improved invisibility is NOT a cheat in any way,
So something that lets you do whatever you want, but wont let the enemy attack you isnt a cheat?
Thats what the broken Improved Invisiblity did. Its even worse that there is no good anti-invisibilty spell in the game.
[/QUOTE]Well. I never used improved invisibility (not because I thought it was cheesy, I'm just not an invisibility type gal ), but remember enemies can reap the benefits from it as well. An annoying person in dragon's eye cast non-detection then improved invisibility on himself and we couldn't get rid of it and he followed us round sticking his dagger in us for ages till we (cheesily? ) went to the next level and slept and it wore off. I think a cheesy tactic is taking advantage of some flaw in the game or monster's AI, like the old BG2 tactic of putting an improved invisibility character in a doorway between you and the enemy and killing them with range (also never used by me )
Old 10-23-2002, 05:32 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

When I read other people's tactics, it always seem to me that most people are resting all the time.

What are you all doing? Defeating an "encounter", resting, defeating another encounter, rest again,...?

In my game, I try to rest only when I have no magic left, no items, and all my characters are at 10% health left, and even then I continue until I am 100% sure I can't defeat the next encounter without resting. That's more realistic. You can't take 10 years to save Icewind Dale...

I think I only rested like 4-5 times in total when I completed the game.

[ 10-23-2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-23-2002, 06:41 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Why not? The finale is the biggest cheat in the game, and it's the players who are on the losing end.

Note to those who haven't finished yet: not to worry, you don't die (unless you die in battle). I just consider the ending rather poor.

Nightowl2

P.S. Of course, the cheesiest way through the game is with the cheat console.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:45 PM   #10
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Luvian,Doesn't anyone in your party complain about taking a hot soak in a tub and wanting to find a room.If I go too far between resting everyone in my party starts to complain and won't do anything ,at least do it very well!?