Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 02:37 PM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Granny Clampet from the Beverly Hillbillies had a sure-fire MIRACLE cure for the common cold.

I can't remember what exactly was in it, but it was disgusting(possibly involving possum intestines). What was the MIRACLE part? You only had to take it for a week, and then you'd be allllll better.

***This has been a Filmways presentation***
Old 11-19-2002, 02:39 PM   #12
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Granny Clampet from the Beverly Hillbillies had a sure-fire MIRACLE cure for the common cold.

I can't remember what exactly was in it, but it was disgusting(possibly involving possum intestines). What was the MIRACLE part? You only had to take it for a week, and then you'd be allllll better.

***This has been a Filmways presentation***
but colds usually only take a week to disappear

Old 11-19-2002, 02:41 PM   #13
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Try taking a few cups of neo-citrin and a good nights rest. I usually only get colds for a day when I get them, I usually have a few cups of neo-citrin and in the night I sweat, and feel like my body is going through rigomortis(the thing that happens to your muscles after being dead) and I wake up the next day fine.

Oh and keep eating as well even if you don't feel like it, soup if nothing else, it keeps your strength up and your body is better able to fight it off. Your body is using alot of energy to fight your cold so if possible you should eat a little more (healthy foods of course).

[ 11-19-2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-19-2002, 02:46 PM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

Sorry to hear you are still/again/always plagued by colds Cloudy.
I have to be careful because I haven't had one in a while and my immune system is quite low... Have choir performances in a month, and still lots of rehearsing to do, so I'm taking precautions.

Since you are also frequently ill with colds, you might want to try taking a daily dose of Vitamin C whenever you think you need it. I don't know if they're easily obtained where you are, but where I live I can get Vitamin C tablets of 1000 mg quite cheaply. When you do have a cold, take one each day.
Drink lots and lots and lots. I mean really LOTS! So 3-4 litres of tea a day or something - you'll have to pee all the time but that cleanses the body
Also for a sore throat, try a little bit of fresh ginger powder in honey. Or wrap a silk scarf and on top of that a damp cloth wrapped in plastic foil around your neck. Tell Jim he can use the silk scarf for something else as soon as you feel better. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And yes, the best cure is SLEEP, and like MagiK said, time.
Oh and like Pritchke said, do try to eat regular meals. Hot food soothes your throat (nothing too spicy though, just plain, healthy food )

[ 11-19-2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 11-19-2002, 02:50 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks alot gang! I appreciate the 'get wells' and the advice. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I used to take echinacea but read the same thing, realbinky, that it's not necessarily much help.

Argh, not TIME! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] sigh... I wanna feel good NOW! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Attalus, I was waiting for the 'alcohol cure' to show up! LOLOL When I was in Moscow my first time, I got a horrendous headcold and they were always shoving tea full of portwine or some other noxious concoction that was mostly alcohol into me! Dunno that it 'cured' anything, but I didn't notice many symptoms afterwards! LOL

RBF, I swear by hot tea with honey (or sugar) and lemon.

Ahem, uh, I think I've tried your unprintable cure, LS...I'm still coughing! LOL [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Pritchke, what exactly is neo-citrin? I don't think I've heard of it.

Umm...Bruce.. LOL, sounds positvely cold and icky! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 02:53 PM   #16
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Ahem, uh, I think I've tried your unprintable cure, LS...I'm still coughing! LOL [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
darn - Jim, you must be doing something wrong

Old 11-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Sorry to hear you are still/again/always plagued by colds Cloudy.
I have to be careful because I haven't had one in a while and my immune system is quite low... Have choir performances in a month, and still lots of rehearsing to do, so I'm taking precautions.

Since you are also frequently ill with colds, you might want to try taking a daily dose of Vitamin C whenever you think you need it. I don't know if they're easily obtained where you are, but where I live I can get Vitamin C tablets of 1000 mg quite cheaply. When you do have a cold, take one each day.
Drink lots and lots and lots. I mean really LOTS! So 3-4 litres of tea a day or something - you'll have to pee all the time but that cleanses the body
Also for a sore throat, try a little bit of fresh ginger powder in honey. Or wrap a silk scarf and on top of that a damp cloth wrapped in plastic foil around your neck. Tell Jim he can use the silk scarf for something else as soon as you feel better. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And yes, the best cure is SLEEP, and like MagiK said, time.
Oh and like Pritchke said, do try to eat regular meals. Hot food soothes your throat (nothing too spicy though, just plain, healthy food )
Thanks Mel! I can get vitamin C tablets, but I have it in my daily vitamins, too. (which, baaaaad me, I've sort of been haphazard about taking lately)

LOL@ drinking so much and having to run to the bathroom alot...LOLOLOL, ask Jim, I do that anyway! HAHA...well I don't think I'm getting enough fluids despite the frequent bathroom trips so I'll take that advice to heart!

The ginger and honey sounds wonderful!

I usually start out with allergies and if I'm stressed or not getting enough sleep/etc. I end up with a cold or worse. So far I'm holding this one down to a medium roar! Not dreadful, just uncomfortable. I hope your choir performance goes well and you just stay away from all the cold germs out there! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #18
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I use William Faulkner's remedy: take a double old-fasnioned glass, put 1 tsp of sugar and the juice of a lemon in it, add 3 cloves. Then, heat up (on a double boiler) 4 oz of Jack Daniels' Black Lable Tennessee Sipping Whiskey. Pour into the glass. Fill glass with boiling water. Garnish with lemon peel and nutmeg. Wrap terry cloth towel (white is best ), folded over, around glass. Drink ... but slowly.
Is that what you prescribe to your patients, Attalus? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] I want YOU for my doctor! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-19-2002, 02:58 PM   #19
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

MY cure for colds is nyquil thats all i take when i have a cold and it usally works in a couple of days no more cold.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:00 PM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks Cloudsy, I'm trying to
The ginger and honey tip is from my mother - I haven't tried it yet but she said it helps a lot! Also, I've taken up knitting so if you want me to knit you a nice warm scarf let me know! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Those allergies must be dreadful I've been falling in and out of colds and flus ever since I became ill, so I know what it's like for a bit. A flu or cold is moderately annoying when you hardly ever get them, but when you're sick with colds about half of the time, that just sucks!
Hope you feel better soon!