Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #1
Arcan d'Ombre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,

i've made up my mind and i've decided to customize a figther/mage type of character, with skills that i can raise fast to gain levels quickly

Male Nord (the Lady for END & PER bonus) with :
AXE
BLOCK
SPEAR
HEAVY ARMOUR
ATHLETIC

ARMORER
LONG BLADE
BLUNT WEAPON
magic school
magic school

What do you think ??
Which school of magic are the most useful ? Do i have too many weapons ??
Should i choose a ranged weapon ? Or another birthsign ?

Thanks for your advices...
Old 12-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

For the weapon skill choose only 1. having 2 or more weapon skill in theory is nice but isn't practical when you actually play the game. You'll find out that you can kill anything with just one type of weapon. Also with the limited weight you can carry you need as less weapon to carry as possible.

It's not advisable to put athletic in major/minor skill. Even if you put it in misc skill section you'll find that it will still rise when you run.

For the birthsign choose The Atronach. It will give you Fortify Maximum Magicka 2.0x INT which is a huge bonus to your magicka. Don't worry about the stunted magicka thing. as long as you have mana potion and you'll get plenty of it in the game. The lady is good for it's bonus to stats ONLY in your earlier levels. This is because when you level up you will assign stats points and those bonus seem useless anymore.

For magic skill since you have The Atronach as the sign you'll need Alchemy skill to create mana potion. And you'll also need Restoration skill for healing spells and restore attribute spells which will come in handy. Also the Alteration skill for levitation spell which you'll use in dungeons.

The armorer skill is kinda a useless too since any good adventurer will repair their item in town before they go adventuring.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Arcan d'Ombre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks !!

So what about this :

Male Nord, Combat, Str & Int, The Atronach (or i prefer The Warrior)

AXE..........................(Str)
HEAVY ARMOR..................(End)
MEDIUM ARMOR.................(End)
ALCHEMY......................(Int)
SECURITY.....................(Int)

ARMORER......................(Str)
LONG BLADE...................(Str)
ACROBATICS...................(Str)
BLOCK (Agi) or BLUNT.........(Str)
ENCHANTMENT or CONJURATION...(Int)

(I will obviously raise STR, INT & END)

Doing so, i'm ready for melee, i'll cover restoration & alteration with alchemy, i'll open locks at will, and i'll summon support or enchant objects

What do you think ?
Old 12-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #4
Oruboris

Depends on how you like to play, of course, but I personally like having restoration as a major, which gives you 'hearth heal' as a beginning spell-- a very nice healing spell that made for a LOT less resting on my charactors early on.

I also like having a wider distribution of attributes in my major/minor skills: I like to have a couple Willpower and at least one speed and one agility based. Since WIL effects how much damage you take from some magic attacks, and AGI determines how often your blows will connect with the enemy, your character will be better with them, even if he's mostly a hack 'n slasher.

I wouldn't bother with armorer, as you can pay to have stuff repaired so easily.

And acrobatics will skyrocket if you jump/walk instead of just running everywhere: not a lot of point for a fighter type to have that in the major/minors, it will go up plenty fast on its own.

And I'd pick one armor type: no point in having both med. and hev, in your skills, as you can advance them regardless.

Ditto security: it can be trained easily, and doesn't need to be very high to allow you to open even a tough lock with a 'journeyman' level tool.

It all relates to how the leveling works. You level each time you get 10 skill bumps in your major/minor skills. When you level, you get three 'tokens' to use on your attributes.

If you have had 10 boosts in strength governed skills [minor, major or misc makes no difference], a token placed in Strength is multiplied by 5, the highest you can get.

If you are very careful, you can increase 3 different attributes by 5 each level.

The trouble with your guy is that, though you will level quickly, its more than likely that you will get 10 bumps in your strength based major/minors before you get anything like it in your others. That means you'll get an x5 multiplier for strength, but NOT for things like speed, etc.

In fact, you may well end up with an x4 for strength, possibly an x2 for endurance or intelligence, and that will be about the size of it: those easy opportunities for fast developement will be lost, and aren't coming back.

So the bottom line is that you want a few skills of every attribute that you will be using a lot in your misc. category [they count towards your multipliers, but NOT your levels] so that you are certain to have 10 bumps in skill for each of the 3 tokens you get to assign on leveling. That way, you can increase [for instance] Strength, endurance, and intelligence by 5 each time you level.

BOL
Oru

[ 12-27-2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote