Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 05:37 AM   #21
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I knew exactly what point you were making - you have to understand the context of who is reporting, and to whom. Australians know that 182 people died - Australians heavily frequent the night clubs of Kuta beach - Australian audiences have a great reason to be concerned about fatalities. The report on the Beeb could well have heavily originated from ABC footage. Looking at my local news tonight, the stations focus has been on all the fatalities / bombings first, then discussions of local impact, then talk on the terrorism element.

I have not seen ANYTHING, even in my local reporting, that suggests any Australian is more important than any of the 182. Hence the degree to which I take offence at your original post.

By the way - welcome to the forum - one disagreement is no cause for me to forget my manners.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:38 AM   #22
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by The Trickster:
OK, I just heard from them! They are OK.

I am very relieved!
Whew, I am SO glad for you. I can't believe that a car bomb could kill so many people. It's so sad. This planet is falling apart--well, should I say humanity is.

Old 10-13-2002, 05:40 AM   #23
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I'm glad your parents are ok! [img]smile.gif[/img]

When are they coming back to Australia?
Old 10-13-2002, 05:44 AM   #24
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:

I am very relieved!
Whew, I am SO glad for you. I can't believe that a car bomb could kill so many people. It's so sad. This planet is falling apart--well, should I say humanity is. [/QUOTE]Sadly enough if we continue on with this both my fall apart. If only religion hadnt been so abused that most people now stay away from it... either that or they abuse it even more. What a sad world this has become...
Old 10-13-2002, 05:53 AM   #25
Eudoxus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The latest TV report still states 182 dead.
No indication yet of how many of each nationality was involved. Every one is still cagey about sheeting home the blame but Indonesia has stated that it believes that it was the work of internal Islamic militant group(s) with links to AQ.
We shall see which way the Indonesian authorities tackle the problem, go for a crackdown or an attempted cover-up.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:58 AM   #26
meladril
Banned Troll

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I knew exactly what point you were making - you have to understand the context of who is reporting, and to whom. Australians know that 182 people died - Australians heavily frequent the night clubs of Kuta beach - Australian audiences have a great reason to be concerned about fatalities. The report on the Beeb could well have heavily originated from ABC footage. Looking at my local news tonight, the stations focus has been on all the fatalities / bombings first, then discussions of local impact, then talk on the terrorism element.

I have not seen ANYTHING, even in my local reporting, that suggests any Australian is more important than any of the 182. Hence the degree to which I take offence at your original post.

By the way - welcome to the forum - one disagreement is no cause for me to forget my manners.
thanks again
Old 10-13-2002, 06:00 AM   #27
The Trickster
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
I'm glad your parents are ok! [img]smile.gif[/img]

When are they coming back to Australia?
My parents have just called me, and they're leaving Bali at 11:00pm tonight (in 3 hours). I'm picking them up in the morning.

Man, that casualties figure just keeps on going up! Now it's close to 200, when it started at 24 this morning!

This has all hit home to me just how close we all are to this. Even us Australians who believe we can hide over the other side of the world. It's most upsetting.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:02 AM   #28
meladril
Banned Troll

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:

I am very relieved!
Whew, I am SO glad for you. I can't believe that a car bomb could kill so many people. It's so sad. This planet is falling apart--well, should I say humanity is. [/QUOTE]Sadly enough if we continue on with this both my fall apart. If only religion hadnt been so abused that most people now stay away from it... either that or they abuse it even more. What a sad world this has become... [/QUOTE]its odd because bali is hardly a hotbed of violence.. it was ment to be one of the most stable areas in indonesia
Old 10-13-2002, 07:02 AM   #29
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Meladril, your location says "Faerun" - are you in Australia or in the UK when you watched the BBC news report? It's not unusual for a country to emphasise its nationals, or that of a country with close links to it, when reporting the news. I don't think this is intended to mean that Australians are more important than others, but rather because the intended audience may contain a number of Australians. I know equality's important and all, but sometimes we need to take what we see with a dose of perspective.

Old 10-13-2002, 07:08 AM   #30
The Trickster
Manshoon

Well I know for a fact that Faerun sees Australian's as extremely important, as I (being an Australian) have saved the land many times! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.