Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 AM   #1
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

i am going to buy this game tomorrow, or the next day, and i want a few tips about how to play.
i have played
BG 1
bg 2
IWD 2

these are similar to planescape, or so i have heard. Mainly due to it being made from the BG engine.
I don't want to be spoiled, because i dont want to suffer from spoilers the same way i did in BG 2, i sawa a spoiler tag, and was intridued as to what it said. i ofund out some major plot spoilers and i was sad. but it was my own fault. that being said, please dont spoil me at all, not even in spoiler tags.
how should i distribute my points at the start of the game? and what is the best way to use the nameless one and morte to their full potential? and please feel free to give mt tips, but once again, please no spoilers.

thanks, Tim
Old 04-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Install all patches. Seriously.

Torment is not as combat oriented as Baldur's Gate. You can talk your way out of almost anything.

That said, talk to people. They may have something to say. Really.

Unless of course you don't want to. You can hack and slash your way out of almost anything.

Point distribution depends on the kind of character you want to make. You can beat the game with pretty much anything, expecially as you get more stat points as you get levels. And you can easilly increase your stats with items.

The Nameless One will inevitably become really powerful, regardless of what you make of him. Morte has a nice skill useful for spell disruptions. Plus he has really good AC and some resistances. I say make him a tank.

Also, whenever you meet an important character, information of them is added to the journal. Useful, for example, if you can't remember where you met someone.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

The journal isn't as powerful as the BG2 one, but is a very nice tool (the BG1 journal was clumsy and poorly implemented)

My recomendations are Wis, Int, and Chr in that order Str/Dex/Con are less important, and you'll miss alot of the game if you're not smart/wise/charismatic enough to get all the dialog options. Wis also affects a hidden stat called "luck" which increases damage, to hit, chances to perform other tasks, as well as increasing EP gained for quests (wisdom, not luck).

Wait until you leave the Hive before making your decision on the game, I got really bored with it the first few times I tried to play it because the starting areas are so flat and relatively non-interesting (unless starting a war with hookers is your thing)
Old 04-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I agree with Morg. I remember that Intelligence and Wisdom end up being quite important, no matter how you use the Nameless One. As for Morte, just don't loose any fancy teeth you may get for him LOL. Keep an eye on the ground cause sometimes stuff happens and maybe equipment drops from a NPC (trying not to spoil here).

Have fun Timothy Trotter, it's a great game, great story, my alltime favorite. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #5
A Black Falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Supposedly, if you really, really, try, there is only one (or perhaps two) fight(s) in the game which you absolutely cannot avoid through any means... of course, most people will fight a good amount, but it's certainly a game mostly about dialogue, not fighting, and it does an incredibly good job at it... the main complaint is that there is too much text to read, but I strongly disagree, at least when what's there is as great as the quality and interaction that Torment's dialogue offers... such a brilliant game...

Oh yes, and Wisdom and Intelligence are indeed extremely important for The Nameless One, regardless of class, if you want to get most of the more interesting dialogue options.
A Black Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

platter has the link for the official 1.1 patch, so when you visit his page, download that first, followed by his fixpack for torment. both are essential.

http://www.planescape-torment.org/

V***V
Old 04-13-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Like what most people have discussed, it is important. BOTH Wisdom and Intelligence. You'll miss the best parts of the game if you are somewhat stupid in the game...

Now I envy you because I have been dying to get my hands on Torment again!!! Argh.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

i got it from EB, in town. it was on sale for about $20 australian dollars