Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2001, 12:47 AM   #1
carg
The Magister

answer: 42
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 09:56 AM   #2
Draco
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I must say that I am very impressed by the people that post on this board...I am almost finished with W&W (still looking for more Conch Shells!) But it would seem that people here on this board are of my "era" of computer games. Meaning, going back to the early Wizardy games and Bards Tale games. These were my favorite games and then the Might and Magic games were released which were a lot of fun. I love to hear about people playing rpg computer games with their children as I do now with my 7 year old son Justin. I love to show him old game boxes from the 80's including the early Kings Quest Games which I was totally hooked on. Wizards and Warriors really is a game that I have been waiting to see for a long time. It has that "feel" that the early games in RPG had that has been missing in RPG games for a long time. I think that it comes down to the character development that is possible with W&W. Being able to go back and replay a game tme and time again and watch your characters grow and develop is really what RPG's are about...not graphics and etc etc but watching your pc grow and gain in power. Being able to go back through an area of a game with your original characters gives a game longevity. Ok...in conclusion, I enjoy reading all the posts and the love that is spread throughout by all lol...and hope to see you all at the Wiz 8 board soon!
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm hoping to talk Ziroc into making us a Wiz 8 board (if he doesn't already have it in the works)!
Now I don't spend a lot of time on other boards and the only other one I really frequented was devoted to a bulletin board cgi and was as nice as this board - but I do know that there are a lot of board out there that the moment you start to type a post there is a que of folks lining up to flame you. I'll never understand that - the sort of exchange we have going on this board is much more fun and productive!! The web can be good!!!

(and 42 is the answer, just as carg said)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 12:34 AM   #4
carg
The Magister

Sorry, a bit far-fetched. Douglas Adams wrote a SF series called the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. One of the major themes was the answer to "life, the universe and everything". A computer finally calculated the answer was 42. (Don't ask me why though; the rest of the books are about that.) Since you were thinking about everything too, I thought you might like the answer.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 12:53 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ye-e-e-s, except the original question in "Hitchhikers" was something like "What do you get when you multiply nine times six?" In other words, the computer (which was Earth) glitched...and we're all flotsam of that glitch (at least that's how I interpreted it). Silly but addictive series!

-Saz
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 11:50 AM   #6
Draco
Elite Waterdeep Guard

42? What?? What does that mean??? I'm all confused...did I miss something?
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 02:47 PM   #7
UncleJoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm with you, Draco. Problem is, none of my kids like RPG games. But oh, do I remember playing at Bard's Tale for hours at a time (back in the good ole days when I had time to spare!!!). I still think that's one of the very best ever, 'though some of the M&M's were as good or better. And on the other thought, I never read much Doug Adams stuff. I liked Heinlein (sp??), van Vought, Isaac Asimov (sp??), etc. I think probably the Foundation series was the best of the SF genre before the modern era. Anyway, this is a great board, Wyvern, keep up the good work.
UncleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 03:47 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ach! Vat is der youth of today comink to?

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 08:01 PM   #9
slug
Manshoon

do you think our benevolent benefactor, TREBOR, would approve of us hopping to the evil-twin site?
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 10:48 PM   #10
jonnyb58

I would just like to comment further on "42" The original question was what is the meaning of life. After billions of years the answer came back as "42". It was then discovered that noone knew what the question really was, so an even bigger computer was built to discover the question. I can't remember anymore...anyone? Also, my favorite early RPG was ULTIMA II. I was 26 at the time and had perfect 20-20 vision. After playing that game for a solid 10 days - day and night with very little rest on an Atari 800XL using a 13" color telivision, I discovered that my eyes had gone south on me and I needed glasses for the first time. But given all of that. I LOVED that game.