Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 05:31 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Guys,

How do you think IWD2 compares to the other offerings, ie BG, BG2, IWD etc.

I have to say it hasn't "grabbed" me like they did. I've played BG and BG2 3 times, IWD twice or three times. I can't even motivate myself to finish IWD 2. Actually, I didn't finish Planescape Torment as I wasn't struck on it either.

I'm in chapter 6, in the hand, up to the "fingers" and have had enough. I have enjoyed playing it, but it's been too linear, not enough side quests like in BG1 and 2. I'm also not sure about the 3rd edition rules.

Maybe it's my age, everything was better back in '95, longer summers, you could leave your door unlocked blaah blaah.

Sorry folks, what do you lot think?.

[ 12-19-2002, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 12-19-2002, 07:04 AM   #2
Axl of Darkness
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have also played the BG1 , BG2 , IWD I won all of them more than once. Also tried Planescape but gave up on it.

IWD 2.......I am in charpter 1 - 2 , my characters are leveling to 4th level and I think the game is a bit slow....Graphics are good.... plot havent convinced me but as I miss the fun for playing I will try to finish it.

Playing for fun is funny.....I plan to build a totally crazy party with this new system.

By THE WAY ....... DOES ANYONE know if you can IMPORT BACK your HIGH LEVEL CHARACTERS when you won the game.....er...and play the game again from level one with your high leveled characters ???

BEst wishes to al

ED
Old 12-19-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

Of course you can export/import your finishing IWD2 party and restart the game.

This is the suggested method for playing in Heart of Fury mode.

Don't forget to take all of your stuff out of any containers (i.e. bags of holding, potion bags, gem bags, etc.). Anything inside a container is lost during the import process. The import process will also wipe out all those hard earned GP.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

i myself think that IWD2 is a great game but i wish it had a few of the spells and sub-classes like BG2 did. I dearly miss my chain contingincies...if they make a expansion for IWD2 do you think they'll include them in it?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
Eg0[)e@th
Dungeon Master

I agree that the game is a bit linear. And the Fell Wood was freaking stupid! That was the most irritating segment of any game I've ever played!

I love the 3rd edition rules though. I think Black Isle has done a great job with an old game engine. I suppose I didn't mind the linearity so much because I've been on a tight schedule and pain medication.

Aaaaaaaah, pain medication . . . [img]graemlins/stonedout.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 02:06 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I agree, The Fell Wood was just crap. I got the sense they were simply killing time and space with this area and it makes me mad for the price we pay for these games.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:15 AM   #7
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

But why do they even NEED to fill time and space... and in such a worthless fashion... I cannnot believe that if they had to waste tme, that this is the best that they could come up with... absolute rubbish
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:38 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Both Icewind Dale games are linear. That's the point of the game. When they made Baldur's Gate I and II, they made them as an outdoor exploration game with roleplaying elements. When they made Planescape, they made a game that was all about the roleplaying elements. When they Made Icewind Dale I and II, they wanted to make a dungeon exploration and hack and slash game. They even used that as a selling point.

You can't expect all games to be made the same way, that would be boring. This is not "Baldur's Gate III, a trip to the north". So it should not be like Baldur's Gate.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:41 AM   #9
drewal
Drow Warrior

Baldur's Gate III - The Spine of the World

How cool would that be.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:23 AM   #10
Draven Drakehorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ha Ha
Baldur's Gate III with your lvl 50 party cause im pretty sure your Bhaal spawn got bored and went off to alternate planes of existence, you know he definitly nuked the astral plane, why not just goto the world spine and level it completely, Cadderly took out Aballister's plane with a thing of oil of impacts and some pissed off clerical magic
words of advice, read the cleric quintet, and never let your kids find out what your new spell did!
*referring to the book*

READ IT!! =)

and not all author's make their main characters seem all that great I mean if your the chosen one of your god and can do pretty much anything just about, id think that your pretty powerful

*I love that book*