Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2001, 03:05 PM   #11
white heron
Manshoon

Read Jerome's description again...-he/she explains it rather well.
If you're starting as a thief,you'll be starting at level 7 ,NOT level 1.
Maybe ,if you want HP and strength, and ALL thieving skills,then start as a fighter and dual to thief right at the begining of the game,....after a few quests you'll get all that strength,hitpoints and weapon skill back.(Damn! why didn't i think of that earlier!?-Sounds good to me!).

(edit), mmmm? ,just noticed....you already DID think of that!

[This message has been edited by white heron (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 07:31 AM   #12
DarkJedi

thanks everbody for he info
I did a Fighter/Thief and thats working out better than i thought, especially when i backstab with my katana(more damage and better THAC0) also i can use better armor than studded if i wanted to but without thieving abilities i find know that i am using her more than the team

Also i ditched Imoen when i got her what happens when i get out of the dungeon???

Old 03-12-2001, 10:05 PM   #13
Jimbo
The Magister

Hello DarkJedi, glad to see another thief

Some things to rember is the armour can affect our skills, and certain races do get a bonus with some of the thief skills. Page 232 will show some of the adjustment abilities, and some of the readings will tell you about bonuses races get when not using the thief ability in detection of traps, hidden doors, and the what not.

If you put on better than Studded leather (or some of the magical ones later on) you can loose your theivin' abilities, until it is removed.

I started out as a human fighter, then went to level 9, then duel classed him to a thief. Playing a straight thief or a sub-set of thief is very rewarding, but can be frustrating because you will have to rethink how you are gonna attack, and how you will keep people off your thief, some say it is frustrating, I say it is fun.

For a thief, you want dex, str, con, to be up as high as possible. I also use the auto pause function for enemies and traps, that way i can set myself and the party up for maximum effectiveness.

Hope that helps

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo [img]http://www.tgeweb.com/images/forum/icons/ninja1.gif
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 03-12-2001, 10:20 PM   #14
Sentinel04
The Magister

Bah I go assassin always . Heh a dual class would probably be better. I'll probably start one when I finally beat this game. Grr still in chapter 7...
Old 03-13-2001, 04:20 AM   #15
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Thieves are really cool characters IMHO. I had a Fighter/Thief with 19 dex (elf) and he kicked ass!
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I remember in the shadow lord dungeon there was an area with a bladed skeleton (the one with the long blades on its arms) and my fighter/thief kept running behind a pillar and disappearing and then backstabbing the skeleton till it died. Cool stuff!

Im also not an original PnP player, so I dont really like getting into the intricate details of when to dual class a character to get maximum benefits or what character class combination to play to get best results and all that sorta stuff. It just seems like power gaming to me. Feel free to disagree, since I have nothing against people that do that, but I just like to keep it real instead of trying to manipulate the system instead of just going with the flow. I know its accepted, but its not something I rather enjoy so my parties always have pure class or multiclass characters.
Play the Game, not the numbers.
Sorry for the rant

------------------
Why?
Old 03-13-2001, 04:28 AM   #16
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Fighter/Theif gets my no. 1 vote!!

------------------

"Watch your back" - Sylent
Master Theif of the OHF