Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 04:35 PM   #11
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I used to suffer from low blood pressure, ran to see a doctor a couple of times because of it. It went off by itself. But since the normal is 120 and you have 156, a visit at doctors... wait a minute, didn´t the doctor say anything?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:39 PM   #12
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I got it checked in a machine with a grip thing that closes around your arm. I was with two friends. I think they had something like 125 and 135. And thanks for replying, everyone. Especially TL
Old 01-31-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Actually the most recent studies show that any alchol will give the same results. The key is moderation. So a beer a day is just as good as a glass of wine a day. Though I think a glass of wine would have less carbs and calories then a regular beer.
Well, much to my chagrin, I've found out:
1. You are right on the carbs - beer/bad - Michelob now makes a 4g carb beer called Ultra. I haven't tried it, but I hear it's okay.
2. The other big calorie content booze are Red Wine and.... Whiskey [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 05:47 PM   #14
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Arledrian, it's possible that the machine you used is innaccurate, but a trip to the clinic is still advisable. I wouldn't worry too much until you get it checked out by a professional, you can seek advice then.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:54 PM   #15
WillowIX
Apophis

Attalus and Rokenn gave you some good advice Arledrian. I strongly suggest you take that advice. Are you experiencing back pains? If you are tell that to the doctor immediately.

Some other things. There´s no harm to eat salt if you´ve got functional kidneys. They will keep the sodium concentraiton stable for you.

Quote:
Seriously, doctors and scientists are becoming more and more convinced of the benefits of alcohol's blood-thinning properties.
That would be red wine only. Not beer or stronger beverages. Alcohol (moderate consuption), generally speaking, can reduce risk of heart disease, gastrointestinal inflammation and cancer. Since beer is a popular topic I´ll just mention it´s a great appetite enhancer.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:08 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:

quote:
Seriously, doctors and scientists are becoming more and more convinced of the benefits of alcohol's blood-thinning properties.
That would be red wine only. Not beer or stronger beverages. Alcohol (moderate consuption), generally speaking, can reduce risk of heart disease, gastrointestinal inflammation and cancer. Since beer is a popular topic I´ll just mention it´s a great appetite enhancer. [/QUOTE]Well, I hate the odds of going head-to-head with a doctor on a medical issue, but the news story I saw the other night on TV said that doctors now think this applies to any alcohol, including hard alcohol. And, what this news story recommended was 1-2 drinks per night.

I may be wrong - but so is the news.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:19 PM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, I hate the odds of going head-to-head with a doctor on a medical issue, but the news story I saw the other night on TV said that doctors now think this applies to any alcohol, including hard alcohol. And, what this news story recommended was 1-2 drinks per night.

I may be wrong - but so is the news.
Well I must say I fail to see how alcohol prevents clotting. Red wine inhibits a certain enzyme which converts fatty acids to platelet activating factors. Alcohol do no such thing since it does not contain the needed acetyle group. Hmm maybe it dilutes the blood. They recommended 1-2 drinks per night?!? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I know the Russinas claim that a shot of alchool prevents heart disease and artherosclerosis, and so far no one has proven them wrong.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #18
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I have three beers left in my fridge. Will that do me for tonight?
Old 01-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #19
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Arledrian,

I'm 43 years old and I've had extremely high blood pressure (often hitting over 200 systolic) for the past 15 or so years. Even with medication, my doctors and I have had great difficulty in keeping it down until recently (I was what you'd call a "difficult" case [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I believe that your 156 systolic is considered high borderline, although I might be wrong. At any rate, you should see a doctor about it. You've already been given some excellent advice - cut back on the salt and cholesterol. Stress can also lead to high blood pressure. Do you snore? If so, you might possibly suffer from sleep apnea and this can also raise blood pressure.