Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Isn't it an amazing thing? What about repellant magnetism (or whatever it's called) That two objects can be pushed apart by an unseen, unsensed force. I had two speaker cones in my hands the other day. Both with strong magnetic coils pushing the other away.

Amazing to just dwell on it on a primal level. I mean we can all take it for granted. Magnets are everywhere. On a fridge. But what a concept! The only way to know about magnetism is through it's effect. It cannot be seen or sensed with the natural senses we've been given.

Oh wow.... on a completely different note, I have my blinds wide open, and before me is the most amazing sunset. Pastel pinks and purples. Beautiful.

Anyhow have a great Sunday (or Monday if you're in Australasia) Don't mind me. Carry on.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

But, the QUESTION is..... does Magnetism REALLY exist!

It IS amazing though! Without it, we wouldn't have TV, Speakers, Radio, PC's and many other things... Now, if we have a pole shift, we are in trouble.

[ 01-12-2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Old 01-12-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
But, the QUESTION is..... does Magnetism REALLY exist!

It IS amazing though! Without it, we wouldn't have TV, Speakers, Radio, PC's and many other things... Now, if we have a pole shift, we are in trouble.
"Does magnetism exist?"

That has a nice ring to it Ziroc... well I never. You philospher you.

A pole shift. What would happen if such a thing occured? Is it possible such a thing could occur?

Old 01-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

WAAAAAAAAAAAY back in time, Gondwana days and such i believe there was a polar shift (though not a swap!) of a huge magnatude. Maybe someone out there with a formal education can provide details.

[img]graemlins/goodmorning.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 01-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Pole shift can happen. AFAIK theres no way to predict it.

I dont know enough about it to say what damage would be done though. Monitor colours would go all weird, magnetic navigation would become impossible, minor effects like that. Nothing that would cause us to be totally screwed that I can see.

And if you think magnetics is a miracle, what about gravity? Or radio. Invisible things that cannot be seen, but have a massive effect on our lives.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:35 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Pole shift can happen. AFAIK theres no way to predict it.

I dont know enough about it to say what damage would be done though. Monitor colours would go all weird, magnetic navigation would become impossible, minor effects like that. Nothing that would cause us to be totally screwed that I can see.

And if you think magnetics is a miracle, what about gravity? Or radio. Invisible things that cannot be seen, but have a massive effect on our lives.
Well gravity is a sort of magnetism isn't it? The two are related forces.

Old 01-12-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Polar shift I believe happens every few ten thousand years or so, but the magnetic poles do move slightly all the time.

As an archaelogist, this is used to date production on ancient kiln sites. When a kiln is fired, the iron particles present in all ceramic (clay based) goods (including the kiln itself) are fixed in alignement with the poles of the earth. So you can use highly sensitive compasses to date when a kiln was last used, by comparing the alignment of iron particles to where magnetic north was at any given period in history. The constant shift of magnetic north makes this a fairly accurate dating method for ceramic production sites.

Thought you would find that interesting! [img]smile.gif[/img] Yet another wonderful use for natural magnetism.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:52 PM   #8
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

AFAIK every few million years the magnetic poles of the planet swap places , or so scientist think. The evidence for this theory is found in naturaly occuring magnetic rocks. In large samples they will have alternateing bands magnetized in diffrent polarities for diffrent amounts of time. So North might be good for 10,000 years, then it flips and says that way for a few thousand years , then it flips back again. Scientists theorize that it is a rapid change because of the distinct change in the magnetic polarity. Some theorys are that as the earth tilts on its axis that every now and then it flips completely over. Another is that since the core of the earth is liquid that either the core or the surface slide around on the liquid layer.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:00 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Polar shift I believe happens every few ten thousand years or so, but the magnetic poles do move slightly all the time.

As an archaelogist, this is used to date production on ancient kiln sites. When a kiln is fired, the iron particles present in all ceramic (clay based) goods (including the kiln itself) are fixed in alignement with the poles of the earth. So you can use highly sensitive compasses to date when a kiln was last used, by comparing the alignment of iron particles to where magnetic north was at any given period in history. The constant shift of magnetic north makes this a fairly accurate dating method for ceramic production sites.

Thought you would find that interesting! [img]smile.gif[/img] Yet another wonderful use for natural magnetism.
That is indeed interesting Laura. Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
AFAIK every few million years the magnetic poles of the planet swap places , or so scientist think. The evidence for this theory is found in naturaly occuring magnetic rocks. In large samples they will have alternateing bands magnetized in diffrent polarities for diffrent amounts of time. So North might be good for 10,000 years, then it flips and says that way for a few thousand years , then it flips back again. Scientists theorize that it is a rapid change because of the distinct change in the magnetic polarity. Some theorys are that as the earth tilts on its axis that every now and then it flips completely over. Another is that since the core of the earth is liquid that either the core or the surface slide around on the liquid layer.
Astounding. What incredible concepts.