Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2003, 08:05 PM   #11
Grendal
Manshoon

Ill tell ya folks its not just fox. Living so close to the border here we get our own local stations, we get fox, cnbc, cbc, cnn, bbc as well as a host of other stations from the north west corner of the states (kiro, king 5, etc..) I enjoy keeping up with interesting stories so I watch all the stations and I can say with no uncertainty that American media sucks in a big way. Im not saying that ANY media outlet is perfect but with the variety we get here you can get a pretty good overview of whats being said....or in the american case...what isnt being said. The bbc and cbc are far more informative than either fox or cnn. American media is extremly biased and closed (as a whole) and they dont give you half the information that other stations do (on the same stories) The sad part is that the american public really do believe that they are well informed when in truth that is not the case.

Flame away [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 08:08 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
The subject was Fox media and the above articles sarcasm cracked me up.
Thank you very much for an enlightening read.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #13
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:

IMO Both Bush & Co. and Fox News practice elitist self-agrandizing.
So what? They're elitist, and the Dems aren't? The Dems, the biggest panderers to every special interest group, aren't self-aggrandising? Give me a break. President Bush is the Coomander-in-Chief of the U.S. Navy, and he was taking the opportunity to thank them for a job well done, and they appreciated it. [/QUOTE]I'm an independant.

Two wrongs don't make a right, with regards to your comments on the donkey party.

I know a few soldiers who privately think the President carrier landing was kinda embarressing and innappropriate. He could have thanked them from the West Wing or at their base.

It was a PR stunt; plain, simple, and obvious. It's his obligation too thank the troops as commander-in-cheif, duh.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

What funny is I watch Fox 3 or 4 nights a week. I like O'Reilly's show, even if his "no-spin" is spin unto itself. Plus he is amusing. Cavuto has an alright business/news shows, though his opinions usually grate on mine BIG TIME, but I catch Lou Dobbs instead, usually. I'll catch their morning show for a bit if I'm up as well.

I enjoy Fox's stock shows they have on saturday morning.
Now thats fair and balanced, IMHO, business reporting for those interested in the markets. But I'm not an expert.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 PM   #15
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I'm an independant.

Two wrongs don't make a right, with regards to your comments on the donkey party.

I know a few soldiers who privately think the President carrier landing was kinda embarressing and innappropriate. He could have thanked them from the West Wing or at their base.

It was a PR stunt; plain, simple, and obvious. It's his obligation too thank the troops as commander-in-cheif, duh.
I know several sailors who bulged with pride that their Commander-in-Chief thanked them in such an appropriate and public venue. I personally think that he did it out of true thankfulness. I know that I would have.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:44 AM   #16
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
Well Mopery, they ran up to greet him because they actually like and respect the man. Which is more than can be said for the last occupant of the White House. Oh, since you obviously didn't pay attention to the news, Bush did fly the Viking. He just didn't land it.
A. The first sentence on this thread is "I don't get a whole lot of American Media these days". And the media here has spent very little time on the "photo triumph" issue. We've had the Sars media circus and local terrorism to deal with, not to mention local corruption and dealing with Bush's on-again/off-again style of foreign diplomacy.

B. If Bush did fly the plane then at least he learned something useful while dodging Vietnam.

C. From what everyone's said about U.S. news, especially Fox, I'm not sorry. Occasionally I'll watch CNN over here but it's not fantastic. Even BBC world tends to belabour everything and miss out on reporting a lot of other, worthy news. I get the feeling that 24-hour news channels have a tough time programming 'cause they have to CONSTANTLY update. These channels are one big update, which leaves little room for any news unless somebody has died or something has exploded.

Maybe it's gratuitous, but I think they should maintain 2 channels: one to cover the updates (basically what they've got now) and one to actually report some WORLD news.

D. Please don't take this as a bash, Khazadman, 'cause I don't mean it to be, but unless you were on that carrier, you can't say for sure why the men did what they did. At the end of the day, whatever Bush's reasons for going there, the whole affair was a carefully arranged P.R. stunt and you can bet that there was some...encouragement...that the men run up and congratulate the Pres.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:48 AM   #17
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
I know several sailors who bulged with pride that their Commander-in-Chief thanked them in such an appropriate and public venue. I personally think that he did it out of true thankfulness. I know that I would have.
After several months at sea, I bet there were a whole lot of bulging sailors on that carrier. Maybe that's why Bush was grinning?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:37 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Mopery:
quote:
After several months at sea, I bet there were a whole lot of bulging sailors on that carrier. Maybe that's why Bush was grinning? [/QUOTE]Ouch! That's below the belt!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
An article on how fair and balanced Fox really is. Enjoy Chewie!!!

Fibbing It Up at Fox
by Dale Steinreich

Excellent article pritchke.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 AM   #20
Masklinn

Fox and especially the retarded O'Reilly just made the US-France lil' "problem" way worse. By their lies, the (too many) (not so bright) people that watched Fox became a tad more hateful towards France and French people. I can't forgive them for that. That was just so unnecessary.

Hopefully, right during these times of troubles, the Fox Network Company was still signing huge deals with big French Companies (I made a thread about it a while ago). A nice backstab for Mr O'Reilly. God bless America !