Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2002, 11:18 AM   #1
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

This is a topic I've been pondering over for some time now. I've been wanting informed opinions, it just took me a while to get around to asking. If something similar has been posted before, could someone just post a link and I'll go browsing.

As most of you are aware, three games will be coming out this spring/summer that all allow customization. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, and Neverwinter Nights.

I don't have $150 to spend on all three, but I could manage to scrape together enough money to buy one. The question is which one?

I thought Morrowind looked good = cool graphics and such, but reading recent reviews, some are speculating that the plot is going to be pretty shallow. I just don't know enough about Dungeon Siege to make any informed decision. I have read that it will use the new GMAX 3-D editor, which looks to be very cool. And I know Neverwinter Nights will be pretty cool. At least with the last one, I'm fairly familiar with editing the Infinity Engine via Shadowkeeper and such.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate insight.

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2002, 11:34 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I'm looking forward to Dungeon Siege most, then Morrowind and least of the three NWN, which is the only one that I might not ever buy, not even when it gets horribly cheap.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:58 AM   #3
fable
Quintesson

I wouldn't expect Morrowind to have a shallow plot. That was a problem with the previous two games in the series, and the new team at Bethesda Softworks, assembled about three years ago, was very aware of this. They deliberately scaled back the game (which in earlier products of the series boasted more than 200 towns across several continents!), and focused on making the guilds and factions an active element in gameplay, instead of a re-active one that only responded to whatever you did.

I realize this doesn't make your choices any easier. But if it helps, I would suggest watching the reviews when NWN and Morrowind hit the stands. I suspect NWN may be the richest in terms of what you can do, since it supports parties, rather than just single player games, but that's just me.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:33 PM   #4
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I'm looking forward to Dungeon Siege most, then Morrowind and least of the three NWN, which is the only one that I might not ever buy, not even when it gets horribly cheap.

Why the big DIS to NWN Neb? What have you heard that makes you think its gonna be bad?

Old 01-31-2002, 12:40 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Why the big DIS to NWN Neb? What have you heard that makes you think its gonna be bad?

Just seems to me that with a 3rd person view it's going to end up being a hack 'n' slash disguised as an RPG, your skill at strafing will probably be more important than your ability to think logically.

Also, NWN is being over-hyped a lot, remember PoR2? It was hyped as being the best and coolest, but what did it turn out to be? Boring, buggy and badly-made, just check out some of the posts in the PoR2 forum if you don't believe me.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:44 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:

Just seems to me that with a 3rd person view it's going to end up being a hack 'n' slash disguised as an RPG, your skill at strafing will probably be more important than your ability to think logically.

Also, NWN is being over-hyped a lot, remember PoR2? It was hyped as being the best and coolest, but what did it turn out to be? Boring, buggy and badly-made, just check out some of the posts in the PoR2 forum if you don't believe me.

This may be a logical point. I even remember Ziroc saying that Dungeon Seige would be better.
I will still try to get both of them though, just because I know most of you guys/gals will and I want to play online with everybody.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:

Well, I wouldn't judge NWN on the basis of PoR2. Supposedly Neverwinter is going to follow along in the traditions of the BG series. The only complaint I'd have is that it's using 3rd ed. rules. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Personally, I think all three games are going to be great. Father Bronze (great to see you here, btw!), maybe you'll have to find a 3-sided coin to toss?

With me, it's not the cost of the games, but the amount of hard drive space. With each game eating up 3 gigs nowadays, you almost need a 60-gig drive to support them all!

I need a new computer.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-31-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, Neb just one word of advice, go check out the in-play movies from NWN and you will see that you can click all you want, but all your actions are "cued" in an action cue, you tell what you want to do and your character perform it. Not like Diablo 2 that is. Morrowind seems "interesting" tried daggerfall, but well found it a bit to nah IMHO, but looks interesting, awaiting Dan´s commets on that one.

Dungon siege seems to be the most action filled one, having a seemless action with very short load times and also very fluent. This seems to be the least D&D roleplaying style game of the three. Morrowind will be standard RPG character developement as will NWN have.

Personally I will eat noodles for a couple of months and have them all! At least try unless someone warns me for a new POR experience..

But check out thoose movies!! Looks great fun!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 01-31-2002, 03:59 PM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by fable:
I suspect NWN may be the richest in terms of what you can do, since it supports parties, rather than just single player games, but that's just me.

So do the others not support multi-player games? If so that makes it an easy decision, since the eventual plan is to get a bunch of my friends from college together and tackle some adventures together.

I know that BG2 and such work fairly well with modem connections, so I was figuring that NWN would do the same, but I wasn't sure what kinds of multi-player support the others would have.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:05 PM   #10
Lord Shield

The time it'll take to NWN to come out you'll have your pension to get it with