Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
LazyLemming
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been anticipating this movie for a couple of months now, and saw it last night. I still like the premise of the movie, it's just not executed very well. It seems like none of the characters were devoloped enough for me to really root for them. The special effects were enjoyable, and it didn't suck exactly. Just mediocre, when I expected great. Anyway, tell me what you think, as I don't consider myself very qualified critic.
LazyLemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I'll let you know when I see it tonight
Old 07-14-2002, 10:54 PM   #3
Malystrom
Dungeon Master

I think the movie is good, even though the whole black dragon breathing fire thing is totally messed up and they got all the facts wrong it was quite entertaining.
Malystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

it wasn't wrong, TSR made up the concept of different dragons having diferent breath weapons, according to mythology all dragons breathed flame.

It was a fun movie, but it oculd have been better, some great special effects but it left me feeling... unsatisfied, like there was something missing
Old 07-22-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Mythological dragons have indeed weilded different breath weapons, but in 90% of all legends/ stories, they breathed flame, regardless of colour.
I thought it was well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The male dragon was pretty impressive, especially when it takes on the convoy and when it is at the castle...
Spoilers
My only problem is with the notion that there is only one male. Given that the dragons existed at the time of the dinosaurs, that means that the male dragon is several million years old. I don't buy that. Also, there would have to have been another male to sire the male dragon of the film. I suspect that males are simply quite rare. With the death of the male in this film, I would expect one of the surviving females to birth a male offspring to replace him. Nataure is not so stupid as to make an entire species' survival hinge upon one individual.
I was also slightly disappointed that the film's poster is so misleading. It shows a number of helicopters in the air with several dragons. I would very much have enjoyed seeing some cool aerial battles. A group of fighter jets taking on several dozen dragons would have been appreciated.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:43 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue> I saw it last night. I liked it for the action and suspense and all that, and the dragons looked cool, but I agree that anyone with Dragon-lore found many aspects of the story lacking. Like...so what if the male dragon died...what about the hundreds of females? How long does a dragon live? Just alot of loose ends and half-thruths getting lost...
But the action was good!</font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:38 PM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

upon reflection I'd also have to say that I couldn't really buy into the draongs being portrayed as stupid "hunt and eat" creatures, but there were some amazing visuals, and I would be happy to own it on dvd.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:17 PM   #8
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Before I saw the movie, I was looking at the ads for it, which claimed that the dragons were "very intelligent and highly evolved". Didn't see that aspect of them. I expected the film to be intelligent dragons coming out of seclusion and getting pissed off at the way humans have polluted and ruined the earth. That could have been cool. The dragons would come out and basically say "what have you done to OUR planet? You don't deserve to rule over it anymore." In the ensuing battle, we'd obviously want humanity to survive, but we'd have some sympathy for the dragons, who were just trying to protect the earth that we're in the process of ruining.
Personally, I would have prefered something like that.
Still, I enjoyed it overall. But I would have had this film be part 2, while part one would have shown the dragons coming to dominance (and would have included the previously mentioned aerial battles... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2002, 07:38 AM   #9
Jorath Calar
Harper

I saw it last firday and it was okey, awesome sets, especially around and inside the castle, but it felt like somethimng was missing, and the one male idea was just stupid.

And how come when they are entering the city thousands of dragons are in the city but then only the male comes to hunt them down... and if there were so many dragons, how did they get out of there, did they all die with the male?

Other than that it was just okey, could have been much better.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 03:30 PM   #10
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

The females all took off, because the male emerged and ate one of them. (The dragons were starving to death, remember?) The females all flew away to avoid being the next victim.

[ 07-30-2002, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]