Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
theholyavenger
Manshoon

I have recently bought Neverwinter Nights at the Electronic Boutique, installed it and it runs fine on my computer. So far the game was pretty good and the graphic is awesome!But i have a few questions, so please help(I started the game as a fighter):

1) Is the two bladed sword anygood?Should i invest a skill point on to weapon proficiency (exotic) just so i can use it?

2) Do we have to choose any of the packages offered at the character creation screen, is a default fighter too weak?

3) How come i can only hire one henchman at a time?

4) Which feats should i choose for levelling up???

5) Which kind of swords should i be proficient in?
\"There once was a warrior true,<br />with the sense knocked out of him, too.<br />But in a hamster he found,<br />some wisdom profound,<br />and now where goes he goes his Boo!\"<br /><br />~Crazy Celvan in Baldur\'s Gate II Shadows of Amn
theholyavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:15 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

1) Dunno, why dont you use it and tells us about it [img]smile.gif[/img]
2)I'm playing a fighter (mostly) and he does lots of damage
3)Thats just the way it is
4)Persuade helps even if it takes up an extra slot
5)I like the great swords I think my average damage per hit is around 20 so far. Things dont live long with a great sword around.....
Old 06-24-2002, 06:37 PM   #3
Thruar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1. You should definately invest in weapon specialization of a two-handed weapon as well as a one handed one. I think the weapons in the game which has an even chance of loading something good might not always match the weapon skill you chose the first time playing, that is unless you play the game second time where the special weapon you know will load in the same place. I stuck with greatsword and Longsword feat and also improved critical feat (Roll of 17 or higher for critical to occur Instead of 18) with both weapon classes i'm doing well. So I just say choose one of you think looks cool or you can base the average dice of each weapon performance to make your own decision. What I mean by that is a longsword is 1d8 which averages 4.5 damage excluding Strength or any extra weapon modifiers (longsword +1, etc.). Seems like some weapons like bastard sword is 1d10 which has a higher average than longswords as a one-hander, the two-handed greatswords 2d6 (average 7 damage) vs halberd 1d12 (6.5 averge).

2. Hmm after playing a dwarven fighter to level 13, so far the recommended helps a lot. There was one change I made throughout the course of my adventure which was to get the improved critical with greatswords instead of the call shots feat that was recommended. I chose called shots later on since I feel that I was using greatswords more, thus would have been more useful than called shots. But the recommended skills is pretty accurate in helping you shape your fighter.

3. I think this game is meant to give you the table top AD&D experience of controlling only 1 character. The henchman is probably there to help you through the single player campaign a little easier as some areas are tougher for certain classes. Neverwinter Night is made more for the typical table top game where you have a party of say 6 players, where each person controls only 1 character.

4. The feats that are useful for a fighter are usually recommended after leveling just follow that pattern and you should have an idea. I find Knockdown, improved critical (weapon choice), weapon specialization (weapon choice again), power attack seems to be all I used.

5. Again your choice, go back to the top and look at #1.

I hope this helps.
Thruar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:32 PM   #4
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

a lot of exotic weapons drop in the city which helps arm you up. The double edged was nice for my off hand at first. However, if you are chossing weapon focus and plan on selecting soemthign like great axe or sword ( two handed weapons) I would not waste the slot on exotic as you will want to use the weapons you are focused with. FI however you are not goign great weapon but are planning on dual wielding than it makes a nice choice to help select weapons for off hands
Old 06-24-2002, 08:05 PM   #5
theholyavenger
Manshoon

Then that's quite annoying!!!If you are a fighter and have a sorcerer as your henchman, you can't disable any traps then. You'll have to go back to town to hire a theif and drop the sorcerer.

Still, if we could hire only one henchman, can we equip them with stuffs???

Also, it would be considered impossible to fight a dragon with only 2 members in the party (has anyone met a dragon yet?).
\"There once was a warrior true,<br />with the sense knocked out of him, too.<br />But in a hamster he found,<br />some wisdom profound,<br />and now where goes he goes his Boo!\"<br /><br />~Crazy Celvan in Baldur\'s Gate II Shadows of Amn
theholyavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:17 PM   #6
DeSoya
Manshoon

you can always smash the chest open. Tomi doesn't like to disable traps, so chances are that you're going to get smoked anyway. Personally, I think he's a wuss.

The double bladed sword or the two headed axe or whatever have the advantage of doing more damage per blade than a normal two weapon combo. The two bladed sword does d8/d8 and, for purposes of fighting two handed counts as having a main weapon and a light weapon. With all the feats this (obviously) gets you a -2/-2 attack mod. When two weapon fighting normally (using two weapons) the off hand weapon will always do less damage than the main weapon. So using a longsword and shortsword would net you d8/d6 dmg with -2/-2 attack mod. You could use a rapier in each hand or what not but then your attack mods will be worse. To get the same damage as a two bladed sword (two long swords) your attack mod would drop to -4/-4 which might be okay for really high levels but not for anything below say level 15. I'm sure you can figure out the specs for the double axe if you care. Hope that answers your questions.

quick edit: The only thing you can give to henchmen is potions. No equipment. Not that you care. It seems as if their equip is either better or the same as yours. They just get less potions. Oh... if you give them a potion they drink it immediately whether they need it or not so watch out.

DeSoya

[ 06-24-2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: DeSoya ]
Old 06-24-2002, 08:19 PM   #7
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by theholyavenger:
If you are a fighter and have a sorcerer as your henchman, you can't disable any traps then.
Another reason i feel my wizard has an advantage. I can A) choose the Pixie familiar to disable traps and go with a barbarian henchman or B) go with the Panther and hire a rogue. And about equiping henchmen...No, i thought it was irritating at first, but i realized you keep that much more gold by not having to buy thier equipment and by selling stuff you would have given them.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:25 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am using a ranger, and one of the reasons for this choice was the ability to use two weapons. I do not like using a shield, it is not my style, so I fill the hole up with another weapon. I particuarly like twin katanas.

But...At the moment, I have that two-sword weapon you are referring to. It is used as two separate weapons, and not just a two-handed weapon. Thus, I am getting 1d8, 1d8 on my battles. I like the look of it, and the newness of the weapon in CRPGs, since this is the first time I have seen a weapon of this type featured. I hae not decided to stay with it, but currently, it is all that I use.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote