Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

1 ************************

For those of you who don't know DOMT = Deck of Many Things = ToB Content

I need to know how the 'Star' card (+1 to primary stat) works on dual and multi-class characters, in the following situations:

*Fighter/Mage dual class. Fighter class maximised, Mage class partial but active. Which class gets the bonus stat?

*Fighter/Mage dual class. Mage level higher than Fighter level, all abilities regained. Which class gets the bonus stat?

*Fighter/Mage/Thief multi class. Which class gets the bonus stat? Do the class levels have any effect?

Anyone willing to run a couple of experiements on this? Take apart the item .cre file and figure out exactly how it works???

2 ************************

Similarly, I need to know the end game STAT, MR% and Resistances bonuses for all of the challenges for both the GOOD and EVIL paths- I am not interested in item spoilers. Any cheese/engine exploitation to avoid penalties can be included.

3 ************************

Cleric/Mage is a very strong dual class. Now, what would be the advantages of a Gnome Illusionist/Cleric. Bonus spells for one...

What are the gnome bonuses? Is wisdom or intelligence enhanced? What are the opposition schools to Illusion? What spells will this character be missing?

===========================

Well, thats all I wanted to know. Knock yourself out answering the questions and thanks for your help
Old 02-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...rs_gate_ii.txt (you need to type this in manually or it is blocked.) For the good/bad tear thingy it tells you IIRC.

As for the dual classing, im not sure what you mean by "fighter maximised then dualled" but reckon that the active class will gain the bonus. Then once it has dualled, I bet that the mage part will get the +1 int bonus.

Gnomes get a bonus to their intelligence but suffer a penalty to their wisdom. This can be used to good effect because, unlike ALL other races, they can obtain 19 int NATURALLY without POTIONS and without BG1 and any other enhancing items (i just know someone will come along and that im wrong lol i usually am). This means that they can learn unlimited number of spells per level, 95% scribing from scrolls, +12 lore score bonus.

Opposition school of illusion is necromancy (i think) This is what has put me off playing a magical gnome as you will be missing out on great spells such as: animate dead, skull trap, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings, death spell (vital for clearing out hordes of annoying kobold etc!), finger of death (THE dragon killing spell of cheese!) and the wail of the banshee (not as spectacular). But you will get the extra spells, however much consolation that is to you it is not enough for me!

The opposition school for illusionist
Old 02-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Oooh, another couple of questions...

You are a fighter/mage with a high constitution. You are l21/22.

Good for you.

Your CON score is 20. After doing some challenges in hell, your CON is now 22.

Does the engine recognise your new score and apply the bonus hitpoints as it would a fighter?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Hmm, and in the walkthrough, I am a little confused as the strength bonus application on the Wrath tear test.

I am a fighter, I do good. Do I get any strength bonus?

I am a fighter, I do bad. What is my strength bonus? +2 or +3 to strength?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

QUESTION1 : YES

QUESTION2: FEAR TEAR (the Nymph cloak)
Good: Immunity to +1 weapons or less
Evil: +2 CON

SELFISHNESS TEAR (sacrifice for companion)
Good: +10 resistance to magic
Evil: +2 to your AC

GREED TEAR (the Blackrazor sword)
Good: +2 to all saving throws
Evil: +15 to HP

PRIDE TEAR (the dragon)
Good: +20% resistances to fire, cold and electricity
Evil: Gain 200,000 experience

WRATH TEAR (Sarevok)
Good: +1 to WIS and CHA
Evil: +2 to STR

QUESTION3: I think it implies that you recieve +1 strength to your stats permanently, but +2 bonus to any belts you are wearing, i.e they are upgraded. I am not sure how accurate this information is, however.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Userunfriendly
Elminster

wrath upgrades your natural strength only...which kinda makes it less than valuable, since strength belts SET your strength..

i typically give jaheira star, since it means extra spells, she gets higher wisdom...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]
I never realized how bad evil got it. Only one of them is really worth it, and then only for warriors.

FEAR TEAR (the Nymph cloak)
Good: Immunity to +1 weapons or less
Evil: +2 CON

You can get immunity to normal weapons from other sources, so if you are a warrior the +2 Con is really nice. However, if not a warrior, then the extra Con does no good.

SELFISHNESS TEAR (sacrifice for companion)
Good: +10 resistance to magic
Evil: +2 to your AC

I would take magic resistance anyday over the extra AC (there are a ton of AC boosting items out there, and magic resistance is far more valuable in ToB).

GREED TEAR (the Blackrazor sword)
Good: +2 to all saving throws
Evil: +15 to HP

Once again, I would take the +2 to saving throws (the HP boost is not bad, but saving throw bonuses really save your bacon).

PRIDE TEAR (the dragon)
Good: +20% resistances to fire, cold and electricity
Evil: Gain 200,000 experience

Elemental resistance is FAR, FAR, FAR better than the extra xp. You can get xp from plenty of sources.

WRATH TEAR (Sarevok)
Good: +1 to WIS and CHA
Evil: +2 to STR

If you are a warrior, and you haven't found a strength belt, then the +2 Str is nice (alternately, it allows you to use another type of belt instead of the strength enhancing type, like belt of inertial barrier). The +1 Wis and Cha is good for a cleric or druid, but that's about it. Honestly, not really much to get from this one.

Back on topic

Illusionist/Cleric is alright, but that -1 Wis hurts you more than the +1 Int helps you. Int only applies when learning a spell, and only increases the number of spells you can have in your spellbook and the chance of scribing the scroll. Honestly, you could play a wizard with 15 Int (or lower), and just use potions of genius when you scribe scrolls; if the spells in your spellbook exceed the number you would normally be allowed to have once your intelligence goes down, you keep the spells just fine.

Not so with Wis. Wisdom actually controls the number of bonus spell slots you get as a cleric. Thus, the lower Wisdom affects the number of spells you can memorize in the first place, lowering the number of cleric spells you can use per day. Lower Intelligence only hurts you under one circumstance (learning spells), while Lower Wisdom hurts you all the time.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

ToWrath:

Me Good = +1 WIS & +1 CHA
Me Evil = +2 STR & +1 Primary Stat.

ToGreed:

Me Good = -2 Saving Throws Bonus
Me Evil = +15HP & Blackrazor

ToSelfishness:

Me Good = -2 HP, -1 DEX, -15000XP & +10% Magic Resistance
Me Evil = -2 AC Bonus

ToFear:

Me Good = Immunity to +1 enchanted weapons and less
Me Evil = Nymph's Cloak & +2 CON

ToPride:

Me Good = +20% to Fire/Cold/Electricity Resistance
Me Evil = +200000XP, some gold, Ring of Protection +2 & Robe of Evil Magi
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
~~ I need to know how the 'Star' card (+1 to primary stat) works on dual and multi-class characters ~~
Dualclass:
----
Adds to the Primary Stat. of the active class.

Fighter(13)->Mage(10) = Fighter
Fighter(13)->Mage(14) = Mage

Multiclass:
----
AFAIK, the first class in the combination. Might be wrong about this one.

Fighter/Thief = Fighter
Cleric/Ranger = Cleric

Quote:
You are a fighter/mage with a high constitution. You are l21/22.
Good for you.
Your CON score is 20. After doing some challenges in hell, your CON is now 22.
Does the engine recognise your new score and apply the bonus hitpoints as it would a fighter?
Yes. +9HP in this case.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:48 AM   #10
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

What is the maximum level for the Cleric/Mage? (8 million EXP/2. No cap remover assumed).

I also need to know the BASE spells per level for both the cleric and mage classes... please don't include the bonus spells because I have a chart for that.

---------------------------------

Mr Dorner/Oversight mod.

Suggestion: Implement high wisdom/intelligence spell/illusion immunities as detailed in PHB. Mind flayers should be able to see invisible creatures etc etc.

Thoughts on this?