Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 12:19 PM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

This could be a shot video card. I know you don't wanna do this but do try physically removing the card from the agp/pci slot and reinstalling drivers from scratch...just to be sure.

[ 05-21-2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 05-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #22
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I can't...I don't know how....

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #23
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

What is the exact error you are getting and when do you get it? Also have you patched the game? What version of Direct X are you running? If you do not know run C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe. This should give you tons of info about Direct X.

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:33 PM   #24
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ok well the first thing you need to do is look at how it ran before. Did you have any lag problems then? Ok if not, then what changes did you make in that time, install any new programs, change any settings?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #25
andrewas
Harper

You can go into control panel-> system -> device manager -> display adapters , go into the properties for your graphics card and roll back to the previous driver. At least that will get it working as well as it was before.

But first I would reinstall DirectX, either the latest download or off a magazine coverdisc. It could also be worth downloading an older version of the drivers, but I dont know if the GF2 drivers are still being modified. I use version 43.45 on my GF4 and it works perfectly.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:59 PM   #26
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Why would Directx be the problem since it really handles direct3d applications....Not knocking you or anything but actually just wondering if this has caused problems with people running NWN's.

Oh and Kaltia, if you recently reinstalled XP then Granamere is right and you need to update your vid card drivers. In essence the defualt opengl drivers that come with XP do not support the game so you need to go online and download the latest. Now that I think of it when I firstly installed this game and ran off the default drivers it was exactly like you describe your game right now.

[ 05-21-2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 05-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #27
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

You might want to check the box for NWN or this site.
http://nwn.bioware.com/about/requirements.html
Which state.

Processor Pentium® II 450 MHz or AMD K6 450 MHz Pentium® III 800 MHz or AthlonTM 800 MHz
Operating System Windows 98/ME/2000SP2/XP
RAM (Windows 98/ME) 96 MB 128 MB
RAM (Windows 2000/XP) 128 MB 256 MB
Hard Disk Installation 1.2 GB 2.0 GB
CD ROM or CD/DVD ROM Drive 8X
DirectX DirectX® version 8.1
Video Card 16 MB TNT2-class OpenGL 1.2 compliant video card NVIDIA GeForce 2/ATI Radeon
Sound Card DirectX® certified sound card
Multiplayer IPX or TCP/IP via LAN or Internet
Multiplayer via Modem 56k (2 players max) broadband

Notice the Direct X version must be 8.1 or higher?
Also try runing C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe it will help explain it. Direct X does a bunch of stuff which includes sound.

AKA no Direct X no NeverWinter Nights. [img]smile.gif[/img] Most games need it now.

Granamere

[ 05-21-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 05-23-2003, 05:51 AM   #28
Kaltia
Jack Burton

The last attempt to detect your system settings failed. This usually indicates some incompatibility between Neverwinter Nights and your current video drivers. Please check your video card manufacturer's website for the latest drivers for your video card.

You can:

1. Press "Continue" if you are confident that Neverwinter Nights will work on your system. If the game does not run, simply run the Config utility again and try one of the other options for help.

2. Press "Support" to launch your Internet browser and be directed to the Neverwinter Nights Support Website.

3. Press "ReadMe" and review the compatibility section to ensure that there are no known compatibility issues between Neverwinter Nights and your system.

4. Press "Quit" to close the program.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #29
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I have been doing some digging on nwn.bioware.com. Do a search on "NVidia GE2" without the quotes. You will get

Game Version: 1.23.6734
Game Language: English
Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Processor Type: Pentium 3
Processor Speed: 933
Operating System / Service Pack: XP Pro
System RAM: 128 megs
Video Card Manufacturer: Nvidia GeForce 2
Video Card Model: Geforce 2
Video Card RAM: 32 megs
Video Card Driver Version: 41.09
Sound Card Manufacturer: Creative Labs
Sound Card Model: SB Live Value!
Sound Card Driver Version: 5.12.01 (?)
Problem Description:
Am I to assume that w/the NVidia GForce 2 card we should be using driver 30.82 only? I put 41.09 on my PC trying to fix a horrible choppiness problem, but to no avail. Game framerate, (especially during combat), is so slow as to be un-playable. This with every vid option turned down and sound set to non-3D. Need help with this, as it appears to be a great game!
No virus protection or spyware running while the game is active.

Overall, the 30.82 drivers perform best on that card. Part of your choppiness problem is due to the amount of memory in your system. MS's recommended memory amount for XP is 128 (which is what you have), when you add on a resource intensive program like NWN, your system is having to swap memory on a fairly constant basis.

If you add an additional 128MB of memory and roll back to the 30.82 drivers you will likely see a vast improvement. Not only with this game, but anything you run on your system.

There is more to this so please go read it.
I am looking for the 30.82 drivers right now. I know I have them at home but I will see if I can find them on the web.

[ 05-23-2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 05-23-2003, 11:33 AM   #30
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Found them.
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_30.82

This should let you down load them. You need to uninstall the current driver which you should be able to do through control panel add remove programs.

Granamere