Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2000, 09:37 PM   #11
tritone

This is the best RPG I've enjoyed since Ultima Underworld and Wizardry 7. Seriously! I've virtually forgotten what it's like to play a TRUE RPG until Wizards & Warriors reminded me. Thanks to the kind people at this forum, I've been able to enjoy the game while avoiding all the major bugs - which proves it's possible to play it despite the flaws. Better yet, this proves that in spite of the bugs, it's still a good game - which means it's a DAMN GOOD GAME.

I give WW 8.5 out of 10 - 9.9 without the bugs!!
Old 12-04-2000, 09:54 PM   #12
Neal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

so mixed thoughts on it... anyone who's played Might and Magic 6-8 can you tell me how this game compares...?
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 10:10 PM   #13
nekoshippo
Dungeon Master

Might & Magic is one of best games ever played. MM6 is very difficult, MM7 and MM8 are more easy than MM6. But these games are more difficult than W&W. And Much time is needed to complete. If you do not play these games,it is worthy to play.
nekoshippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 10:57 PM   #14
emilyh
Welcomed New User

It's ok, but not the greatest game I've ever played. I'd give it a 6.5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The Might and Magic games are much better, and the quests are more challenging. I'd give Might and Magic 6 at least a 9, M&M7 an 8, and M&M 8 a 6 on the same scale. M&M 8 was a bit rushed to market and the monsters are weaker than in previous games, but it's still fun to play. The best M&M games of all time are the classics, Clouds of Xeen and World of Darkness (3 & 4).

emilyh
emilyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 11:29 PM   #15
Ravensong

Junker, I've had my share of Quest bugs, but there are plenty that don't matter how you play. I have been dropped to the desktop from Brinloch Roon literally a dozen times at least. The game has just frozen on me a bunch of times with the message "bounding error". My Group has gotten stuck in floors (Toad Village UGH!) and walls.

I would say I've had to resart this game at least 25 times due to crashes that had nothing to do with quests, or "how I am playing the game"
Old 12-04-2000, 11:55 PM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Neal, I've played all M&M games except 8, and all the Wizardry games. W&W is more of a nostalgia piece for me fitted to a different engine from the Wizardry games. If you were a fan of Wizardry, (especially 5, 6, and 7) you will probably love this game. I've read a lot of stuff on the lack of storyline here, and it's true that the main quest line is a little sketchy. There is some extremely good humor in the game, and I have to admit I was glad that I was playing in turn-based mode because during key conversations and battles, I would be laughing so hard at one of the ridiculously funny things one of the NPC's said that I'd have to pause to catch myself and then resume. But then I've always had a warped sense of humor anyway. The whole bit about giving someone a superpower sword and then warning them not to use it for destruction or conquest seems to me to be the same joke about telling kids not to stick beans up their noses. But then.

I've played the game through once, with little or no bugs. D.W. and his gang have a great idea here. I'd like everyone to remember that this _is_ a new project for them, and first attempts are always a bit limited while they get the system down. (Bethesda's TES:Arena was much like this, while TESaggerfall was much more fluid and entailed; maybe too much so. That didn't stop my enjoyment of either of them.)

Again, it depends on your goals. My main complaints of the game was that I can't stand action-like elements in RPG's (if I want to jump from lavastone to lavastone, I'll play Mario Bros., thank you NOT!) But for the most part, the pluses outweighed the minuses in my book.

My rating: Character development: 10
Game Story: 5.5
Playability: 8
Side Quest development: 9
Replay value: 8.5

Overall rating: 8.6 (just my opinion)

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 12:40 AM   #17
Lily the Ranger

Ah, I did play MM6 to the end and MM7 most of the way. MM7 just bogged down for me. It was kill and cash in. I never finished it. The two games are different. I never really got stuck in MM but I have been many times in this one (please spray all LEVERS with glow in the dark paint). I like the journal, it is very helpful. I like the auto map and flags but HATE the fact you can't look back at other levels. The Stout Mine has me bonkers. But my characters seem real even if it is hard to figure out things work (Thank you, Forum, for saving me). There is a lot you can do in this game. I have it win 98/8mg video card and haven't had too many bugs. When it comes to ladders, you are not a moron we all fall and go splat. (although I heard some rumor Kore knew how to do them . . . urban legend, I think). Have fun.
Old 12-05-2000, 07:26 AM   #18
Sourceror

Heh, I've played MM6+7 (but not . As far as combat is concerned they're IMHO much better than W&W (yet still a far cry from Diablo1+2), but in all other aspects I prefer W&W.

What pained me most in MM was having to keep track of the location of all those merchants and teachers - something that WW handles (IMHO) far superior! Now, if only you could use the cursor keys to scroll in town it would be perfect!

The only horrible things in WW (again, IMHO) are the automap/map and the odd game bugs/crashes (the patch is due Thursday, so there is at least some hope, heh).

Also, I'd like to see a shortcut for long distance travel (say between towns) - but it's still so much fun that my overall rating for this game is a 8. =)
Old 12-05-2000, 07:50 AM   #19
syphen

i love this game, its on eof the best RPGs that ive played in years, probably since back in the day when AD&D was the best bet for these games. i hated BG1 + 2, i sold them for $30 each at a local cash converters. i hated the shity try hard fallout type look to it (anyone here like fallout? i loved it) but im sure it was a good game, it just didnt grab my attention. i also couldnt really get into the whole M&M series, i wish now that i did from the reviews that are here. but W&W is a wicked game, to me the graphics are mad as hell, excellent even. with the exceoption for the spells, some of them looked kinda dodge. the game itself, is awsome, but i do have to admit i hate thinking hard about things, thats why i ask so many ?'s at this forum. to me this game rocks, i scared to say to my girlfriend "ill only be 5 minutes!" then ill be stuck and wanna play till the sun comes up. so i try my hardest not to play too much coz ill get addicted. but yes, its a great fun game. one thing that its missing from what i have read is the monsters. i am wanting a game where u see monsters like giants kicking some mayjor ass in the landscape, and its up to you to kick their ass. coz wher i am the worst i have killed is mummys, good exp for where i am, but..
and the spells, i like games where u can pick out of 200 spells to abliterate your foes, anyway..
ill give it a 10
no bugs for me
Old 12-05-2000, 07:08 PM   #20
Junker

Might and Magic games can be compared to this game I think,,,These games are simillar in many ways...., much combat, lots and lots of fed-ex quests, poor storys,,,But here is a difference Might & Magic 7-8 has a way to go evil with your party,,So If you like those games you will absolutly like W.W....and finaly to Lily !!! If Might&Magic is kill and cash in, what is then W.W ???,,lol Its absolutly the same thing here

To Ravensong..LOL did I step on your toe or something....

Its obvious some of the bugs are related to what you do in the game( But this is still a bug), not your fault...When they make this sort of game they have to think of some(all) possible things that the players does when meeting an NPC...But in this game it seems they only went for the ones they felt good and not so many others...I almost did 80-90% of the Quests in the game, wich one of them failed because of a bug,,,,It was the Quest for the living plants seed...when I met up with them in the desert, they spotted me, and I backed out(for buffing),,,when I went back they were gone...So related to what I was doing, this bug was created,,,and this was the only one that happened to me.