Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

SO far, (Don't tell me if these things happen or if they are true, and such) i haven't encountered any Giants. I loved fighting them in CotDS, well actually, i fought them once or twice. And another thing, doesn't the Dominus world map have the basic layout of Guardia? The huge ocean lake, Bayjin in the center/island. And so far, i haven't got a boat. I also expected Bayjin to be bigger, and you know what, with the Umpani quest to rescue Sgt. Glumph from Bayjin by going through the umpani water caves, I didn't really like fighting Nessie, so I went through the swamp. And the lack of monsters. Other than that, I'm very pleased. (please don't answer these things if you can get them, thanx)
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
Jerry Austin
The Magister

did you say lack of monsters......theres been times i couldnt take 2 steps......
Old 01-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well not every world is populated by Giants. (Um, to my knowledge, take the extremely popular world of Dragonlance - as far as I know, no giants there [unless they were introduced in *shudder* 5th Age or whatever that whole horror of an idea was called]). As for the same make up map wise, yes, I can see what you're talking about. The landscape on the map seems similiar, but the areas you walk in, within the actually game are nothing like the previous game.

I actually have but one, very minor qualm with Wizardry 8.

Not being able to write in your journal at your leisure. For those of you who played, say Realms of Arkania (also by Sir-Tech) namely Star Trail - you were able to write in your journal and also make your own notes, not just the notes the game puts in there. Beats having 300 pages of paper to flip through, and also adds to the fun if ya really wanna roleplay your characters and give them depth, by writing from their point of view about certain events.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:31 AM   #4
Goumindong
Manshoon

Ah, the wonderful world of DragonLance

I paterned a Gnomish Gadgeter after that world

Id tell you his name, but it would bogg down the forums...

we just call him Smithy
Goumindong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:27 AM   #5
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

It is hard to explain but sometimes the characters with the highest initiative are disadvataged:

Say you have one melee guy with very high initiative and another with a low one.

Combat begins with a Berserker at thrown rage.
The high init guy acts first, no valid target, looses three swings and defends
The berserker advances to short range
The guy with low init attacks
End of round

I think it is disappointing and would have liked the guys who could not act at their initiative turn act in the end of the round instead in what some call a "delayed action".

I know that a solution is to make a dummy move all, thus all the guys will basically act on the initiative of the party member with the lowest one, but that is rarely the optimal solution.

(I dunno what that Guardia thing is so I could not comment on that [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 01-05-2002, 01:15 AM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

hmm, one other thing i don't like is that higardi whatevers(bandits, rouges etc) have very far movement, while you don't. Not that they're hard, cuz with just fireball and some arrow shots, there dead, but really, why can't I move half the map? Thats it.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:35 AM   #7
chimera99
The Magister

"It is hard to explain but sometimes the characters with the highest initiative are disadvataged:
Say you have one melee guy with very high initiative and another with a low one.

Combat begins with a Berserker at thrown rage.
The high init guy acts first, no valid target, looses three swings and defends
The berserker advances to short range
The guy with low init attacks
End of round

I think it is disappointing and would have liked the guys who could not act at their initiative turn act in the end of the round instead in what some call a "delayed action".

I know that a solution is to make a dummy move all, thus all the guys will basically act on the initiative of the party member with the lowest one, but that is rarely the optimal solution."

I totally agree! Also, doing a dummy move is really not a great answer to the problem because you give up some initive just by asking for the move. It probably better than losing your fastest guy(s) however.
chimera99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 11:50 AM   #8
Gorukha
Welcomed New User

My greatest dissapointment was the uselessness of direct damage spells.
Gorukha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:25 AM   #9
Knip Dyolf
The Magister

The automap on multi levels. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]
YUCK

Knip
\"Listen, strange women lyin\' in ponds distributin\' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. \"<br />Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Knip Dyolf is offline   Reply With Quote