Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 01:59 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One ship sails East, one ships sails West,
While the selfsame breezes blow,
Its the set of the sail that sharpens the gales
and determines the way that they go.

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
as we journey along through life.
'Tis the set of the soul that determines your goal,
and neither the calm nor the strife.

--ELLA WILCOX

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must...neither drift, nor lie at anchor.

--OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you be a lion or a gazelle...when that sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens; not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes...a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results.

True leaders have the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others.

One never sets out to be a leader. One becomes a leader by the quality of one's actions and the integrity of one's intent.

Leaders are like eagles. They don't flock; you find them one at a time.

What we can easily see is but a small fraction of what is possible. Imagination is having the vision to see what is just below the surface; to picture that which is essential, but invisible to the eye.

Maya Angelou recounts a moment from her childhood when she was trying to open a stuck jar lid.

"Are you twisting as far as possible?" her mother asked her.

"Yes," Maya replied, tearfully.

"Good," her mother said. "Now twist POSSIBLE."

The jar lid came off.

__________________________________________________ _

Credit belongs to the participants in the arena. Those who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions to a worthy cause, who at best know the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, fail while daring greatly...their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

--THEODORE ROOSEVELT

You are not finished when you lose. You are finished when you quit.

Successful is the person who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much, who has gained the respect of children, who leaves the world better than they found it, who has never lacked appreciation for the earth's beauty, who has always sought for the best in others, and always gives the best of themselves.

There once was a very wise man who lived in a village. He had a family and a wonderful farm. One day a beautiful white stallion presented himself to the man. The people of the village, upon seeing the stallion, said; "Oh you must sell this beautiful horse before he runs away, back to the wild from where he came. He will bring you much money. You must sell this beautiful horse." The wise man said, "No, all I know is that I have a beautiful horse." I do not know that I am suppose to sell him or that he will run away. I just know that I have a horse."

Some time passed, and the beautiful white stallion left the ranch. The people of the village came to the man and said; "See, we told you, you should have sold the horse. He has run away, like we said, and now you have nothing. You should have sold the horse." The wise man replied; "No, all I know is that I do not have the horse. I do not know that I should have sold him. I do not know that he has run away. All I know is that the horse is not here."

Some time passed and the horse returned to the farm. When he returned, he brought with him 12 more wild horses. The people of the village came to the man. They said; "You were right, the horse did not run away. He only left to bring back more horses. This is good. It is good that you now have all of these wild horses." The man said; I don’t know that it is good or bad. All I know is that I now have many horses."

As time again passed, the farmer’s son started to train the wild horses. One day while training, the son was injured and broke both of his legs. The people of the village came to the man and said; "See, we were right, you should not have kept that white horse. Because of him, your son now has 2 broken legs and cannot walk." The man replied to the villagers, "I do not know that it is good or bad that I kept the horse. All I know is that my son has two broken legs."

More times passed, and a war broke out with another village. The men were expected to go fight a foe which they had very little chance of beating. All men of fighting age were summoned to the task...except...the farmer’s son as he was incapacitated with his two broken legs. Once again, the people of the village came to the man. This time they said; "You were right, it was a good thing that you kept that white horse. Because of that horse, your son has two broken legs and will not be called to war and surely die like the rest of our sons. The man replied; "I do not know if I should have kept the white horse or not. All I know is that my son will not be going to war."

There is no "right" and no "wrong". There are only choices and consequences.

This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you are doing today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something you have left behind. Let it be something worthwhile.

Watch your thoughts, because they become your words.

Choose your words, because they become your deeds.

Understand your deeds, because they become your habits.

Study your habits, because they become your character.

Develop your character, because it becomes your destiny.

Any good I can do here, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I may never pass this way again.

Believe in yourself. You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. You must do that which you think you cannot do.

--ELEANOR ROOSEVELT

Give yourself fully to your endeavors. Construct your character through excellent actions and determine to pay the price of a worthy goal. The trials you encounter will introduce you to your strengths. Remain steadfast, and one day you will be build something that endures, something worthy of your potential.

--EPICETUS, Roman Teacher and Philosopher, 135 AD.

The soul is dyed through the colors of its thoughts. Think only along those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the full light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny...it is the light that guides your way.

--HERACLITUS, Greek Philosopher.

Be a guardian, not an usher, in the theatre of your mind.

--MARY PICKFORD

Those who preserve their integrity remain unshaken by the storms of daily life. They do not stir like leaves on a tree or follow the herd where it runs. In their mind remains the ideal attitude and conduct of living. This is not something given to them by others. It is their roots...it is a strength that exists deep within.

--NATIVE AMERICAN TEACHING

The sea is dangerous and its storms are terrible, but these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore. Unlike the mediocre, intrepid spirits seek victory over those things that seem impossible. It is with an iron will that they embark upon the most daring of all endeavors, to meet the shadowed future without fear and conquer the unknown.

--FERDINAND MAGELLAN

Where there is passion and desire, there will always be a new frontier.

In the end, each of us will be judged by our standard of life, not by our standard of living, by our measure of giving, not by our measure of wealth, by our simple goodness, not by our seeming greatness.

I have never known anyone who, on their deathbed, regret that they didn't make enough money.

--ANONYMOUS

In times of strife, there is no incentive so great, nor medicine so powerful, as the hope for a better tomorrow.

Some folk dream of success. Others wake up and work hard at it.

A ship in the harbor is safe. That's not what ships were made for.

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Treat your friends as if your world revolves around them. It does.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 09-06-2001).]
Old 09-06-2001, 02:53 PM   #2
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Wise word's indeed.

The road to happiness begins with the first step.

------------------
If you dont know where you are going, stop spin around three times and then your home.