Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2002, 01:33 PM   #1
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

My computer passes the reccomended requirments (AMD Athalon 1100Mhz,Ge Force 2 Mx200 wit 32mb ,over 512mbs ram don't know precisly) and the game runs really slowly i don't know whats wrong wit it i really want a game i have XP and have updated it and its still the same HELP ME
and i am running direct x 8.1

[ 07-02-2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Too Hot ]
Old 07-04-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Dunno dude? You got the same vid card as me, more RAM and a faster processor.

Have you got the latest drivers from NVidia? They released new ones at the beggining of last month. - NVidia drivers - 8.25mb download

You could also do a DeFrag, might help? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 01:08 AM   #3
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

The lastest version of the nvida drivers have caused slowdown problems in some computers. i found this out on the official boards, and they are recommending rolling back to the version before...
Old 07-04-2002, 01:11 AM   #4
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Say what? bugger!
Ummm... how do I do that?
Old 07-04-2002, 06:17 AM   #5
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

just install an older version of the drivers - on nvidia's homepage they have a "drivers archive" with older drivers. I'm running win98se and even though there exists some new drivers, i'm still using ver 12.41 as it's the most stable driver (both dungeon siege and morrowind runs best with this one) and it works just fine with NWN.

GodSlayer
GodSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:21 AM   #6
Zidane
Manshoon

I updated my nvidia drivers, my XP drivers and my sound blaster drivers, I posted my details on Biowares self help boards and a very kind bloke from Helsinki told me exactly what to download, from where and how to do it.

With the latest drivers, my NWN rocks

I have

Intel Celeron 1.1mhz
256 cache
256 mb RAM (another 256 being fitted today with any luck)
40gb HD
54 Speed CD-ROM
1gb motherboard
GeForce 2 MX400 64mb Video card

I was having terrible trouble, I could'nt get the game menu up, after the eye splash screen, everything went black, and when I did ctl-alt-del, I finally got my menu screen up and started a game, it went soooo slooooowly that it was unplayable. Choppy wasn't the word.

Apparently if you don't have the VERY LATEST drivers this bloody game will not work, not even on the best systems.

So, I downloaded and Voila, perfection.

So my advice download all the latest, I have XP too.

Just my tuppence worth

Lady Zidane

Anyway off to play now
Old 07-04-2002, 09:22 AM   #7
Zidane
Manshoon

ooooh

I forgot, I downloaded the very latest Direct8.1 drivers as well, the ones that came with my XP install didn't work the game

LZ
Old 07-04-2002, 09:25 AM   #8
Whailor

Don't just "install" new drivers, this is a very good way to "blow" things up with GeForce cards.

Go to www.guru3d.com and download the Detonator Destroyer, also the drivers you want. Follow the instructions with Detonator Destroyer to remove the old GeForce drivers from your system, then restart and apply the new drivers. Well, the ones you downloaded.

Just applying one driver on top of another is a pretty good way to call for a trouble. Sometimes it will hit you fast, sometimes after some time, but in most cases the smack will come around.. Better safe then sorry, as they say.

EDIT: corrected the URL...

[ 07-04-2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Whailor ]
Old 07-04-2002, 09:26 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zidane:

I was having terrible trouble, I could'nt get the game menu up, after the eye splash screen, everything went black, and when I did ctl-alt-del, I finally got my menu screen up and started a game, it went soooo slooooowly that it was unplayable. Choppy wasn't the word.

Apparently if you don't have the VERY LATEST drivers this bloody game will not work, not even on the best systems.

So, I downloaded and Voila, perfection.

So my advice download all the latest, I have XP too.

Just my tuppence worth

Lady Zidane

Anyway off to play now
This is exactly right. I didn't actually download the latest from the NVIDIA site, I went to the Dell site (I have a 8100). I also went out and bought an extra 128MB of RAM to bring me up to 256MB (RD-RAM is expen$ive).

Now it's kicking major ass...but I pretty much paid to get it to work the way it does now.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:28 PM   #10
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

thanx for the help guys