Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just wanted to know what you think the best combo is for starting a game of characters to chose and their roles.

What the heck I am kinda interested in when you should change their role too.

Thanks for taking it. I just like coming up with polls. They are fun to take I hop you all like them too.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:23 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

My fav character development is wizard-->bard-->barbarian-->samurai-->warlock-->assassin-->zenmaster. Or in magic terms, lol, stone->moon->sun->fiend->spirit+vine. And of course you get excellent hipoints and weapons skills! Other wise I start a party with 2 wizards, 1 priest, 1 rogue and two fighters. Lots of magic and lots of weapons! The fighters I change about level 10-12, spellcasters differ since I get the spells I want first! Priests usually goes to monk and then ninjas, with a barbarian role somewhere in between. The rogue goes to ninja through barbarian and ranger and then to be an assassin! The fighters I change to what I feel like for the moment... Sometimes they become paladins and others samurais...
Old 06-14-2002, 08:04 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

My favorite starting group is fighter, rogue, mage, mage, priest and priest. I always go heavy on the magic users!

After a number of good levels I changed my fighter to a Paladin (can't hurt to have more healing spells). The rogue I left pretty much alone until we got past Ishad N'ha. For the magic users, I let them get the best of the spell lists before considering changing them (though you can change a wizard to a warlock without problems learning spells). I really don't plan out my whole development for the party ahead of time just watch what spells the magic users have learned and what classes are available and go from there. Fortunately this game lets any party combination do well!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My last party was fighter-fighter-priest-mage-mage-mage. You'll notice the rogue is missing; convert a fighter to barbarian ASAP, and you can get Traps & Locks, which IMHO is the principal reason for a Rogue in the early game. For the next game, I'd probably switch to three fighters and two mages, although three firestorms a round is pretty cool to watch...

As for advancement, I send fighters to Barbarian ASAP (for the lockpicking and for the HP). Spellcasters stay the same until I've gotten all the level 7 spells I want (with one mage in each school), and the priest(s) have got Cure Poison and Heal All.

I tend to raise levels around level 13 or so, depending on needs. The XP needed to go from 14 to 15 can just about take you from 1 to 11, IIRC. That's 11 extra hit point (at least), and perhaps some skill points too.

After that, I kind of wander around in class. I wait to go to ranger until I'm around level 5 in the Warrior Guild (hate to waste the opportunity to get Fletchery). No time at Bard (although I might try that soon), and everyone else spends time at Ranger, Warlock, and perhaps Paladin. Final classes are likely to be Zenmaster, Valkyrie, and Assassin (of course [img]smile.gif[/img] ) along with the balance of Samurai and Ninja.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:04 AM   #5
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

When I play I normally don't use anymore than two and when I use two 2 mages. I like to go single most of the time it is more challenging in the begining and when you get to cet you are aroun 300-400 if you kill every one you see
Old 06-15-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
somebody
Elite Waterdeep Guard

willow, how can you have so many magic catagories and weapon skills with one person. i know you could train at the guilds but thats way to much money (you could use an infinity gold trick, but that ruins the game
somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:49 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

err..maybe he spend a lot of time fighting random monsters to level up to train himself?

I know this takes a lot of time but that's what I do.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 05:13 AM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

IMHO one must know what that critter is going to apex at. With that, a group is way to cumbersome, too little to share over too many bodies. I always play superhero style.
Class changes must be pre-set. Here are my rules:

Whiska: fast; agile; dexterious; strong; night vision;

Wizard; through level 14: Stone magic level 6 & 7 spells acquired; learn dagger, athletics

Barbarian; level ?? proficient with traps & locks; pickpocketing; learn sword, athletics; gain fury, giantstrike, beserk, deadfall, ironmight, merchant, stunning blow; HP to 300+.

Samurai; level 11-13. gain; ancestrial guide, tiger strike,double strike, deathstrike; study fire magic, athletics.

Palidin; level 13-15. gain; noble cause, crusade; study spirit magic, athletics.

Ranger; level 11-13. gain fletchery, hawksbrow; study vine magic, athletics.

Warlock; level 13-15. gain cabalist, occulist, quickspeak, study all magics you are short in, dagger, athletics.

Bard; level 9-11. gain cloak of night, sneek, iron lung, musician, trickery; study magic, athletics.

Ninja: level 8-10. gain kung fu, lethal fist, spirit shield,. study kung fu, magic.

Assassin: Level ??? gain back stab, train everything. You are now a jack of all trades, and Master of Death.

Zenmaster: level at least 18. gain, invincible will, chi master, enlightment;

Assassin: level until game crashes out. Master of Weapons, Magic, Darkness, and Death.

Somewhere along the way I picked up:
Ancient Lore, Arcane void, Arm of Argus, Blacksmith, Dragon fire, Evil eye, Fire brand, Guardian angel, Guardian ward, Healer, Mindspeak, Oath of scrolls/swords, Scroll lore, Snakeskin,

There it is in a nutshell.
One game
One critter
Nothing can compare
At retirement,
all weapons level 14
all visible traits level 14
hit points 1,219
gold 78,000,000
100 dragon arrows that sell for 1,000,000 gp ea.
All attributes at 24
To hit +135
Parry +78
Speed +107
Magic resistance 100% on all except elements, 68%

Felix the Retired Assassin

Next Lesson
A female Whiska, Valkrie????
Anything is possible

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 07:35 PM   #9
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Felix that is nothing the first time I played it I had a pretty darn strong Samurii and he had twice as much hit points very high parry all magics immune try to pull that off.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:03 AM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Posted by somebody:
Willow, how can you have so many magic catagories and weapon skills with one person
My magic users are lousy in weapons skills until fairly late in the game. I usually let them fight with short swords, since they are supposed to do damage with other means. They got a maximum of level 3 swords. Itīs not until I can get kung-fu that I raise their weapon skills. Since all classes can fight unarmed you donīt have to worry about weapons they can or canīt use...

[ 06-18-2002, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]