Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2002, 09:07 PM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Druids don't use metal armor for the same reason Cleric don't use edged weapons. Multiclassed clerics still can't use edged weapons, so I say multiclased druids should not be able to wear metal armor.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:06 PM   #12
Daggerthorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Now I'm really stumped. I did a search on Google after Luvian put some doubts in my mind and came up with this from a general ropleplaying website (I've copy-and-pasted it cause I'm not too familiar about the policy on linking to other websites here).

Quote:
Where a cleric is a spokesman for the gods, a druid is natures representative. A druid has a magical understanding of the elements that make up the world, and how to manipulate those elements with mystic spells.While other characters can sometimes offer greater strength or ability in a specific area, the druid has greater versatility in general, and can sometimes do things that would take several other classes to accomplish. Because of the druid's intimate association with the "natural" world, druids are not allowed to wear metal armor or carry metal weapons. Their weapons may only be made of hardened wood or stone, but are potentially just as damaging and durable as weapons made of steel.
So is the fact that we are allowed to use metal armour for Jaheira or other druid/fighters a 1)Insight by BG creators? 2) Done on purpose for game balance? 3) Actually part of the AD&D 2nd edition rules?

I really do want to role play...I hate power gaming. Funnily enough though, I used to hate role-playing online (in UO) and used to love power gaming there.

edited for typos

[ 12-21-2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Daggerthorn ]
Old 12-21-2002, 10:51 PM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

This is from the old first edition rules. Back then, a druid could almost not touch unnatural things. Now, rules are less strict. The weapons restriction are not as bad. In the pen and paper game, druis can use the same weapons they can use in this game.

As for metal armor. They can't use them.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:50 PM   #14
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

personally I believe druids are not allowed to use manufactured steel weapons, or armor, no steel plate made in a forge for them, and Scimitars are made of metal(most anyway) however something like a cold forged iron sword (instead of heating the iron to forge it into the proper shape it is beaten by the smith and so it takes much longer as the metal isn't softened by the heat) would be ok, as would Ankheg plate, as it is from a natural source, much like hide armor in ToSC, or leather armor (I personally don't think studded leather should be allowed as it is manufactured armor, and makes extensive use of metal spikes riveted to a leather backing, but the D&D rules allow it due to the natural element of leather.)
Old 12-23-2002, 05:37 AM   #15
Grungi
Banned User

okay i got another way of looking at the whole thing... as bg1 isnt that expansive with its selection of armours and weapons, feel free to use metal armour if it allows you, but imagine it not to be metal but the equivalent, roleplay it to be some kind of interlinked druidic magical boar hair tunic or something with the equivalent protection as plate or chainmail, shame you can't rename armour, but you see the idea i hope, bg1 doesnt give you much chance for depth of rp so add your own [img]smile.gif[/img]
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote