Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

I had to reinstall IWD and HOW. Everything installed fine but now when I try to load a saved game it crashes back to my desktop and says the program isn't responding. What's the deal? Any body have this happen before?
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Have you installed the patches? that ususally helps, Also what are your pc specs, is your pc able to handle the game?

You Can Not Hide
AngelofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Oh yeah, it was handling it great after I put more RAM in it (now up to 768MB). But after I did that my pc got flaky and I had to bring it in for repairs. They thought it was a bad memory stick, but it wasn't so they thought it was the OS and reinstalled XP pro. Told me it was fixed so I brought it home and reinstalled the game and now it won't play. I have a feeling maybe my pc was never completely fixed. "sigh"
Old 01-22-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

NewbietoRPGs,

Some possible problems/fixes:

(HARDWARE)
1.) Intermittent bad bit on a memory stick. Swap memory stick positions or remove a stick.
2.) Computer having problems relating to 768MB RAM. Take out a stick (Isn't 512MB enough RAM?) or add a stick to get to 1GB.
3.) Overheated CPU occasionally missing instruction cycles. Check fan and blow dust out of heat sink fins.

(SOFTWARE)
1.) Game not fully patched. Install TotLM.
2.) Bad install. Re-install (again) IWD, HoW and TotLM (in that order).
3.) Does a new game work? Then I would guess corrupted saved game. Start a new game and import your old (hopefully recently exported) characters into it, then muscle your way through the new game to where you were before.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Well, NobleNick I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. I can create a new game so my saved game must've been corrupted. Unfortunately, I didn't export my characters!! [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] So...anyone got a saved game they'd like to send me? [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] I was just about to go into Joril's cave. Send it to my pm if you would like. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll send you another address to use.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

NewbietoRPGs,

You're all the way to Joril's cave and you only have ONE save? Acckkk!! Forgive me for pouncing on you when you're down; but you should have saved games to AT LEAST 20 unique game names by now. You should be saving AT LEAST once an hour, and especially after just completing a difficult battle or time-consuming task. (Example: Dragon_Eye_lvl2_1; Dragon_Eye_lvl2_2; Dragon_Eye_lvl2_3, Dragon_Eye_lvl3_1; etc.) But, I guess you REALLY know why, now; so I'll leave you alone in your misery...

I am notorious for letting my mouth overload my body; but if no one else steps up to the plate, I will try to quickly get around to e-mailing you a saved game from my party's first appearance at Wyrm's Tooth. I will need your e-mail address, since I haven't a clue as to how to do this using PM.

Another thing you can do, that is very fun and doesn't require waiting around: If you remember the stats for each of your party members, re-roll them; then use Dalekeeper (free download) to alter their roll stats and experience to what they were when you lost the party. Then start them out at the beginning of a new game and power your way up to where you lost the party. If you are a real purist, you can then use Dalekeeper to reduce your expo to where it was when you lost the party.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

No no! I had a bunch of saves!! I did really!! But the tech guy had to reinstall my OS and when he did he only saved that one game! I was pissed at first but then I figured at least I have the latest. Now its corrupted! To check you PM just go into "My profile" and you should be able to see the message I just sent to you. Let me know if it works for you.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

NewbietoRPGs,

It's a bummer when you do all the right things and still get thumped by Murphy.

O.K., no one else is stepping up to the plate, so I'll see what I can do for you. I have classes AND work AND family obligations, so this could take a day or two.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 01-26-2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 01-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #9
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

All I can say is thank you, thank you! Take your time. Stupid pc is on the fritz again. Now they think its the processor or the board. Its a good damn thing its still under warranty! [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #10
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Hey NobleNick!
I just wanted to tell you that I finally got an actual working reinstall on my pc! Can you believe it was IWD that was causing all of me pc issues?? Anywho, I've since used the saved game you sent me and imported my characters and its working great!! Thanks again!