Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #51
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
And has anybody in this forum seen an alien? No joking please!
If you hadn't said "No joking" I could have said my sister. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I've never seen an alien, but what with all the space probes, etc, we must be terrorists to life on other planets.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #52
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Ah, Intrepid, finally I found someone informed enough with who I can have a normal scientific conversation.
Yes because it takes a degree in astronomy to know the amount of time it takes for light to travel to us from the Sun. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Then from your next post I can see that you indeed wish to have conversations at such high scientific level that no one but of course you and Intrepid could partake [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-19-2004, 09:53 AM   #53
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Speak for yourself Vaskez .
Personaly, I find it hard to bite that out of the billion billion stars out there, let alone the planets orbiting them, that we are the only life. The level of evolution or whether or not they have visited us is another story.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #54
Sythe
Ra

I'm sorry if I sound a bit dumb. But what are wormholes? Are they like black holes or something?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #55
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Holes that space worms live in, Slythe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I think they are like black holes?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #56
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Wormholes are a warping of space, like a short-cut between points in space. I dunno, ask Spock, he has all the answers...
Old 01-19-2004, 11:52 AM   #57
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I asked Jeeves, and through some internet paths found this article from BBC.
The easiest explanation I could find.

WORMHOLES

As any science fiction fan knows, one of the most menacing and mysterious things in space is a wormhole. Wormholes are a possible consequence of Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. Einstein came up with the remarkable idea that mass warps space, and the bigger the mass, the more space will be bent. This strange conjecture was proved by Arthur Eddington in 1919, when he journeyed to the Amazon forest for the solar eclipse and proved that the Moon bent light from the Sun as it crossed in front. Theoretically, a wormhole could be formed when two or more massive bodies warp space and the fabric of space collides, forming a tunnel between distant places.

The easiest way to think about this is in two dimensions rather than three. Think of space as a piece of paper, which is bent over on itself. If a weight is put on top of the paper it will sag towards the centre. If there were another weight on the opposite side, then it would also sag towards the centre, if they eventually met then a wormhole would form, joining the two regions.

Although being sucked through the fabric of space does seem pretty menacing, wormholes would offer amazing possibilities to travel through space and time. Popping through a wormhole could bring distant galaxies to your doorstep. What's more, by doing this you are effectively travelling faster than the speed of light, and so by passing through a wormhole and back you could travel into the future.

No one knows whether wormholes exist let alone what would happen if you sent a spacecraft through them. If they do exist they could be very short-lived, and may not even survive long enough for a spacecraft to reach the other side. And if the spaceship did make it, its mass might cause the wormhole to snap shut, cutting the astronauts off for good.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/d...es/index.shtml
Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #58
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I asked Jeeves, and through some internet paths found this article from BBC.
The easiest explanation I could find.

WORMHOLES

its mass might cause the wormhole to snap shut, cutting the astronauts off for good.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/d...es/index.shtml
Right, lets catapult the people we hate most into one. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 01-19-2004, 05:30 PM   #59
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Ah, Intrepid, finally I found someone informed enough with who I can have a normal scientific conversation.
Yes because it takes a degree in astronomy to know the amount of time it takes for light to travel to us from the Sun. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Then from your next post I can see that you indeed wish to have conversations at such high scientific level that no one but of course you and Intrepid could partake [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[/QUOTE]Actually, it's more like seven minutes and fourty three seconds on the average distance, but I'm not sure about that.
Conversation is a great way to learn stuff, becuase sometimes in a conversation stuff spring into your mind that wouldn't spring in just by thinking.I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, I just said I appreciated someone who knows stuff about stuff I know stuff about(does this come close to Bilbo's line in LotR?). If you want to talk to me about something related to this thread or any other thread, I'll be glad to clarify some stuff for. No doubt, there are alot of stuff you'd explain to me, stuff you know and I'm interested in. See?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #60
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Hey, I got close