Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 07:43 AM   #1
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hiya.
Me and a few friends are planning a fruit-picking working holiday to Australia this summer. Probably around December, but maybe January as well. I'm just wondering as to whether anyone knows the availability of orchard work in South Australia (ie: Melbourne and thereabouts). One of my friends says he'll be able to 'hook us up' with a job, but in the past I've learned not to be entirely trusting of his supposed connections I've looked up a few sites on the internet and things sound promising. Just wondering whether any of the natives have advice to give [img]smile.gif[/img] We may also go North to Sydney and Brisbane. I have relatives in Melbourne, so with a little luck accomodation won't be too much of a problem, plus we plan on tenting near the orchards anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Aaron.

ps: if all goes well and we make a little bit of cash on the side we'll have to organise a little Australian IW get-together. Grab a beer or some coffee or something. It'll be fun. Cheers all.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Not much fruit picking going on in North Sydney man... but plenty of drinking. Give Memnoch a boot and maybe we'll have a real IW get together! Let us know....
Old 08-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

yeah tell us if you guys are dropping by sydney [img]smile.gif[/img] . and give memnoch a call as well about that.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-22-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
yeah tell us if you guys are dropping by sydney [img]smile.gif[/img] . and give memnoch a call as well about that.
Why ? He's always recovering from some hangover, no fun.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:37 PM   #5
cazzie
Dungeon Master

i take offense to melbourne being called in the south lol much more civilised than south australia lol seriously though i always think of melb being more east than south
Old 08-23-2003, 12:53 AM   #6
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by cazzie:
i take offense to melbourne being called in the south lol much more civilised than south australia lol seriously though i always think of melb being more east than south
Heh heh, really. I should have said 'SouthEast Australians', but ah well. Accept my most humble apologies [img]smile.gif[/img]
Anyways, still in the deciding stages as to whether the Australian holiday is going to happen or not. One of my would-be travelling buddies is being most difficult. Putting the demands of his temporary girlfriend before those of the lads... most grievous of him Anyways, we'll keep you posted on whether it's a go-go, and if it is, we'll do some East-Coast Australian partying, IW style.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:08 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
Why ? He's always recovering from some hangover, no fun. [/QUOTE]Hierophant, if you drop by Sydney, I'll make sure you'll be spending at least a week recovering from your hangover.

Old 08-23-2003, 03:18 AM   #8
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Hierophant, if you drop by Sydney, I'll make sure you'll be spending at least a week recovering from your hangover.
Oh well how can I say no to THAT? I think getting over there is pretty much mandatory now
Old 08-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I contacted a mate of mine in Adelaide and he gave me the following info:

----------
G'day Mate
I have a mate that does a little itinerant grape picking and pruning around the barossa valley area- a stones throw from Adelaide -during the harvest. I can make some enquiries for you as the harvest gets closer if you want. I am sure there will be some work available in the vineyards at this time as much of the harvest is still done manually in these parts.

ALso I grew up and worked in WAikerie, Riverland SA (just NE of Adelaide) and there could be some work picking oranges and grapes during the summer. Shouldn't be a problem to pick something up. Let me know.
Cheers,
----------

Hope this helps, Aaron...

Old 08-24-2003, 02:40 AM   #10
The Hierophant

Thanks Mario! that's just the sort of info I was after [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
However, we've hit a snag. 3 of my would-be companions are now saying they can't be bothered scrimping and saving on our subsistance student income in order to afford the airfares/setup costs for going to Australia. We may have to take the cheaper option of fruit picking in Northern NZ this summer But fingers crossed [img]smile.gif[/img]