Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

With all the superhero movies and TV shows around these days, I started thinking about the costumes. Spiderman thankfully had his costume (even if slightly modified), but everywhere else, it seems like film-makers don't like the costumes. Look at Smallville and Birds of Prey on TV, for example. Smallville has their "no flights, no tights" policy. When the (horrible) Punisher movie was made years ago, I remember a comment being made that he didn't have his costume because "it made it look like a comic book". Well... Duh.
The X-Men is another example. "Let's all toss away our costumes and wear cool black leather uniforms!"
I find myself wondering what will happen if they make a new Superman movie. Will he fly around Metropolis in a leather jacket, jeans and sunglasses? In Smallville, they have tried to be more "realistic", I guess. As presented in the show, it seems unlikely that Clark would ever put on a uniform and cape and call himself "Superman". It would be too goofy. He would most likely just help people from the shadows, never being seen and wearing his normal street clothes. I find it odd that there is so much interest in heroes these days, but nobody wants to portray them the way they were originally envisioned.
Thoughts, anyone?

[ 02-04-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
I find myself wondering what will happen if they make a new Superman movie. Will he fly around Metropolis in a leather jacket, jeans and sunglasses?
isn't that how Superboy ran around? (basically)

in the horrible captain america movies in the early 80's captain america had his costume, as hokey as it was.

the Punisher did indeed have most of his costume, they just decided to remove the skull from his body armor, the result, a vigilante that only vaguely resembled the original concept.

Daredevil is coming out relatively soon, and while they changed the kingpin (big mistake in my book), his costume appears to be true to the original (as does Elektra's (I think that's her name)

the Hulk movie that's coming out... well, it's pretty hard to mess up his costume...

Batman... well lets see, #1 complaint Batman never wore body armor, he wore tights and relied on extreme training to make himself faster than most crooks could shoot. #2 complaint: batnipples - nuff said

the superman movies (and lois and clark tv show) were true to the original as far as comstuming went, I haven't seen smallville yet so I can't pass judgement)

according to rumor(from stan lee himself) they are working on a fantastic four movie (the first one made was a farce, given a minimal budget so that the studio wouldn't lose the option to make a FF film later) we can only wait and see what their costumes will look like.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
The X-Men is another example. "Let's all toss away our costumes and wear cool black leather uniforms!"
I thought the Xman movie costumes made a lot more sense then bright yellow spandex (I love the quipp by Cyclops in the jet to that effect). If you are running around doing night ops like they were the last thing you would want are bright colors.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

in smallville clark hasn't become superman yet. It wouldn't make sense for him to don a bright costume in a small town where pretty much everybody knows him. He's learning about himself and eventually we assume he will don the costume.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Sure, but the way things are portrayed, it would be highly unlikely for him to EVER put on the costume. Besides, in (old) DC continuity, he did have the costume and go about as Superboy.
Other illogical things (since we're discussing Smallville) are the notion that he'd ever LEAVE Smallville, given how many super-powered freaks are running around there. And I love Lex on the show, but if he can't figure out (a few years down the road) that Clark is Superman, I have to assume that he becomes radically stupid at some point in the future.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
Sythe
Ra

I like the redesigned costume now than back in the old 20th century! At cartoon Network at exactly 3 it use to show the Justice Guild included Aqua man, Spiderman Batman Hawkman Flash Robin etc. When I saw the costumes they way they fight and all I was laughing how silly it was. For example robin he DOESN"T WEAR PANTS!!!!!! He is wearing a green speedo while saving the day. Thank god today he has some pants (well they are not actually pants I think)Have you watched cartoon network it a funny comerical with like the leauge of villins.

Boss: Order Order we must find the way to defeat the Justice Guild!!
One Guy: Batman and Robin have utility belts we need them to defeat the guild!!
Another bad guy: YES .....UTILIY Belt.... we neeed UTILITY BELT!
Boss: What do I look like to you santa clause?
Brainiac gets up and says :Excuse ..........(silence) All I want is pants a decent pair of pantS!!!!!! (He was wearin a black speedo man was speeedo's popular those days in the late sixties?)

Those are not the exact words musta got it little jumbled up but the Braniac part is just right funny too. Happy that is all changed.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:57 AM   #7
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I admit that I prefer Robin's new costume, but I didn't mind the old one.
Still, my point is that most movies/ TV shows these days would prefer to show Robin in jeans and a t-shirt with a leather jacket or something, because costumes are "silly" or whatever.