Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 01:09 AM   #1
Big Dave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I went in and can't get past the door. It looks like I'm missing something. I was going to leave the mine entrance to go look for that something but the doorway to the outside is blocked by two Mantraps. I can kill one but I haven't been able to kill both of them.

There are six in my party. I have a wizzard with foruth level spells. But he uses up his magic on the first mantrap. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could probably revert the game. It would cost me about four hours of game time. I'd rather not have to do that.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 01:13 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Looks like you're the victim of a "Random Spawn", Big Dave!

Kill one mantrap, then wait it out until your wizard gets his mana back up, then kill the other one. The mantraps can't get their big green butts down the tunnel, so you'll be okay, just stay out of range.

Do you have any mana potions or mana more, mana max potions? Now's the time to use them!

Might that "something" you're looking for be a writ, perhaps? Here's a map where you can find one:

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 01:14 AM   #3
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmmm.... Did you ever get the miner's writ? Use that on the drawer to enter the Stout Mines. If not you're in for one heckava fight. If you have some very nice blessed weapons you MIGHT be able to beat them in melee combat when your wizard runs out of magic. If you can't beat them after a few tries, you might just have to revert game.... I killed the mantraps almost first thing after exiting Ishad N'ha on the west. Try using spells like Flamedrop or Burning Haze if you have it. That is very effective (plants, fire, plants burn)

Good Luck! You're gonna need it!

-Jafin
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 01:16 AM   #4
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Sazerac's advice was better than mine. My solution to everything is to hack it to pieces. I guess I'm a barbarian at heart BUT, if his plan doesn't work, mine could be a fallback .

-Jafin
Old 06-01-2001, 01:17 AM   #5
Big Dave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the quick response Sazerac. I'll try your suggestion. And yes, I believe it is a writ I need. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-01-2001, 01:19 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LOL Jafin! I guess I'm a spellcaster at heart. Almost everything I do in the game, I use magic on, and only resort to the hack method when I'm at close range. It gets to be that I hate the Gwylls/Nymphs so (that baby doll voice makes me want to KILL, KILL, KILL!!) that I Flamestrike them as soon as I see them on the horizon.

-Sazerac
Old 06-01-2001, 01:24 AM   #7
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

We'd probably be a pretty good team in a live rpg like AD&D. A spellcaster and a berserk warrior.... Possibilities, no? LOL, I only resort to magic when there are very powerful enemies, such as those dreaded mantraps. I took out some of the jungle lilies in the Boogre Prison by attacking them right up close!

It also provides some balance to this board!

-Jafin
Old 06-01-2001, 01:26 AM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

That would be a LOAD of fun, Jafin! I never considered multiplayer before because I've heard of so many horror stories about p-killing, but I've met so many cool people here on the forum, there's several I'd be proud to play online with.

Yes, we would make a great team...you taking out the up-close monsters while I target the distant ones. Nope, not much could stand in the way of that! I like the prospects!

-Sazerac
Old 06-01-2001, 09:14 AM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Big Dave - did you find the writ??

(Saz and Jafin - With your different approaches, you would make a great team!)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 08:54 PM   #10
Big Dave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I tried Sazeric's advice and it worked, although it did take a while. Then as I was leaving I was ambushed by a third Mantrap. It destroyed my party. Fortunately I had just saved. So I reloaded and lured him to the bottom and disposed of him with flamestrike. Then as I was leaving again I was attacked yet again, this time by a flying griffin. It killed my lead guy but I made it back to town and paid to have him revived.

As for the writ, I picked up a scroll along the way and when I had it identified at the Smith Shop in town, it was a writ. I don't know if that writ will work or not. I decided to put off going back to the mines for now because I wan't to get my fighter advanced to Samarai before I do.