Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2001, 05:09 AM   #1
legolas

Hi! I am back with hope again that someone out there might have something new to suggest.The problem I have is known I think, and not easy to get rid of!At least in my case....

Once more:game crashes and I am thrown out to windows each time I leave town.I noticed that this happens as soon as I try to move or when I use the mouse to look around.I can always hear Gareth speak and sometimes if I stay in place for a while the game goes on....but I am still still.

In my opinion this must be an issue with the display card and it's accelerated features in somekind since it is then that it makes use of them for first time since(in my opinion again) the town is all 2D rendered imagery.
Once more I tried everything that you suggested(Patch,Disable Graphic acceleration in windows,Swap file resizing....) but nothing solved the problem.
I didn't tried switching priorities of the sound codecs since I don't know which one is better to have 1st,2nd....etc. and honestly don't think this might help anything.

Last thing I can think of is that maybe it could be a problem with MY copy of the game even thought everything seems fine during the installation with no any errors.Hope it's not that cause I'd really hate having to go buy another copy of the game, since I really want to play it...and end up with the same results if it is something else wrong, my system configuration for example....

Anyway, hope to hearing from you all....
Legolas
Old 05-14-2001, 08:24 AM   #2
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Legolas, sorry to hear you're still having problems. I'm sure when Sazerac gets back on line, he'll be glad to help you.

Saz: sorry for voluntering your services but this poor elf needs help!

Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:06 AM   #3
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hello legolas! Have you tried installing the patch? I had to install the patch to wear a ring my vampire needed or it kept crashing when I put on the ring. I understand that this is par for the game, and it happens to everyone who tries to wear the ring without the patch. Before that, I was crashing sometimes where there was a lot going on, I haven't had any crashes since then. Just a suggestion. Oh, and I should tell you that the patch "fixes" some bugs that provide perks in the game, such as gold cheat, extra assassins, extra experience points when entering certain guilds, etc. Good luck!
Mammawlin

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 05-14-2001).]
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:45 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

legolas - not sure if this will prove helpful at all but if you send me a zipped copy of your gamexx.sav I can try to run it on my machine which has been very stable for this game. That "might" help determin if the problem is your hardward/etc. or some other problem. Of course, it might not prove anything at all, but I'm willing to give it a try and see if that will help track down and solve your problem!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 12:46 PM   #5
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey, wyv, make sure you scan it. It might be virus related and that would really suck for you to corrupt your system. I'm not saying the person sending it is knowingly doing it, just be careful!

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 01:15 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Doggone, Legolas, I don't know what to tell you, other than that it's a graphics card issue...and its most likely with the drivers of the card. It's what I suspected from the beginning, but wanted to rule out any other possibility first.

First of all, are you using the latest drivers for your card? Check over at http://www.driverguide.com/ to see if they have any updates. Sometimes there's "bugs" that can be patched with a later driver.

Second, does your power supply in your computer give enough wattage to support the card? That's what happened with me over the last two weeks...I bought a new video card, put it in the computer, everything started crashing. I tried everything, then was going over the FAQ from Hercules and they said I needed at least a 250 watt max output power supply. When I checked, I was horrified to find out that mine was only 160 watts! That was the problem...when I went back to my original configuration, everything worked. Unfortunately, this meant a complete fdisk and reinstallation of Windows to get rid of the drivers and put the old ones back on. *sigh*

The other thing is, is your motherboard AGP 2.0 compliant? Check with your motherboard's manufacturer...this could be causing you some major problems as well, if it's not the power supply.

Last but not least: is there a conflict with your IRQ settings? Even if there isn't one, your card may be locking up if it's sharing an IRQ with something else, like your modem or sound card. If that's a problem (check it in Device Manager of Windows) you can reset the IRQ's by moving one of your PCI cards to another slot in the computer and rebooting. Make sure you have a backup of the drivers! (I found that out to my ultimate regret the week before last)

Anyway, now I have a graphics card that I'm saving for when I get a new computer (sometime in the summer ) that I'm going to custom-make myself. I'm damned if I'm going to get another store-produced model that puts in cheap cr*p like 160 watt power supplies for a Pentium III motherboard.

Hope it works out. Sorry you're going through this...I just went through it with BG2 last week. And they wonder why Playstation is gaining such momentum in the gaming market!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote