Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Sad

The mappings I have done was purely in accordance to how they are used, not specifically by damage type. The way I have understood the script, all it does is duplicate the applicable bonuses from the NWN weapon to the CEP weapon. That's it. Any other bonuses or abilities are on the weapon file itself, not in the hardcoding for the weapon usage. Although I feel a trident would be more like a spear, the best choice for it is right now the shortsword or the rapier (martial, one-handed). Same thing for the goad, as it seems to be nothing more than - as described above - a short spear. Magestaves I left alone as I didn't even want to TRY to look for them. As well, you cannot have weapon proficiencies in magestaves, so there's no point trying to map something using the magestaff as a basis.

The way I have these lined up so far, bonuses such as Weapon Finesse and Weapon Specialization should finally work for the applicable CEP weapon. I could be wrong in this as I haven't gone really into the script itself to understand its inner workings. That I would leave to wiser individuals such as Ziroc and RTB. When it comes to different styles of polearms (from the guisarme-voulge to the guan'dao), they all come under the regular weapon class of "polearm" and we just change the models for them within the toolset. Very convenient, if simplifying and unrealistic.

For the trident and net using gladiator, the easiest way to do up something like that would be to give them the web-look shield and give the shield the appropriate power of Web (unlimited usage, stronger than normal spell). It would not be perfect, but it would suit the proper image. As well, you could have the "slavedriver" fighter class with the whip and goad combination with the appropriate bonuses. As well, the original falchion was actually a one-handed weapon, not the two-handed behemoth that we have currently available. (Yes, I actually looked it up.) You can all understand how it got greatsword status when you see Lizardrealm Army Fighters which stand around eight feet in height wielding it two-handed. (Minotaurs can hold it one-handed, as they are classified as Large creatures. The Lizardrealm Army are classified as Medium.) As for the trident's mapping itself, I just went with the rapier blindly. Given the way it was used before, I figured it could be used with dexterity as well as raw physical strength. If I am wrong, it could be mapped to the longsword instead. I originally had it mapped to the spear, but it seems the trident can be used one-handed. So there's no point in mapping it to a two-handed weapon when there are one-handed ones for it to be cloned to.

I am still wondering what would be the best thing to map the nunchaku to. I like the idea of mapping them to the kama so they could (theoretically) gain the same bonuses and therefore monks could use them in place of the kama. It was either that or see if one could map them to =unarmed strike= which makes for a whole new kettle of fish. Either way, they would be far more potent than they are now. By rights, they are exotic light flails, but light flails are both martial AND only useable in one hand only. (The same thing which prevents dual whip usage - something that would just LOOK cool.)

By the way, Garnet:

You are not an "old broad." You are a wonderful woman. End of story. *smiles at ya.*
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yep, this would be a good idea, but for one set back. Right now, the Commander, as a readily springing to mind example, is quite efficient at killing us all with the sword he uses, without being able to actually focus in it. Can you imagine what the end result would be?

Nunchaku are essentially short staves, broken in the middle. Directly related to the three part staff as well. If I were to map them in, I would map them to clubs, or the suggested light flails.

Tridents, as has been stated, are short spears. They have been added to the game officially by Bioware, although they weren't assigned the ability to take a focus in them. If I were going to map them in, then I think I would go with spear, sacrificing the ability to use a shield for a bit of extra damage. To me, that's the more realistic application of them.

An aside about mage staves, you can use them with tower shields, if you are so inclined, or able to use tower shields. Essentially, they should really be large wands, with all kinds of powers on them. If I were going to map them in, however, I would go with 1/4 staff. Mainly because that's what they really look like.

Critical failures aren't in game more because it doesn't fit in the style of play involved in CRPG's. At least, outside of Core rules, I don't know if they are even implemented there. Although, I do think it would be cool to do so.

Returning weapons, however, are another story altogether. I've been dabbling with an idea on that off and on for a couple of weeks, but have been too busy with module development outside of my own to give it much attention. There are a lot of variables to take into account, however I think it could be done with an equip/unequip script set. Allowing for whether there was an attack made, or if the weapon was unequipped presents a problem too.

My thoughts on it had run to something like this:
PC attacks with thrown weapon, script fires to see if PC attacked, or simply unequipped weapon, if PC attacked with thrown weapon, see if PC hit, if so, calculate damage, destroy object, create object in PC's right hand. Did PC miss, if so, destroy object, create object in PC's right hand. However, you can probably see the fault in this logic. Can I get the script to differentiate between attack, and simply unequipping the weapon? If PC equips another weapon in the right hand slot, then maybe so.
if GetItemEquipped(oPC, INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTHAND,==(""); CreateItemOnObject(oPC, "resref?ofitem", INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTHAND);
else if GetItemEquipped(oPC,"tagofanyweapon")
return;
This isn't really good code, just jotted it down right now, but I think you can see what I mean. It could work, but I'm not sure.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

surely a yo-yo is just a kind of whip, with a big nubbin at the end, when you get right down to it?

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hey, Moze, what is entailed to implement this script? Is it going to take a complete rebuild of a module it's attached to, or is there some other way that it works. Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Yep, this would be a good idea, but for one set back. Right now, the Commander, as a readily springing to mind example, is quite efficient at killing us all with the sword he uses, without being able to actually focus in it. Can you imagine what the end result would be?

Nunchaku are essentially short staves, broken in the middle. Directly related to the three part staff as well. If I were to map them in, I would map them to clubs, or the suggested light flails.

Tridents, as has been stated, are short spears. They have been added to the game officially by Bioware, although they weren't assigned the ability to take a focus in them. If I were going to map them in, then I think I would go with spear, sacrificing the ability to use a shield for a bit of extra damage. To me, that's the more realistic application of them.

An aside about mage staves, you can use them with tower shields, if you are so inclined, or able to use tower shields. Essentially, they should really be large wands, with all kinds of powers on them. If I were going to map them in, however, I would go with 1/4 staff. Mainly because that's what they really look like.
To address the the Cyrist Commander and his rather adept way of dispatching us all, one could change his physical statistics within the module itself. I never thought of that issue before, but that is something which could be taken care of IF this script really does work. I say this as I am no genius when it comes to scripting, so I am unsure of how to even apply it properly within a test module to see what happens. As well, I am not certain as to where I would access the scripting files in order to change the weapon associations.

I have to stand by the nunchaku for the time being where they are. Even though technically they could be mapped to either clubs or light flails, the weapons themselves are exotic. Meaning that in order to get the weapon mastery feats AND use them, you would need the following feats just for one weapon:

Weapon Focus (light flail) or Weapon Focus (club)
Weapon Proficiency (exotic) «= that is to actually be able to use the nunchaku
Weapon Proficiency (martial) «= if the weapon was mapped to the light flail
Weapon Specialization (light flail) or Weapon Specialization (club)
Weapon Of Choice (light flail) or Weapon Of Choice (club)

At this rate, since you have to get Weapon Proficiency (exotic) in order to use the weapon to begin with, mapping it to the kama seemed like the wisest move to me. Of course, mapping it to the club would bring some interesting results of its own. I wouldn't map it to the light flail because it just wouldn't be worth all the effort, and the light flail cannot be affected by Weapon Finesse, which the club and the kama both can.

For the tridents, I would rather have them remain affiliated with a one-handed weapon for the time being. Of course, it could be tried out with the affiliation with the spear, as we are only trying to duplicate the bonuses, not the actual use of the weapon. If that worked out, then spear would be the way to go. I originally had the spear for the trident to be mapped to when looking at everything for the first time. It does make a basic logical sense.

Magestaves (or mage staves - not sure of the proper spelling) are as you stated: very large wands. I don't think you could map those in, as they are already hardcoded into the Aurora Engine itself. I think that it does even read "weapon type: mage staff" when you are looking at one inside of the game.

==

Quote:
Also posted to me by robertthebard:
Hey, Moze, what is entailed to implement this script? Is it going to take a complete rebuild of a module it's attached to, or is there some other way that it works. Inquiring minds want to know...
Not sure. Right now it looks like you add in the script, rebuild the module once, and then it is implimented. There does not seem to be much to it at all, as the script itself seems to only do checks to see what the player has in terms of feats and bonuses versus what the player has in their hands at the moment weapon-wise. Outside of that, it does not appear to do very much. It just gives the player involved equivalent bonuses to their attacks - that's about it.

[ 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

#include "x2_inc_switches"

object oReturn = GetPCItemLastEquipped();
object oPC = GetPCItemLastEquippedBy();
int nStack = (GetItemStackSize(oReturn));

void main()

{

if (GetWeaponRanged(oReturn)==FALSE)
return;

while (GetWeaponRanged(oReturn)==TRUE && nStack==1)

int nCount = GetLocalInt(oReturn, "nStack");
nCount+=1;

SetLocalInt(oReturn, "nStack", nCount);
}

[img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] Unfortunately, right now it's giving me an incorrect variable state on stack message. Not sure what that means just yet, but am working on it. Assuming I can get this to work, in conjunction with TagBased Scripting, some throwing weapons could be made to seem to be returnable, by simply maintaining their stacksize at 1...However, it's not compliling correctly right now, so I can't test it out.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
As well, the original falchion was actually a one-handed weapon, not the two-handed behemoth that we have currently available. (Yes, I actually looked it up.) You can all understand how it got greatsword status when you see Lizardrealm Army Fighters which stand around eight feet in height wielding it two-handed.
On this basis can we build some new ones and map them across to the bastard sword, particularly as they seem to have been a thick, single-edged blade similar to a scramasax or a machete. Although similar to a longsword in length they were generally heavier; certainly knights-in-training required specific, detailed training sessions, called the Pell, in which to learn the different strokes using a falchion. To wield it they had to become an expert swordsman (fitting with the idea of it being exotic, like the bastard sword) and this training wouldn't start until they had mastered the longsword.

First draft concept:
Szczerbiec of Callarduran Smoothhands (unique) -Base weapon; Falchion

Callurdan Smoothhands and Flandal Steelskin, respectively the gnomish gods of stone and smithing, decide to amuse themselves, as surely only gnome gods could, by creating a functional sword of blue chalcedony to be given as a gift to one of the ancient kings of the Svirfneblin as a symbol both of his and their power.

Unfortunately, having somehow succeeded in this near-impossible task which they had set themselves, they couldn't decide on who should hand it over, and fell to arguing for the privilege. Deciding in the end to arm-wrestle, winner takes all, they set-to with a will. Whilst they were doing this, and being gods this was no quick match, with all sorts of cheating, conniving and generally dubious goings on, the halfling deity of thieving, Brandobaris, decide to 'borrow' it. Sadly, deciding that it was of no real interest once he had it, he carelessly discarded it on his way home.

It was found later by a wandering half-orc, who succesfully battered his way to fame with this amazing stone sword whilst simutaneously losing his mind to the Earth Elemental trapped inside it. Having finally gone insane he was last seen wandering off into the Anauroch desert, saying that he had to chop some wood before winter set in forever. At this stage the sword passed into the realms of half-legend and mystery, occasionally surfacing for a while, whether in the hands of the heroic, the mediocre or the frankly bewildered, before fading out again only to repeat the whole cycle years later.

Bonus spells:
Stoneskin - 3 times per day
Summon Creature VIII - once per day (greater Elemental)
Keen
Other enhancements (not decided yet, this is just an idea so far)

Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #18
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Unglaublich Verwustung:
quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
As well, the original falchion was actually a one-handed weapon, not the two-handed behemoth that we have currently available. (Yes, I actually looked it up.) You can all understand how it got greatsword status when you see Lizardrealm Army Fighters which stand around eight feet in height wielding it two-handed.
On this basis can we build some new ones and map them across to the bastard sword, particularly as they seem to have been a thick, single-edged blade similar to a scramasax or a machete. Although similar to a longsword in length they were generally heavier; certainly knights-in-training required specific, detailed training sessions, called the Pell, in which to learn the different strokes using a falchion. To wield it they had to become an expert swordsman (fitting with the idea of it being exotic, like the bastard sword) and this training wouldn't start until they had mastered the longsword.
[/QUOTE]Problem with this logic: though sound, it requires more feats to gain weapon mastery in the falchion than it should. If you take a look at the arguement I had about weapon mastery vs. mapping involving the nunchaku (with light flails and clubs as the two weapon choices to map to), you see that with the light flail you had to gain a completely outside feat in order to gain mastery of the nunchaku. That feat was Weapon Proficiency (martial). Using a similar line of reason, we see the same thing happens if you choose to map the falchion to the bastard sword. I will explain:

Weapon Focus (greatsword) or Weapon Focus (bastard sword)
Weapon Proficiency (exotic) «= that is to actually be able to use the bastard sword, NOT the falchion
Weapon Proficiency (martial) «= this gives you access to the falchion and the greatsword at the same time
Weapon Specialization (greatsword) or Weapon Specialization (bastard sword)
Weapon Of Choice (greatsword) or Weapon Of Choice (bastard sword)

So once again, the problem is with how the hardcoding is set up vs. how the CEP weapons are currently aligned. If the falchion was aligned already with the exotic weapons, mapping it to the bastard sword would be a suitable if not a perfect solution. Currently, the falchion is aligned with the martial weapons, making the greatsword a better choice for the mapping. That and the fact the falchion counts as a Large weapon instead of a Medium weapon, so the greatsword would be the best option in terms of a two-handed weapon. If I were to map it to an exotic weapon, it would be to the scythe specifically because the scythe is the only two-handed exotic weapon I can currently see which has similar criteria in wielding it.

[ 03-06-2007, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
Old 03-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #19
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

I can see your point but I am sure I have characters who do not have martial but who do have exotic. I certainly have a few non-fighter based WMs. from what I remember they could not get Exotic at level 1, it kicked in a level or two later(I will have to check on this), but in this case the route would be:
>Exotic Weapon Proficiency
>Weapon of Choice
>>Weapon Spec (if taking fighter levels)
>Weapon of Choice (if taking WM levels)
I may be wrong in this and will mess in my Char build module at some point to check. If anyone can correct me on this then please do, all learning is good.

*nevertheless makes obesiance in the general direction of Mozenwrathe for starting this whole thread*

Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #20
nwnrogue
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Unglaublich Verwustung:
surely a yo-yo is just a kind of whip, with a big nubbin at the end, when you get right down to it?
Except that it's bludgeoning damage, and if by some miracle you did manage to disarm by getting it wrapped around the other person's weapon, it wouldn't come back and you'd have lost your weapon.