Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2002, 09:42 PM   #1
Gwyn
Welcomed New User

I am fighting the Yuan-ti Guardian - what the heck works on this guy. He runs faster than my guys and the only thing that seems to hurt him at all is cold. By the time I deliver any damage at all he has killed all my guys.

How did any of you best him?

BTW why is there no search here? I tried finding an answer or some advice but wading through pages and pages for one thing is staggering.

Gwyn

[ 10-12-2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Gwyn ]
Gwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 09:59 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Spoiler Alert for those who havent completed the game

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

Well he's hit by like + 3 weapons or better and yeah he's hard enuf as Black Dragons come.
This is the tactic I used and it was a LIFE SAVER believe me. I later found out that their recommending this tactic on other IWD2 strategy sites so it seems to work for everyone else too.
Ok when you first summon the guardian he will usually (not always) go for the character that placed the final pillar to make the summoning circle complete.
As soon as the Dragon appears wait a second to see what character he attacks first - when you know this have your wizard cast Otilukes Resilient Sphere on that character protecting him/her from all external attacks of any form. The Dragon will continue to attack this character relentlessly so it's at this time that you get your tanks to kick some ass and hack into him as much as possible.
If you do this right you'll kill him pretty easily.
Make sure to memorize about 3 Otilukes Resilient Sphere spells and also make sure that all your tank characters are hasted (mass haste spells or individual ones) so they make more atatcks in the time that the Guardians distracted.

Happy Dragonslaying!

P.s. Ziroc disabled the search feature on the site as it was using up too much bandwidth and slowing stuff down - I think it will be enabled again soon tho due to future changes he said he's gonna be making.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:29 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, the search fonction crashed the board, so Ziroc disabled it.

Ziroc will soon update the forum software, and he will probably add the search fonction again if it work.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:28 AM   #4
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I beat the Dragon using just my Sorcerer. I made everyone go to the opposite side of the Map, then sent my Sorc to put the pillar back. As soon he starts appearing I cast invisibility or improv. invis. on my Sorc then ran outside of his sight range. Then I put 7 skull traps between my Sorc and him. After that you can summon something and have it walk toward him and the traps until he charges. As soon as he runs into the traps I cast invisibility on my sorc. And then run back to my party and rest and go back and do it again. He is Magic Resistant and will make his saving throws, but about half of them should work and those that do should incur about 20-30 damage. Sometimes a bug will come up where you cant save/sleep on this map too, but I found that reloading or going downstairs then back up fixed that. (And before anyone tells me: I know this is more complex than it had to be but I didnt have 'Otiluke's RS' or any really good +3 weapons... I was desperate and skull traps were the first thing that worked.) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 12:37 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Good strategy, but personally I don't like strategies that use the system's weakness. If it was for real, the dragon would not stand there while you rested. He would seek you out.

If it was me, I would have softened him up with the skull traps, then charged him with my party.

In my game I killed him using only my party, no summon, no resilient sphere. Just some hack and slash. It took me like 10 tries, but it was one of the best fight ever.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #6
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I know it was cheap. But... I was desperate. And... well... I really enjoy using the systems weaknesses against itself. I know its cheap and wrong, but I kind of approach every battle as if I were soloing. Im just kinda sick that way. Must be all the bad influence from the BG2/ToB days. MAN-O-MAN was there some cheap stuff in that series. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 02:08 PM   #7
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

The dragon seems too tough for me, drop any good stuff which is worth trying again? (I am about to leave Kuldahar) So If there's nothing good I don't think I want to "walk" all the way back.
Oh I tried for about 2 hrs and got tired of seeing my party being teared to pieces,
Old 10-14-2002, 06:55 AM   #8
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

i made it in the old style

hacking on him with all chars in close combat
and use me 2 heal spells ...

need 2 tries to kill the beast and a 3rd one for making it through the gate ...