Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The Help Desk at my place of employment has just released this information. Already, two computers in our company have been infected.

You may receive an email from anyone - could be someone you know that may look like this...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:00 AM
To: YOU
Subject: Re: Movie

Please see the attached zip file for details.

[ 06-25-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-25-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

No offence to anyone intended, but you have to be stupid to open a zip file when you have so little details about it... (And I bet it's not even a zip, probably an exe.)
Old 06-25-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Oohh. Thanks for the info and pre-securety message.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

I think this is the virus in question here:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=100429

But not enough details to be sure. As always, scan or instantly delete any attachments you are not expecting.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

one good thing about yahoo, is it uses norton virus protection, and allows you to have the option of veiwing before opening, so I dont bother with anything, and most of the time it will tell me email has been deleted due to virus, so I have nothing to woory about I just forward all my mails to that addy and check them there
Old 06-25-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Thanks for the heads-up Larry! [img]smile.gif[/img] , although myself, I'd have never opened up this particular virus mail, because I have already learned a lot of "basics" re viruses, but a lot of people out there are still unaware and uninformed re viruses, so it's always a good thing to post about them here, you never know, you may save one person somewhere from clicking on an infected attachment [img]smile.gif[/img]

Death to all virus makers!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

UPDATE:

Virus turns PCs into spam machines

Two tempting e-mails trick recipients into aiding spammers

By Bob Sullivan
MSNBC

June 25 — Another version of the SoBig virus, the fifth in recent weeks, hit Internet users Wednesday. Antivirus firms quickly raised the risk to medium as the worm started spreading rapidly during U.S. business hours. The latest SoBig outbreak, plus another malicious effort also unleashed Wednesday, show the line between viruses and spam continues to blur. What’s worse, virus writers are refining techniques to hijack innocent victims’ computers, turning them into an army of spam machines.

THE LATEST SOBIG WORM, as with previous versions, installs a small e-mail program on infected machines which can be used later by spammers.

Hijacked machines are the perfect tool for sending out spam, since it becomes almost impossible to trace the spam to its original sender.

This new version of SoBig has been adjusted yet again to outwit many corporate antivirus techniques. It spreads as a “.zip” file, a commonly used compression format. Many corporations that now block potentially infected attached files, such as .exe files or Word documents, still let Zip files through to e-mail recipients.

In the past, opening Zip files required a little extra work by the recipient, but Microsoft’s Windows XP comes with software which makes it easy — and in this case, makes the virus writers’ job a little easier as well.
(MSNBC is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)

Like other SoBig worms, “SoBig.E” is set to expire in about three weeks. At this point, it’s clear the author plans to simply keep pushing out new versions of the worm every few weeks in an attempt to keep an army of spam machines available, says Mark Sumner, chief technology officer of MessageLabs Inc.

“It is pretty dastardly,” Sumner said. Perhaps as much as 70 percent of all spam is now being sent from hijacked machines, he added. “This would seem to be the method of choice in the advanced spam community.”

Spam is also a factor in the spread of SoBig. The virus author doesn’t rely only on traditional programming techniques, such as reading the victim’s e-mail address book, to propagate the program. Each time, it has also been sent out to spam mailing lists, Sumner said.

In fact, the second of today’s malicious e-mails — known simply as “Downloader-BN” — is pure spam, just an e-mail without malicious code, said Craig Schmugar, a virus research engineer at Network Associates Inc.’s McAfee division. The author simply sent a spam urging recipients to visit a Web site and download a critical update for Windows. Perhaps hundreds of thousands of the notes went out, Schmugar said. Spam techniques are so efficient now, he said, that some viruses no longer have to worry about clever programming techniques to spread their worms.

The good news about Downloader-BN — it was apparently a one-shot e-mail that’s run its course. The bad news — recipients who followed the link were tricked into downloading a Trojan horse on their machine which could also be used to send spam.

Sumner thinks the blending of spam and viruses is likely to continue.
“In the past, with viruses, it was about malicious intent,” Sumner said. “The big difference here is there is money in this.”
Old 06-26-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I am glad you posted this, because I just got the email in me box today from
snkysnake@arkansas.net so if anyone gets one please remember to delete it and not open it
Old 06-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Luvian wrote :
Quote:
No offence to anyone intended, but you have to be stupid to open a zip file when you have so little details about it... (And I bet it's not even a zip, probably an exe.)
I agree but many people are new to the web or just extremely guillable when it comes to spam mail/viruses. Majority of spam is fake, with misleading titles (many attach your name if they have it) that only serve to pique the recipents curiousity.