Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 06:08 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Ah, that's handy, thanks Lennon [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-04-2002, 06:18 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

I hate this virus. Ive spent most of my working hours over the last two days eliminating it from company systems. And they have computers with open network shares and OUTDATED SCANNERS and they dont see a problem with that.

I hate finance people, I really do.

Still, once you get the very latest definitions (Did I mention half of them have uninstalled the scanners cos they think it slows down the computer to much?), find the infected .exes, remove said exes from the registry, boot to DOS and delete the exes, your fine.

Until some moron opens another infected email despite having an email scanner.

Still, I think its finaly dead.

To re-iterate what Ive told a dozen people today:

Get the latest definitions, run scans, do not open unexpected attachments. How hard can it be?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:25 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Ack! That sucks Andrewas. Well I hope they get the big picture and enable their scans again after all this work you had to do to clean the virus up, lesson learned. If not, next virus that gets into their PCs should be their responsibility to fix, bet that'll work!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-04-2002, 06:29 PM   #14
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Ack! That sucks Andrewas. Well I hope they get the big picture and enable their scans again after all this work you had to do to clean the virus up, lesson learned. If not, next virus that gets into their PCs should be their responsibility to fix, bet that'll work!
these are USERS you're tqalking about [img]tongue.gif[/img] - and Finance ones are the worst [img]tongue.gif[/img] - they care not about changing their own procedures because as far as they're concerned, us techy support types are paid to fix their problems [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 06:54 PM   #15
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
these are USERS you're tqalking about [img]tongue.gif[/img] - and Finance ones are the worst [img]tongue.gif[/img] - they care not about changing their own procedures because as far as they're concerned, us techy support types are paid to fix their problems [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I would just let the next virus sit (odds on its W97/marker.q, judging by what my scanner is catching) but letting viruses sit on computers responsible for processing payroll is unwise to say the least. Especialy when my predecessor has not set up any provision for backup or anything like that.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:46 PM   #16
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Just wondering if the most recent windows update would fix the problem. Oh yeah I have McAfee virus scan, and was wondering if it would pick up the virus if I have it on my PC. They haven't come out with a new update for about 2 weeks to my knowledge so I'm not sure. The reason I'm asking? For some reason whenever I play Theif 2 I experience some kind of error with the program called w2fk (not that I know what it does), and every time I exit the game my PC's monitor is all wacked out. The Res. is maxed out and the colors are set to minimum (256 colors). I fix that easily enough, but I don't know if its a viral thing, or just some kind of bug due to incompatability. any advice would be great. I'd prefer if you PM the info to me.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 10-04-2002, 10:57 PM   #17
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Just wondering if the most recent windows update would fix the problem. Oh yeah I have McAfee virus scan, and was wondering if it would pick up the virus if I have it on my PC. They haven't come out with a new update for about 2 weeks to my knowledge so I'm not sure. The reason I'm asking? For some reason whenever I play Theif 2 I experience some kind of error with the program called w2fk (not that I know what it does), and every time I exit the game my PC's monitor is all wacked out. The Res. is maxed out and the colors are set to minimum (256 colors). I fix that easily enough, but I don't know if its a viral thing, or just some kind of bug due to incompatability. any advice would be great. I'd prefer if you PM the info to me.
Download and run the bugbear removal tool, that`ll get rid of it if it`s on your system [img]smile.gif[/img]