Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

As an offshoot of Sir Goulum's recent bracers/retainer subject, I thought to make a thread re experiences with dentists.

I myself don't mind too much going to them as long as they give me enough novacain. That seems to be the biggest problem lately for me re dentists, they either don't give me enough, or don't wait enough for it to set in before they start working. Nothing worse than feeling a drill on a nerve *shudder* I never though have had gas or been knocked out at the dentist. I'd rather be awake and aware, and when novacain is given and used correctly, it works just fine, you don't feel a dang thing. I often wonder what it is like to do the gas or get knocked out, anyone done it before and what was it like? I hear a lot of differing things re the gas. Not that I'm ever gonna chose those options, just curious what it was like for others. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I've never had any bad experiences with Dentists actually

I've never had a filling or any major work done so I just pop in for 10 minutes then go. Although the waiting is annoying. The receptionist at my local dentist is HOT so I actually quite enjoy visiting their
Old 07-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

I'm anti-dentite.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL why anti-dentite Dalamar? Don't like or don't need?

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalamar Stormcrow:
I'm anti-dentite.
Me, too. I even think they should have their own schools.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
Arvon
Unicorn

The dentist usually isn't too bad. It's the 45minutes with the hygienists that's a bother. The worst part is when they use that pointy probe to check the depth of the teeth pockets around the gums.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Sounds familiar [img]tongue.gif[/img]

With my experience at the dentist, I'll probably never go back, not after having the back ends of two teeth chipped off during cleaning.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I had gas when I had a wisdom tooth taken out. They put a mask over my nose & mouth & asked me to slowly count backward from 100. I think I got to 89... When I woke up they had to help me to the car (no, I didn't drive home!) and I remember after they asked me if I was ok, saying something like "Wow, this stuff is great! You guys oughtta sell this..." and everybody laughed. Then they helped me into the car & I passed out again for the ride home. It was a great high...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL@ the anti-dentite comment...methinks too many of us watch Seinfeld! HAHA!

I don't mind the dentist either, LadyZ. I usually have to have more than one shot too, but as long as I can't feel the work being done, it doesn't bother me much.

I had the gas when having 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed and it's kind of weird...you feel disconnected from things and it just doesn't bother you that there's all this stuff being done to your teeth! I did feel very cold, though!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My sentiments remain the same from Lady Z's other thread...

Quote:
Two experiences, one nasty and the other funny.

In the nasty one, my mom's dentist when I was growing up was the reason I didn't go to a dentist for over ten years. He was working on me for something or another (filling, probably), and I was crying because it hurt. He stepped back and literally said, "What are you crying for? That doesn't hurt!" Made me feel like an idiot and a baby (at age eleven or twelve, IIRC). When I finally got back to seeing a dentist, I explained my situation and fears of pain in my mouth, and my dentist has worked wonders with me since then. In fact, got a checkup in a couple of weeks...

The funny one is that I had all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time. The guy who removed them? Doctor Fear.... [Big Grin] Offered me the chance of local or general anasthetic. I told him to knock me out, and I went from "ten... nine... eight... " to "what's this cotton you're pulling out of my mouth?" Best decision I ever made regarding dentistry.
and

Quote:

I've got three crowns, and the first one set the stage for the rest.

Dentist gave me a shot of something, let it take effect, then started working. A minute or two later, he was surprised when I felt something. Pulled out, gave me another shot, wait, repeat. Third shot was of a different kind of anasthesia, as was the fourth. By the time we got to the sixth (no kidding!), I told him to just go ahead and do it, and I'd just grit my way through it.

The procedure since then is simple: I arrive 30 minutes early and get two shots, one each of two different kinds of anasthesia. Wait thirty minutes, and then he goes to work. Haven't felt anything since... gotta love a dentist who pays attention to you. [Big Grin]

That same multi-shot approach has worked wonders with both root canals I've had. After the last one in May, I didn't need any additional painkillers because the bad tooth being dead was so much of a relief...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote