Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
Keraptisdm
Elminster

In the interest of learning more from the other illustrious gamers on this forum, I have the following question(s):

Which party formation do you find yourself using the most? Why?

I use the two column, three row one the most. This one:

x x
x x
x x

It seems easy to move the party around with this formation, I put the tanks first, followed by archer and healer types, followed by spell casters. But when I get hit from the backside, the Benny Hill music starts playing because my mage(s) start running.

[ 09-30-2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Keraptisdm ]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:25 AM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Shame on you Keraptisdm. You're not living up to the "dm" element of your name. You of all people should know that party order follows the same format all the time. Your mages and thieves always go in the middle as they have the least HP.

BTW that's the formation I use. 'Cept recently. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

[ 09-30-2002, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 09-30-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
Shame on you Keraptisdm. You're not living up to the "dm" element of your name. You of all people should know that party order follows the same format all the time. Your mages and thieves always go in the middle as they have the least HP.

BTW that's the formation I use. 'Cept recently. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]
That's true, but I found fewer "back attacks" in BG than in the games where I was the DM. cough. ahem. I started out with my mages well protected, but with so few attacks from the rear, I swapped them with the archer types. Now in BG2, I keep them in the middle of the formation.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Few back attacks as the DM eh? Just what does that say about us old refs then?

I'm sure we've all learned to our cost that the IE's search nodes can leave vulnerable characters stumbling about in the dark, far away from the safety of 200+ lbs of armour-clad Minsc when the you-know-what hits the old proverbial. Thus, mages go in the middle for me.

You're right about the archers though; it can often seem impossibly long before they carry out their orders and begin to engage that "all-powerful" mage from a distance in BG. Rather annoying that.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:09 PM   #5
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I always go with the six-pack myself. Tanks up front, spellcasters in the middle and thieves and archers in the rear. Sometimes, if I have to bring my whole party through a tight dungeon, I'll use the staggered six-pack -
I find that the idiots in my party don't go wandering off as much and it is a real tight formation.

[ 09-30-2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Telchar of Nogrod ]
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:19 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I like the pentagon formation myself--My best Tank on point, 2 backup Tanks in the other 2 forward positions, my weakest guy in the middle, and archers in back.

I also saw a screenshot a while ago--this person was using the V formation, with 2 Tanks in front (the corner of the V), archers and priests on the left wing, and Mages on the right wing. Of course, you're doomed if anyone attacks you from the right flank, but if you clear maps the way I do (Working your way around the outside edge, then spiraling in towards the center), all your attacks will come from the front, or from your protected flank. Not bad.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
ryaldin
Elminster

I find that using the staggered six pack, keeps my party tight, which can be particularly useful in tight spaces, as well as keeping my mages and helaers close where i can protect them

X..
..X
X..
..X
X..
..X

[ 09-30-2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: ryaldin ]
Old 09-30-2002, 11:36 PM   #8
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

X X X
...X
...X
...X
Love this, cuz my party philosophy's heavy on tanks. Just have mages/thieves sit in the back and make enemies rot [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-30-2002, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 10-01-2002, 08:14 AM   #9
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

I always go for the pyramid, with me up front(Cleric blocker), Tanks next to flank an enemy, and ranged attackers (thieves and mages) behind them.

[ 10-01-2002, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Grimslade ]
Grimslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:17 AM   #10
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

I am always a fan for a six pack with tanks then healer/archers and then mages but when I rest I use the hexagon with my weakest HP character in the middle...Usually Xzar.