Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Mostly for NobleNick, but for all to read:

I just bought the Bardic Horn of Valhalla for my lovely half-elf Bard, Belcanta (Italian for "beautiful voice" FYI). Okay, it is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm now firmly in the "You must take a Bard because they kick major enemy butt" camp.

SPOILER

The berserker's little phrases like "For Tempos!" and "I will join my kin in glorious death!" are classic! The boyfriend and I were laughing hysterically last night when I used the horn for the first time in the Temple of the Forgotten God. Thanks, Nick, for convincing me to take a Bard!
Old 10-11-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Bards rock, simple as that.

*Hint* Try casting Haste on them.

Just don't forget that they don't have magical swords, so they'll be nothing more than diversions against anyone who requires magical weapons to hit.

[ 10-11-2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Ah, the Horn of Beserker Death.

As Stratos said, cast Haste on them - they also benefit from other party-affecting spells and effects, such as Protection from Evil 10', Defensive Harmony, Bless, Prayer, Recitation, and the various bardic songs.

Fodder that isn't fodder. Go nuts.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Virginia:
Mostly for NobleNick, but for all to read:

I just bought the Bardic Horn of Valhalla for my lovely half-elf Bard, Belcanta (Italian for "beautiful voice" FYI). Okay, it is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm now firmly in the "You must take a Bard because they kick major enemy butt" camp.

The berserker's little phrases ... are classic! The boyfriend and I were laughing hysterically last night when I used the horn for the first time in the Temple of the Forgotten God. Thanks, Nick, for convincing me to take a Bard!
Cary,

Ha, ha, ha, another satisfied customer! Thank you, and you are very welcome! Excuse me now, whilst I pick up all these buttons that popped off my shirt.

"Beautiful voice." Very appropriate for a Bard. Are your other character names as well researched?

Being the power gamer I am, I forgot about the comedy aspect. Yes, those corny Berserkers are FUN to have around, even when you are just sitting around and thinking.

Yet another unsolicited tip: Once summoned, these guys are yours until they die in battle -OR- leave your sight. To extend their usefulness past the fight for which you summoned them, leave one party member with them while the rest forage ahead. When the lead party encounters enemies run them back to the Berserkers, leading the monsters right into the waiting swords of your summons.

~

(Slight SPOILER in next paragraph)

~
~
~
~

Woah, girl! You got the Horn before DE? Excellent! You really did pinch pennies; and you should LOVE what it can do for you in DE. My use of it on DE1 provided the most memorable experience of my IWD career. (Yes even more memorable than the final fight of IWD!) I pulled a full pack of Berserkers immediately after entering the cave. By baiting the enemy within sight of the Berserkers, and then supporting the Berserkers; the Berserkers and the rest of the party were able to clear almost the entire floor of DE1, in one long fight, before the last Berserker went down. I have never, before nor after, seen anywhere near so many critical hits nor so many flying monster chunks in such a short space of time. -*!*-AWESOME spell-*!*-!

~

END SPOILER

~

Oh, and you haven't seen anything near the best of kick-assassin action, yet. Did you know that War Chant works on your party -AND- Berserkers, too? Wait till your Bard hits clvl 11: Your party is really going to rock! And when your DC characters regain Fighter skills, your party is really, **REALLY** going to rock...

Now, let's see...

Has HoW installed... CHECK.
Has TotLM installed... CHECK.
Has lots of Warriors for Bard to supercharge with War Chant... CHECK.
Has Bard... CHECK.
Has Bardic Horn of Valhalla... CHECK.
Understands power of Dual Classing... CHECK.
Uses power of Dual Classing... CHECK.

O.K., I think my work here is done.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Yes. I'm a big dork and actually researched my names. It's more fun that way, in any case.

Paladin = Andraste (Celtic goddess of just war)
Bard = Belcanta (Italian for beautiful voice)
Fighter/Druid = Ciarda (Gaelic for dark. Name associated with a mythical druidic priestess in Celtic mythology)
Fighter/Illusionist = Rast'el (Feminization of my favorite DragonLance character, Raistlin)
Fighter/Thief = Verraten (German for blade or knife)
Fighter/Cleric = Braeden (My favorite name ever. Plan on naming my first child since it is a unisex name)

Thanks for the tips on the berserkers. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I think I'll be hitting level 11 before I know it. So I'll look forward to my enhanced bard skills. All of my characters are already on level 5 and I haven't even gotten the heartstone yet. How the heck did that happen??? I need to figure out my DC strategy pretty soon. Probably will dual over my thief and mage at 9. Then the cleric at 11. Finally the druid at 13. Must go back and look over all of the great information everyone bestowed in their previous posts and map out a plan.

Cary
Old 10-11-2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Researching names isn't dorky. It's called roleplaying, which is supposed to be the point of all this. But if you define roleplaying as dorky... then you got me. Us.

Like the names, btw - especially Verraten. It sounds like a F/T's name.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
J'aran
Mephistopheles

If what I remember from my highschool German is correct, then verraten means betrayed or double-crossed, not knife. I can't tell you the exact translation for knife however, maybe some German IWer can help here.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

You are right! I forgot that I didn't like any of the words for blade or knife and went for something else. It is still appropriate for a fighter/thief at any rate. I'm pretty sure I went for "betray". Thanks for the correction!

*blushes in embarrassment"

Cary
Old 10-13-2004, 07:07 AM   #9
Calagari
Manshoon

Cary my party is level 5ish at the 2nd level of Dragon Eye. I think it is a normal level of progression for this game at this point.

All of my characters are already on level 5 and I haven't even gotten the heartstone yet. How the heck did that happen??? I need to figure out my DC strategy pretty soon. Probably will dual over my thief and mage at 9. Then the cleric at 11. Finally the druid at 13. Must go back and look over all of the great information everyone bestowed in their previous posts and map out a plan.
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:12 AM   #10
Calagari
Manshoon

Messer is the German word for knife if I am correct. Not much of a name for a Fighter. Still it makes me think of the Messerschmitt fighter plane of theirs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Virginia:
You are right! I forgot that I didn't like any of the words for blade or knife and went for something else. It is still appropriate for a fighter/thief at any rate. I'm pretty sure I went for "betray". Thanks for the correction!

*blushes in embarrassment"

Cary
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote