Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, to make a long story short, we got a virus from the DSL and I was unable to remove it or them. I now have a firewall and up-to-date antivirus software, installed by the techie that removed the viruses. He reinstalled Windows, and everything seemed fine, but I found myself unable to play NWN. I checked, and all that I had for a video card was the crap default thing that H-P includes. I called the guy to ask why my Nvidia GeForce4 wans't working, and he said that he had removed it, because there was no driver included in the stuff we gave him along with the tower. I went by the shop, and he gave me the card, which is awaiting Piestrider to come and instll it. Do you think this was deliberate? I am still upset about it.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

It could have been, he should have given you the card seperately after he'd gotten the comp up to date. check your hardware and make sure everything else that should be there is. Or it could be a simple case that he just forgot (although even without the drivers your display should have at least worked in 16bit mode...

I would be suspicious, and check out the local BBB if he runs a business if he's had complaints similar to yours then be glad you got your stuff back...
Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Definantly, it takes a couple of minutes to get Nvidia's official Geforce drivers (forceware) from the net, he had absolutly no reason to take tht card.
I dont believe that this is a normal thing to do, that was stealing and he probably thought he could get away with it....
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

What kind of a techie is that?

Like Hive said, it takes ten minutes to get the drivers for the card and so what if he didn't have the drivers... what business had he taking the card out?!

I would definetly report him to some sort of authority...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I agree, Attalus, this guy was trying to rip you off and probably thought you didn't know enough about your computer to notice.

As everyone here knows, I've had TONS of trouble with my main PC since last summer and I've sent it to two seperate PC shops several times to be fixed. There is NO REASON TO REMOVE A HARDWARE COMPONENT just to get rid of a virus. I've learned the simplest fix is to tell the tech's to just wipe your PC clean and re-install the OS. You can also ask them to save and re-load any specific files you don't want to lose (like My Documents).

One store DID keep telling me my video card was crap and tried to SELL me a new one, but I declined each time. It was one of the few components I didn't replace on this PC - and I've never had any problem with.

Not having the drivers is ridiculous excuse, since most drivers ARE available from the internet.

This guy was trying to scam you.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Why do you pay someone to format your computer?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Because the vast majority of computer users aren't either confident enough to do it or aware of how to do it?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Isn't that's what everybody is doing? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Isn't that's what everybody is doing? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I do it myself... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote