Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2001, 10:02 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Powergamer - one who derives game enjoyment by maximizing power in the game. Seeks to have the highest possible stats, best equipment, most hardcore buffs. Seeks to be invulnerable, untouchable, a god. Can wipe the floor with Firkraag and Kangaxx. Mindflayers and beholders are only temporal obstacles as he hacks/slashes/casts spells/bludgeons his way through the game.

Roleplayer - one who thinks that the fun of the game is in roleplaying a favored character from PnP D&D. Will equip his character based on how he feels his character "should" look like. This may be an elven ranger who refuses to use Crom Faeyr or wear anything other than studded leather, because that's how he wishes to roleplay his character, even though this means that it may take him 30 reloads to kill Firkraag. Illithids and eye tyrants may evoke real fear in these characters as they refuse to use "cheezy" solutions and game-unbalancing items like Cloak of Cheating.

Keep in mind that the above are two styles of play and one is NOT better than the other. It's your game, enjoy it how you will.

I'm curious as to which one are you though? Ubergod or cheap hero?

------------------
Old 06-04-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
SherpaDoug
Dungeon Master

I am a Roleplayer, my wife is much more a Powergamer. This leads to difficulties when we both try to run a group...

I have an image of the character in my mind and try to make the game character behave as my imagined character would.

My wife wants the best goodies and $$$ and hates to lose Rep even when playing an evil character.

------------------
Evil around every corner. Be careful not to step in it!

Sherpa Doug
Old 06-04-2001, 10:36 AM   #3
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I'm a combination of both. I choose my party members and equipment based on how I think my character would behave and play their personality. I have a good aligned character so I never steal. I also don't use any cheesy tactics to win like cloud kill at creatures that can't see you. But I also try to get all the best items and make as powerful a character as I can. But then I tend to let them do most of the work and see whether they can kill the powerful creatures.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:57 AM   #4
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

You try powergamming with a fallen paladin (ie, no special abilites and NO HOLY AVENGER! )

------------------
Old 06-04-2001, 11:06 AM   #5
Bleys
Dungeon Master

I am a roleplayer, but there is a little powergamer always sneaking out. I will roleplay a character but I will Max out were posible (Then again I will do that in PnP games). I will play as he would act and not always choose the best options. I will try to win battles without cheating, but if I can't I will use cheese tatics to win a battle.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:07 AM   #6
Rikard

Role Playin

------------------

Member of the Ancients Club (@ age 16 )
High Magician of the Order of the Holy Flame

"Dream a Dreamers Dream And Know It Is But A Dream"

Old 06-04-2001, 11:32 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleys:
I am a roleplayer, but there is a little powergamer always sneaking out. I will roleplay a character but I will Max out were possible. I will play as he would act and not always choose the best options. I will try to win battles without cheating, but if I can't I will use cheese tatics to win a battle.

That is exactly how I play it.
I think I would be more of a roleplayer in PnP AD&D and more of a powergamer in CRPGs.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-04-2001, 11:49 AM   #8
The Xlord
Dungeon Master

I am a roleplayer, but of course I want my character on the highest level as I get, and who want his/her character(s) to be on lvl 2 in chapter 6???

------------------
The Xlord
Defender and master of Good archmagic
Homepage: http://www.nwh.itgo.com

[This message has been edited by The Xlord (edited 06-04-2001).]
Old 06-04-2001, 12:13 PM   #9
Legolas the Elven Archer

I'm definately a roleplayer. Not just because I think about what my character should look like, but also because I'd feel bad if I would have finished the game using cheats (especially the first time). In my experience maximizing you stats and such things almost always upsets the game balance, which I think is a pity. If people want to powergame then that's fine, but I'm a roleplayer

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-04-2001, 12:25 PM   #10
Shadowblade
The Magister

I'm probebly half and half. I don't beef up my stats with cheats, but I have a tendancy to give all the best stuff to my main character. But then again, who dosen't!

E.G If your a paladin you don't give Keldorn the holy avenger! (Which in my opinion is too easy to get)
I'm really looking forward to testing my mettle on the improved A.I

Cheating's boring and ruins the game, You should only use it for a laugh. The whole point of the game is that it should be challenging!

Oh yeah Memnoch! I don't consider the cloak of mirroring cheating, Its placed in the game as an item. Why should it be classed as 'cheating'?

[This message has been edited by Shadowblade (edited 06-04-2001).]