Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2001, 08:18 AM   #11
Laurentius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

it would have been better, if in BG1 several FedEx's would have been bundled together to real side-quests (like the expansions q.) take place in several areas...

but as Sigmar mentioned, the adventuring feeling was better, CAUSE of the many areas, even the big town was better designed (wished that at least Atkatla had more maps), the two fillers (appearing after underdark) in BGII are very unmotivated

still BGII got better graphics (sahuagin + drow design !!!), i like the art of BGI a little more

and at last: the battles were more strategic (mages used sometimes all spells, you worried about melees in the beginnig etc.)

PS: didnt want to rant, just dreaming
Old 06-04-2001, 09:08 AM   #12
Legolas the Elven Archer

In BG1 I really had the idea I was exploring, while in BG2 all I did was chase after some madman. I kinda missed the maps inbetween the towns, and the higher amount of ambushes. In BG1 there was so much to do that I didn't want to continue the storyline yet but preferred to explore. In BG2 people constantly reminded me of the fact that time was running out (which of course it wasn't) and that I wouldn't have time to explore. BG2 is better in some ways, but for adventuring play BG1. (I've played both several times now, and I still can't decide which one's better.)

BTW Sigmar, do you play Empire?

Old 06-04-2001, 09:40 AM   #13
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Think of it this way, in BG1, you were a bunch of little fighters/thieves, mages, etc and were easy pickings for all the bad guys out there. As a 12-15 level party, do you really think it would have been fair for you to still be having to fight a pack of real scary KObalts? No. It would be BORING. And the Ankegs were a ton harder, but you are soo much a higher level. The different between 5th and 15 level in real pnp is like boy and man. So all the little bad guys out there would just let your party pass because they know of how many you have killed in your day. You rep proceeds you. And since you have already done those first couple of levels of exploring the outside, you already have done all the exploring of wilderness that you need to do and have upgraded to specific quests, as exploring the wilderness is not nearly as important as other pressing matters, like saving your sister.

Just MHO, though, and I do like BG, I just like BGII that much more.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner

()xxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
Old 06-04-2001, 11:08 AM   #14
Sigmar
Unicorn

Legolas I actually play as dwarfs but all the good dwarf names
were taken so I settled for closet thing to a dwarf that is not
a dwarf, the legendary friend of the dwarfs Sigmar.

------------------
Sigmar has only one foe,
and he is Tiax!
Old 06-04-2001, 11:26 AM   #15
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I love both games, but there are somethingss I miss about BG1.

- starting at level 1 gave the game a much better feeling of something fresh and new. BG2 isn't as exciting to sit down and start with as BG1, where you had a feeling of starting an adventure rather than continuing one

- Time was not your (supposed) enemy in BG1 and gave the game a more exploring edge

- You didn't get to enter the city till about half way through the game, which made the second half of the game even more interesting. Just as things began to stultify just a bit, it suddenly became completely different and interesting

- I think some of the fights were more varied and you didn't use the same tactics all the time, as per BG2

Saying that BG2 is more involved and the storyline is much better done.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:16 PM   #16
Shadowblade
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:

BTW Sigmar, do you play Empire?
Bet you he does where else do you get a name like that from!

Anyone know where the name Shadowblade comes from then!

------------------
Give me all your sweetcorn. NOW! I'll snatch it from your dead body. Aghhh you severed my head

'The last words of the famous sweetcorn eater, Asmodeus Shadowblade'
Old 06-04-2001, 12:40 PM   #17
Legolas the Elven Archer

All the dwarf names were taken, whilst Sigmar was not? I would never have guessed dwarf names were that popular, considering their nature. Personally, I prefer High Elves and Skaven, which as you will know are old enemies of the dwarfs. Should have given the Elves their crown back. I wonder how many BG2 players play Warhammer too..?

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-04-2001, 12:48 PM   #18
Shadowblade
The Magister

I wonder how many BG2 players play Warhammer too..?

[/B][/QUOTE]

4 and a half. But where does the name Shadowblade come from?
Old 06-04-2001, 05:02 PM   #19
Sigmar
Unicorn

Legolas dont you dare get this dwarf started on the war of vengeance,
besides the crown is rightfully ours, the highking himself took it
from the dead hands of Caledor the second. Elfs, nothing but trouble.
Dont even think of bringing up the dark elves, the war was started
by elves and thats all that matters. Yes, I am a typical dwarf and darn
proud of it. (The funny thing is that i never see the people with the
dwarf names posthere, ever!)

------------------
Sigmar has only one foe,
and he is Tiax!
Old 06-04-2001, 05:19 PM   #20
Jezzrian
Dungeon Master

Does 40K count on the Warhammer side?