Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Guild Wars® Nightfall

In Guild Wars Nightfall, the third campaign in the award-winning Guild Wars universe, you will never face danger alone. Not only can you group with any of millions of players worldwide, but now, for the first time ever, you'll be able to band together with customizable Heroes that will not only fight by your side, but level up with your character and follow your orders as you fight to hold back the night.

New Characters

In addition to Heroes, Nightfall introduces two new professions to Guild Wars—the Dervish and the Paragon.

Dervishes serve the gods as holy warriors, using their deadly scythes to carve a wide swath through enemy lines. True masters of the profession can even assume the forms of the gods, taking on divine aspects to mete out justice.

Paragons are humanity's champions, the guardian angels of Elona. They rally their followers with Shouts and Chants while striking from afar with their mighty spears.

New Skills

Nightfall brings 350 new player skills to the game, including brand new skills for the six core professions (Warrior, Monk, Ranger, Elementalist, Mesmer, and Necromancer) and the Guild Wars FactionsTM professions (Assassin and Ritualist). Additionally, Nightfall debuts the brand new Skill and Attributes panel, which will be your one-stop menu for customizing your character and Heroes for the battlefield. A new template system will allow you to save your own custom builds for every contingency.

New PvP and Guild Opportunities

Nightfall provides two brand new arenas for your PvP battles—the Sunspear Arena and the Churranu Island Arena. What's more, you'll be able to take your customized Heroes into PvP battle! These Hero vs. Hero battles will let you pit your character and up to three Heroes in a one-on-one PvP competition against other players.

For guilds, in addition to the new PvP opportunities, Nightfall provides new surroundings to explore and offers the strategic opportunities afforded by four new guild halls.

Heroes

NightfallTM brings more than a dozen Heroes to your aid as you battle against the forces of darkness. Each of these Heroes will gain experience at your side. You can even equip them with new weapons, upgrade their armor, and choose their skills for them. Best of all, you will be able to direct your Heroes in battle, telling them when, where, and whether to fight at all. You'll even be able to activate their skills for them. The amount of control is up to you. Use them like enhanced henchmen or direct them much like extra, full-fledged characters. The choice is yours.

Hero NPC KOSS
A cheerful, boisterous fellow Sunspear, Koss has almost as much faith in you as he does in himself. As a Sunspear, you need never fight alone...

Hero NPC MAGRID THE SLY
A mercenary corsair, Margrid sees you first as potential targets and only later as allies.

Hero NPC MORGAHN
A former general in the service of the Kourna, Morgahn is betrayed by his allies and seeks vindication with your aid.

Hero NPC TAHLKORA
A headstrong young runaway, Tahlkora joins up with you to become a hero. She has to learn what that truly means.

New Story and a New Land to Explore

Of course, no new Guild Wars campaign would be complete without an engrossing story that spans far-reaching lands. In Nightfall, you'll explore opulent cities, brave savage coasts, delve deep into ancient monuments, and find your way across poisonous deserts as you determine the fate of the new Realm of Elona in twenty original story missions.

Welcome to Elona, Land of the Golden Sun

The realm of Elona has known peace and prosperity for centuries. Its three provinces—Istan, Kourna, and Vabbi—have been ruled separately since the great hero Turai Ossa stepped down as sovereign and left on a pilgrimage into the Crystal Desert some two hundreds years ago. The provinces rely on one another for trade and protection. The Istani navy patrols corsair-infested waters, while the Kournan army—led by Warmarshal Varesh Ossa, heir to the great Ossa line—keeps a watchful eye on the plains should the Undead Lord Palawa Joko rise up again, and the Vabbian princes provide wealth and leisure for all to enjoy.

But it is the Order of the Sunspears who truly bind the realm together. This grand alliance of heroes has defended the entire realm since before the terrible years of the Scarab Plague, which nearly wiped out all of Istan and brought an end to the era of the Primeval Kings. Today, the Sunspears are flourishing under the leadership of Spearmarshal Kormir. Their ranks swell and their power grows as new recruits join the Order on a daily basis.

But will it be enough?

Malignant forces are already at work, communing with a fallen, dark god. Are Kormir and her Sunspears up to the challenge of defeating this ancient evil should it rise up and bring about eternal night? Only you and your Heroes can answer that question as the Land of the Golden Sun faces its greatest challenge.

Product Information

Guild Wars Nightfall will be available in both Standard and Collector's editions.

Standard Edition

The Nightfall Standard Edition box will contain the following:

Nightfall Access Key, which provides access to the Nightfall campaign
Nightfall Game on three CDs
Nightfall Manual, with information on the world of Elona and explanations of new game features and mechanics.
Nightfall Quick-Reference Card, with a handy keyboard layout and much more
Nightfall Poster
Nightfall Buddy Key, a 14-day/10-hour free trial you can give to a friend
Guild Wars Epic Trial Key, a 14-day/10-hour free trial of Guild Wars PropheciesTM and Guild Wars FactionsTM
NCsoft Trial Key Booklet, with trial keys for other great NCsoft games

Collector's Edition

The Nightfall Collector's Edition box will contain the following:

Nightfall Collector's Edition Key, providing access to the Nightfall campaign, a miniature in-game Varesh pet, and Nightfall signature dances for your characters
Nightfall Bonus Music Key, providing exclusive in-game music from Guild Wars composer Jeremy Soule
Nightfall Game on DVD
"Making of Guild Wars Nightfall" DVD, with behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with the designers, writers, illustrators, and animators
"The Art of Nightfall" Art Book, a 124-page book depicting amazing images from the world of Elona
Nightfall Soundtrack CD with 35 tracks of music from the game
Nightfall Collector's Skill Pins, a pair of metallic pins showing icons for one Dervish and one Paragon skill
Nightfall Collector's Standee, a foldout standee of Warmarshal Varesh to place on your desk
Nightfall Map Poster, a 16x24-inch map depicting the lands of Elona
Nightfall Collector's Edition Poster
Nightfall Manual, with information on the world of Elona and explanations of new game features and mechanics.
Nightfall Quick-Reference Card, with a handy keyboard layout and much more
Nightfall Buddy Key, a 14-day/10-hour free trial you can give to a friend
Guild Wars Epic Trial Key, a 14-day/10-hour free trial of Guild Wars Prophecies and Guild Wars Factions
NCsoft Trial Key Booklet, with trial keys for other great NCsoft games

New Nightfall Dances!

Prerelease Bonus Pack

In addition, as of September 15, players can purchase the Guild Wars Nightfall Prerelease Bonus Pack, which includes the following items:

Guild Wars Nightfall Bonus Key, providing one additional character slot for a Guild Wars Nightfall account plus two unique in-game items—the Fiery Sunspear of Shelter for the Paragon and the Icy Soulbreaker of Enchanting for the Dervish
Guild Wars "Play Now" key for a 10-hour/14-day trial of Guild Wars Prophecies and Guild Wars Factions
A mini strategy guide, describing the history of Elona and detailing the attributes of the Dervish and the Paragon
Concept art, screenshots, in-game renders of characters and items, preview trailer, wallpapers, quick reference card, music, and more
Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Some New Skills

Dervish

Grenth's Grasp is a Dervish Elite that makes all of your attack skills cripple the target…as long as you're wielding a cold weapon.

Grenth's Fingers takes care of this requirement by converting your damage type to cold and providing a point-blank damage spell.

Reap Impurities allows you to stay healthy while inflicting damage upon foes under the effects of conditions.

Warrior

Without a solid counter to touch-type skills, we decided to add a new Paragon shout called "Can't Touch This," which causes touch skills used on friends within earshot to completely fail. This will allow players to counter skills like Blackout, Shock, or Vampiric Touch more effectively.

Mesmer

Many of the "steal spell" style skills, like Arcane Thievery or the Inspire/Reveals, felt like they couldn't be fully utilized in their current form. We decided to give the Mesmer Signet of Illusions, which will make the next spell you cast use your Illusion attribute instead of its normal attribute.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm happy that there will be a counter to touch based skills, but I'm annoyed that they included blackout in it, I love that spell. The Signet of Illusions sound interesting, usually when I steal a skill it's just to deny it from the other guy, but I guess if I steal his life transfer or healing breeze I might want to use it.

I'm curious about those heroes, it seem interesting, but they said you can equip them, what happen if you've got 2-3 human players, is there multiple versions of all heroes?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

God I want a skill "Stop!" for my warrior. Then he could be a Hammer War with "Stop!", "Can't Touch This!".
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

How good is Anets sence of humor? First Its only a Flash wound, now You can't touch this. This skill alone can destroy a touch based build.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Lavindathar
Harper

Does seem a bit OTT. If so, it will be nerfed, don't worry!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

For every counter spell there is a counter spell and to worry about can't touch this is a waist of time. Sure it may cancle your touch for the moment but it's a defensive skill that's needed. It won't distroy the Touch skills, It may slow the Touch skills down so they can't bring another character to his knees with no counter.
I have a touch ranger/necro and I have found it a little too powerful at times. With 4 Touch skills stacked I can lay waist to a warrior in seconds removing 80% of his health then having your Teams warrior finish him off with one more hit. It just tends to piss off the apposing warrior. I know this because I've got a high level warrior also and I have been on the other end of the touch. Right now I have plans for a Warrior/Paragon just to hold off the touch skills and can't wait to use "Cant Touch This" and leave the Toucher wondering what and how did this warrior stop him and then take him out too.

[ 09-20-2006, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Bah, it's like any other skill. Once someone tries it, sees how well it works and posts it on guild wiki, then everyone will jump on the bandwagon. Next thing you know, Anet realizes what a circus the use of that skill has become in general and will 'downgrade' it.

I just now started experimenting with various builds and Lili (she's 11 months old after several restarts/rebuilds). Never have tried the 'touch ranger', though -- seems rather silly for a ranged character's attack to be 'touch', doesn't it?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well if it's like the other chants the Paragon has it's going to last quite a while and might keep echoing permanently on the party under some conditions. I doubt it will last that long since it completly negate touch attacks, but it's still going to be a pain.

The thing is, there won't be paragons in every pvp groups, and not all paragons will be speced for that. Do you really want to take that skill just in case you encounter a touch ranger? But just the chance that a Paragon may now be there to make them useless, I'm suspecting we'll see a lot less touch rangers.

[ 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah But I also expect to see a number of counters to those shout skills.

Maybe a new condition called Deaf?