Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2001, 12:14 AM   #11
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hey, guys.

Zoratorak.

What a helpful bloke you are, thanks.

The problem I had wasn't being in the game or anything, I could see everyone and interact. The problems started when there was a lot of info' on screen.... ie a battle with a few creatures and a couple of spells flying. My screen would "stop" (whether Turbovee and Cloudbringer were experiencing this I know not) and then when the info' level reduced I would suddenly come back to life. After the pc thought about things for a second or two it booted me into touch. My brother and I are in the same building and he allows me to share his 512K cable internet connection (via a bit of hush hush jiggery pokery) . The connection speed is not a problem at my end I'm sure. Although I haven't yet tried, my bro' is of the opinion that although I can connect out, people may have trouble connecting to me as he has put various firewalls in place to protect his own very large website and personal effects...understandably so. I may attempt a game with people connected to my end to see if it works ...if Turbo' and CB are willing. He (my bro') often plays flight sims on line with loads of other people (primarily American) and with untold info' on screen with no problems at all. It may just be the connection from mine to Turbovee's end that is the problem. What do you think Zor'?

Disabling 3D is a good idea and one I wouldn't have the foggiest how to do, the same as changing cache sizes. Anyone willing to give me the low down on this? It would be appreciated, yes I could ask bro' but it's unfair forever pestering him with my pc ineptitude problems....time I learnt a little for myself methinks.

Turbovee, Cloudbringer, if you're still up for it then perhaps we could try making the changes that Zoratorak has so kindly put forward and having another crack....possibly even connecting to this end. If this runs ok then we can look at other possibilities, if not...well we've lost an hour or so...big deal.

Come back to me on this guys and look after my boy for me........I miss my boy.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:26 AM   #12
turbovee
Elminster

Hell lich, Charlie and Gabriel. I really want to play with guys, but the Overseas connection is really bad. I live in San Diego and Charlie and I tried a multi game and he kept getting booted. I hate say this, but I recommend that you three guys there in England should set up a multi game so your connection will be stable.

Sorry guys, I want to play, but charlie sold me this shite connection. I would like to try m.player if any of you guys is still interested. maybe they can hold a game with a better connection.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:26 AM   #13
Charlie
Lord Ao

"Hell Lich" Wah.

I would love for you to take part mate but as it stands connection prob's etc render this impossible in the game Turbovee, Cloudbringer and myself started. I tried to get in here to talk to you last night but couldn't. I was going to suggest an English game to you but I don't think an international game is an impossibility and haven't ruled it out completely. I'd like you, if poss' to be part of that. As it stands we need to get the MP prob's ironed out and familiarise ourselves with the why's and wherefores of what is going on. If an International game is an impossibility for the likes of yourself and I then we'll start our own English/British game and go plundering and pillaging with as many plunderers and pillagers as want to join.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:34 AM   #14
Aragorn II

Hey turbovee, if things dont pan out on mplayer we should get a north american game up. im east coast so there'll be about a 3 hour difference i suppose. throw up a new NA Mplayer post if you want to try and get a team assembled. -Strider

Old 02-05-2001, 12:38 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

turbovee,

If they can get to Mplayer and it works, I'm willing to try it. I feel bad that Charlie started the whole thread and we couldn't work it out. I'm willing to give the ip another try next week- so's Charlie. email us?

Or we can try M-player. I'm sure I can figure it out sometime in the next century, anyway!
Old 02-05-2001, 12:39 AM   #16
turbovee
Elminster

Hey I'm down with that. I've got cloudbringer in right now and I was looking for one more. I don't want to get more than three, because the NPC quest are too hard to do with more than three PCs. Plus trust me it bogs down the game with eveyone trying to type in dialogue and deciding what to do.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:42 AM   #17
turbovee
Elminster

Cloudbringer: did you get my e-mail? I would like to try the ip thing to see how your video worked out with those changes. I want to get with you tomorrow answer me back on my e-mail.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:45 AM   #18
turbovee
Elminster

Hey charlie just woke up. Do you want to try the ip thing again? or do you want to do m.player?
Old 02-05-2001, 12:50 AM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

turbovee, just emailed you. For some reason my filter isn't catching your mail and I have been having to sift through one of lists (the largest one, unfortunately!) where anything not filter ends up

I'll work on the filter tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:53 AM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Charlie, I'm still game to try either ip or mplayer (shudder)...whatever you like.

I've disabled 3D. But I should point out that I had trouble with single games slowing up on me (mouse and cursor had definite time lag in communication) at those crucial times that Charlie mentioned (lots of info/action) before I enabled the 3D to start with. I thought it was just a memory prob (I have 128mb ram, 21g hd). Then I found that periodically quitting and re-starting cleared up memory (Moiraine suggested it, I think) and I wasn't having the problem any more.

Oh and yes, Charlie, I did experience the slow downs. Sometimes I couldn't get the darned cursor into the dialog box to type- so you got the 'silent treatment' while I fumed at my monitor and mouse

I wonder if it might also have had something to do with all our pause settings. Should they be the same? Should we minimize the pauses? Zoratorak, any input on this is very welcome!

Cache speed, I might have thought of that...someday! Can we change that in config? I'll look- what should it be set at?

I also have real trouble when I minimize the game in anyway. When I try to maximize again, "Pixel format failure" warning comes up with a lovely black screen and I can HEAR things fine, can't SEE anything.