Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2001, 10:36 AM   #1
Lucre
Elminster

I am a newbie to Icewind Dale and wanted to know what is the best combination of classes to have!

Thanks for any replies!
Lucre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Worm
The Magister

Well, first don't try the game on insane with a party of 5 ... it is VERY hard. I suggest you put together the regular cliche party a priest, warrior, theif, and mage. Now you have those last two slots usually I'll throw a druid or a fighter in those two slots. Halflings and Elves make great warrior due to the speciality in ranged weapons. Though dwarves have the advantage of having a melee weapon and a close weapon under one skill. As for a druid or a mage I suggest elves the 19 dexerity is great so they start off with good AC. Now gnome enchanters rock because they get the extra slots get great intelligence;BUT, They have the disadvantage of not being able to use necromancry. Yet the ones in heart of winter cannot use necromancry and abjuration ... that really blows it alone makes gnomish mages not worth it.
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:13 PM   #3
Irongrinder

a ranger and paladin as a good tankteam,
a cleric for the spells and turning undead
a thief to open doors and traps.
a druid for great summon abilities
a mage for the spells.

In my opinion this is the best to start with.
Irongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:41 PM   #4
Worm
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Irongrinder:
a ranger and paladin as a good tankteam,
a cleric for the spells and turning undead
a thief to open doors and traps.
a druid for great summon abilities
a mage for the spells.

In my opinion this is the best to start with.

The ranger and palidan have the downside of crappy weapon skills have at least one dwarven warrior.
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:43 AM   #5
Lucre
Elminster

OK, but i want an evil party: no rangers or paladins, what would i do then? Heheh [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Lucre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:48 AM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It IS possible to get through the game on insane or even Heart of Fury mode with less than the full party. I've gotten through all of IWD with 2 (!) characters on HOF mode starting from level 1. It isn't easy but it CAN be done.

In general though, try to get a balance of skills in your party. Clerics for healing, Thieves for traps and pickpocketing. Finish off the party with a couple of heavy duty fighters and a mage.

You might consider using multi- or dual class characters to double up on spell abilities. Popular combinations are:

Ranger/Cleric
Fighter/Druid
Fighter/Mage
Fighter/Mage/Thief
Illusionist/Thief
Fighter/Thief

I used this group in HOF mode -

Fighter/Druid
Ranger/Cleric
Fighter/Mage/Thief
Fighter/Mage

all of them were multiclassed.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:43 PM   #7
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
of

In general though, try to get a balance of skills in your party. Clerics for healing, Thieves for traps and pickpocketing. Finish off the party with a couple of heavy duty fighters and a mage.

I'm nearly at the end of my first game with the above mentioned party--two heavy duty fighters (a dwarf and a half-elf), a thief for traps-invaluable!, a cleric (to resurrect the mage's ass) and a mage-- plus a ranger. I've found that having two ranged guys has saved everybody's bacon several times! Both fighters are grand master in swords and I swear some of the baddies look at them and simply lay down and die (I never saw a hit or even a swing!).

Of course, they're all levels 9-11 now, but if you can get through the initial 'next to no hp' stage, it's relatively smooth sailing.

As for the evil bit, I had an evil paladin once--well, a *fallen* one who was quite a bit of fun to play. He was still plagued by brief moments of his inate goodness and of course could not use the usual paladin skills, but he was still great to play! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 08:06 PM   #8
Warboss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Runner-Up for the Most Boring Party in Existence:

4 fighters (each with different weapon proficiencies)
1 fighter/cleric
1 fighter/thief

The Rules: Everybody Fights. No One Quits...Except the Cleric, who needs to live to heal and stuff.