Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 11:10 PM   #1
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey - anyone here tried it yet? I think it's pretty cool so far, it's interesting having played NWN and now IWD as they are both based on 3rd edition D+D rules. IWD I think would appeal to Wizardy players more than NWN as it lets you build/control a party of up to 6 members, where NWN is single player (unless you play online).

My impressions are that NWN has alot more eye candy, but IWD is a much deeper role playing experience - and way way more challenging as well which I am really enjoying (got to a point with W8 and NWN where it was too easy).

I also really like the "pen and paper" feel IWD has so far compared to W8. There are alot less fights with the same enemies who re-spawn over and over in W8; IWD has a decent amount of fighting to be sure, but more combat time is spent in large battles where tactics are critical to success. And there have been so many more NPCs to interact with too, giving the game to me a nicer role playing feel - it's nice to get exp for roleplaying as well as for fighting. Also there are no cheesy training methods, you just go for experience points from fighting/roleplaying and build strength from leveling up.

And the character creation possibilities are better than what NWN offered, the feat list is alot larger and there are sub races included. Also every cleric must pick a deity and gains special domain powers and spells - just an example of how in-depth it can get and how much planning can go into making a party. It's hard to compare to W8 as IWD has D+D rules behind it; I like W8's system alot, but the 3rd edition D+D rules are definitely more robust.

If you loved W8 I think you would enjoy this one - oh, another main difference, IWD has an overhead view, not 1st person like W8. I think the graphics are a little dated but are more than good enough for me in IWD (I'll take the role playing experience and a great game engine over graphics anyday). I would say W8's graphics are better, but I always wished there was some way to toggle between 1st person and overhead in W8 so I couls see my characters.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:57 AM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi Gimli try to post this on this place! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...ubb=forum;f=23
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote