Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

It seems some of our 'guardians' can't tell satire from a hole in the ground...
from(http://www.vnunet.com/News/1135552)

Joke website sparks terror alert
By Nick Farrell [01-10-2002]
US cop believed story about Al-Qaeda telemarketing fraud
Police officers in Battle Creek, Michigan believed that a story posted on a US satirical website about Al-Qaeda using telemarketing fraud was true.
According to the Battle Creek Inquirer, the local sheriff's office sent out a press release saying that it was investigating several complaints of possible telemarketing fraud in the area, especially targeted at the elderly.

The release said: "In the course of this investigation, it was learned that this is going on throughout the United States and some of these telemarketing programmes are believed to be operated by Al-Qaeda.

"The CIA has announced that it has acquired a videotape showing Al-Qaeda members making phone solicitations for vacation home rentals, long distance telephone services, magazine subscriptions and other products."

However, the source of the information was the 18 September edition of well-known satirical website The Onion which carried a report headlined: 'Al-Qaeda Allegedly Engaging in Telemarketing'.

The spoof story reported that "the CIA announced on Monday that it has acquired a videotape showing suspected Al-Qaeda operatives engaging in what appears to be telemarketing".

The Inquirer contacted detective Dan Nichols, author of the release, who admitted that he collected some of the information from The Onion, not knowing that it is a humourous publication.

He explained that he talked with someone at the Michigan Attorney General's office about information on telemarketing scams, and believed that The Onion website was linked to the attorney general's website.

At least one radio station in the area broadcast the information from the news release.

link to original story on the Onion: http://www.theonion.com/onion3834/al...marketing.html

[ 10-07-2002, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 10-07-2002, 01:48 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Teehee, I thought no one would still fall for the Onion's articles nowadays... Guess I was wrong.

[ 10-07-2002, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 10-07-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

And they let these people carry guns?Way to go Barney Fife!!