Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Do you remember? Do you remember your first trek through Faerun? Do you remember the laughable attempts on your life in Candlekeep, and the attempts that were not quite so laughable afterwards? Do you remember having to save every minute, knowing full well that each minute might be the last for your beloved character? I do. I remember when the Realms were a vast and frightening place, when all I had to defend myself was Magic Missile, which I could cast once per round, twice per day, and summoned a single glowing orb. I remember the vast wilderness of the Sword Coast, not knowing if an unexplored area would contain certain death, fantastic rewards, new allies, or perhaps all of them. I remember the music of the Sword Coast... Very ambient and rugged, never imposing, always reflecting the frailty of my character. I remember not knowing how to survive Stinking Cloud.

I remember the iron crisis, and not knowing how it connected to my character or the grand scheme of things. I remember Nimbul jumping me when I was in badly need of a rest. I remember being cautious every time I entered a city or inn.

I remember not knowing where the traps were.

I remember Magic Resistance, and cursing the fact that it meant I had to rely on melee. I remember not knowing the ideal party makeup and having to learn as I went.

I remember gaining control of my character in a madman's dungeon, wondering if I'd ever escape. I remember mourning the loss of Khalid, which was an unexpected twist at the time. I remember gaining more powers, more abilities. Suddenly I could foil both Cloudkill and Magic Resistance with the right magic. I could make more than two attacks per round.

I remember wonding how the hell I was going to pay for that Robe of Vecna or the outrageous fee demanded by that tart with the Cockney accent. I remember having so many quests I didn't know what to do. I remember lines coming from Jan Jansen that made me laugh out loud at my desk at two in the morning.

I remember the romances, wondering how they'd all develop. I remember not being able to choose a class. I remember thinking to myself, "I'll have to play this four or five times before I can say I've really completed it." I've now played it dozens upon dozens of times, and I'm still not sure if I've completed it yet.

I remember having to cast Raise Dead.

I remember Jon Irenicus, the only villain worth fighting, with his Hannibal Lected bedside manner. I remember not having any idea what the monster was plotting, but I was sure that he meant business.

I remember when it was difficult to fight a dragon. I remember feeling like I earned that suit of armor.

I remember prophecies, war-torn cities, secret cabals, and godlike power that was suddenly at my disposal. I remember battles both epic and irritating. I remember resisting the temptation to mute my computer when the onyx rings started a'twisting.

I remember when it was all new to me. How brilliant the trilogy was, how it never ceased to surprise me. Now when I play it's second nature to me. No need to detect traps; we're fine here. Is it worth detecting them when I know where they are? It's not worth the ten seconds to wait for the thief to detect them- We have Mirror Image and we're fine, thanks.

No longer a fresh new player, I look at the game with the seasoned eye of a veteran. Instead of trying to advance the plot, I try and figure out how to kill plot-critical characters with no repercussions other than, well, not being able to advance the plot. Yes, I've had a good run with the game, and it still finds ways to entertain me.

So here's a round of Evermead for the Baldur's Gate series. I remember it all. Do you?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Yes, I remember. I'll do the series again as soon as BG1 Unfinished Business is compatible with EasyTuTu. Because I want to be a Wild Mage all the way thru, and I've never played the UB mods for BG1 or 2.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
IronDragon
Elminster

Boy do I remember

I started with BGII. I was staying with friends and they were obsessed with the game which meant I had to try it. Four hours later I admitted defeat because I couldn’t find my out of Chateau Irenicus but I made sure I picked a copy of the game for myself on the way home…only to discover my computer was too old to handle the graphics.

A few weeks and a new computer later I was preparing to explore that mysterious crypt in the Windspear Hills when Aeirie decided she needed confirmation of my undying love. Well I didn’t love her and she got miffed and took off with all my best equipment.

I read about dual wielding and didn’t realize you needed proficiency points to actually do it well…poor Jaheira.

Then I found BG1 in a discount rack at K-Mart…and so I had to go start from the beginning

That stupid wolf killed me 17 times (I counted), before I figured that it would be better to avoid it until I was stronger.

After I conquered the game start to finish I began theme parties. Ladies night, just family, noble affairs, unloved, expecting someone taller. Then I went solo. Then I tried tactics (once) and removed that mod from the game…I thought it sucked all the fun out of BG. Right now…am working through a pure roleplaying game…no special buffs cause I don’t really know there is something nasty behind door number three.

All these years later and I’m still playing. How many games can claim that kind of playability?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Do you remember the first time you heard "Nestled upon the cliffs..."?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I remember escaping candlekeep. And I also remember that damndable wolf killing me time and time again...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I remember when five gibberlings represented a significant threat to my well-being.

And ZFR, I remember thinking, "I won't skip this. Nestled upon the cliffs... go on..." Those were the days.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Indeed. And for some people, some lucky souls who have yet to play this wonderful series, those *are* the days
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:

And ZFR, I remember thinking, "I won't skip this. Nestled upon the cliffs... go on..." Those were the days.
I finished BG and ToSC a few times... then after five years have gone by during which I finished BG2, ToB, IWD, IWD2 several times each, I came back and started BG again. I literally cried when I heard "Nestled upon the cliffs..." again for the first time in 5 years

That was a year and a half ago, since then I replayed both BGs yet again few times.

BG still remains my favorite of the series. And probably my favorite game of all times.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Nestled upon the cliffs... Nestled upon the cliffs.

Call me a heathen, but I truthfully don't remember what part that's from

I do, however, remember finding the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity for the first time... Not having the Identify spell at the time made for quite the awkward moment with my then-turned female elven diviner
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
That would be the very beginning, kyrvias. The opening narration.
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote