Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

I'm playing my first game with Ascension installed ever. So I've come to that point in time where I'm facing Improved Yaga Shura for the first time. We find him, we smack him, he runs away to get some boys, and comes back, so we all make our mad dash to Yaga and start hammering away. And only cause one point of damage per hit. Is this the norm? Or am I buggy? Seems he regenerates faster than he bleeds, even with big old Minsc whirlwinding him while my lovely assassin tries to crawl up his backside katana first.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:04 AM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

IIRC, he can't be backstabbed, although I might be wrong. Try using lower resistance on him a few times and then use something like dragon breath if you've got it.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Now, I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that using a gigantic fireball against a fire giant might be sort of a pointless gesture.

Try Comet, or Improved Alacrity with Comet followed by a barrage of magic missiles. He'll come down eventually.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:07 AM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I've only just finished the battle with him on my unmodded game for the first time ever and was a little bit annoyed that everything stopped with his demise! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It was an exciting battle however, but I practically took him out with Korgan and Sarevok alone whilst the others held his followers at bay.

Perhaps in this case, try like illumina suggested and 'pierce magic/lower resistances/greator malison to get through his defense before you go the mad mash on him.
If your fighters have some nifty HLA's like power attack or critical strike, it would be a good time to use them too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:07 AM   #5
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

laborious way: using Mordy Swords (and your fighters can take some HPs off of course) to hold and bug him, and follow Lord and illumina's adivce, lower-resistance and firing magic at him (comets and ADHW work well).

easy way: priest spell Harm! C/M needs time stop + Harm to work because of the pathetic THAC0 (among the NPCs, only Aerie could do this, but it's unlikely that she'd be high lvl enough when you fight Yaga Shura). F/C or F/D can certainly do it: potion of Heroism + Harm + GWW = dead Yaga Shura (if you have Jaheira in your party, it'll be easy).
Old 05-02-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
...And only cause one point of damage per hit.
When you first meet Yagura Shura, he has something like 99% resistance to physical damage, which is why you're only doing 1 damage per hit at first. Even with high level kensais' hitting hard, he would need to be hit around 400 times to drop him (which is a lot of rounds, even with GWW). Thankfully, his physical resistances lower over time, so the key to winning this battle is not to go straight for Yagura Shura, but to take down his guards and mages first, so that when you eventually get round to attacking him his physical resistances will be much lower.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

Okay, folks, thanks. Sounds like I need to go run amok through Watcher's Keep a bit, first.