Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2002, 05:41 AM   #41
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

I'm not sure what the kids refer to as "goth" anymore, really. I hear them calling the likes of Marylin Manson goth. It's really funny to see where it's all gone. I was a big fan of bauhaus in the early '80s and did the whole black lipstick, white foundation thing back then.

Recently, I went to a goth club here in Portland, OR. and I felt so old! I am 32 and I swear I was the oldest person there by about 5 years (if you exclude the friend I went with (and I'm still older than him)). It was interesting to see the kids dancing to bauhaus knowing that they were 3 or so when the song came out. God, do I ever feel old right now.

And, I know the world is bigger than the US. My responding point to you was that it's not popular here in the United States, thus precluding the possibility that it is globally popular.

However, What I had originally said in my post is that it doesn't seem to be well liked here at the IRONWORKS FORUM, not that it wasn't popular in general with some people. That is a totally different conversation (that we seem to be having for some reason).

My original point, however, was about metal fans. There seem to be in inordinate amount of them who are also fans of D&D. I'm not talking about the repackaged mainstream stuff you mentioned, I'm talking about the old school metal people were mentioning in other posts.

[ 04-25-2002, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Katherine ]
Old 04-25-2002, 05:49 AM   #42
Melusine
Dracolisk

Yes well, I usually don't go into the whole true-untrue debate (oh wait, that's black metal, right? ) What I mean is that I am tired of having to categorise everything so exactly - it usually means that anything more recent than 80s is not 'true' metal/goth whatever.

I see what you mean though, and no, it's not the Bauhaus type goth that's trendy, it's mostly gothic-metal (there we go with the pigeonholing again...). But anyway, whether or not you want to call Tool or Korn metal, the fact remains that heavier music is popular these days. And yes, it's probably also true that metal fans are more easily attracted to D&D than house-freaks.
And as for goth parties - where I live, there are still many of the 'older crowd' of goths around - it all mixes quite nicely. Personally I enjoy The Mission or Fields as much as some of the modern bands, and while there is a bit of a distinction between the older goths and the teeny goth/metal fans, they both visit the same parties without too much trouble, LOL!
Old 04-25-2002, 05:59 AM   #43
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
And as for goth parties - where I live, there are still many of the 'older crowd' of goths around - it all mixes quite nicely.
Yeah, I'd love to live somewhere in Northern Europe. I almost married an Italian a few years back. That would have been great as we could have lived anywhere in Europe that is part of the European union. Too bad it didn't work out.

One of my favorite bands lives in your country. I wonder if they play there often? Have you heard of the Legendary Pink Dots?

[ 04-25-2002, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Katherine ]
Old 04-25-2002, 06:06 AM   #44
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Katherine:
Yeah, I'd love to live somewhere in Northern Europe. I almost married an Italian a few years back. That would have been great as we could have lived anywhere in Europe that is part of the European union. Too bad it didn't work out.

One of my favorite bands lives in your country. I wonder if they play there often? Have you heard of the Legendary Pink Dots?
Afraid not - probably before my time? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]
I haven't heard about a band like that playing live here either...

But yes, the scene is probably more alive here than in the USA, of course living in Amsterdam and not some backwater village helps too
Old 04-25-2002, 06:11 AM   #45
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
LOL- I'm not that old! They are a current band at any rate. Here's their site: LPD.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:12 AM   #46
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Hey, Mel! [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

I kinda feel offended...Talheim has about 5,000 inhabitants and I even managed to develop a good taste concerning music. Your boyfriend plays in a gothic band, too - right?

HAW!

haw...where's my signature pic???
Old 04-25-2002, 06:15 AM   #47
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

And look, they are even playing a concert in your city soon. I wish I could go.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:18 AM   #48
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
quote:
LOL- I'm not that old! They are a current band at any rate. Here's their site: LPD.[/QUOTE]LOL, they may be current in that they are still around, but according to that site, they started out a few months after I was BORN! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Weird, but no, I don't think I've ever heard of them... thanks for the link though, I'll check it out some more soon [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2002, 06:20 AM   #49
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

BTW, I know little pink dots, too. But I've had myself vaccinated and now it's all right again.

HAW!

haw...where's my signature pic???
Old 04-25-2002, 07:55 PM   #50
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
You forgot to mention anything ood on that list! You could have mentioned coil or current 93 for starters.

I noticed there are a lot of people who like heavy metal on this board. I wonder why that is? It seems a disproportionate amount when compared to the general population. I also note that there are no people into gothic or industrial or other dark experimental stuff (at least of the ones who have posted).

Further, do you think [img]graemlins/bunny.gif[/img] bunnies can sing? Mine hisses when I move her bed.
Einstürzende Neubauten! / Blixa Bargeld! [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]