Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2001, 04:40 PM   #11
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, i have found grease to be useful too. when i was down to 2 ppl w/ just a low lvl fighter and a bard, this spell became pretty useful at slowing down everything while i gathered up ranged weapons

------------------
{font color=silver}Pretty pretty walks the night, pretty pretty fears the light. Pretty pretty has no soul. Pretty pretty{/font color=silver}{font color=black} black as coal. Step in shadow, left a husk, killed in moments after dusk.{/font color=black}{font color=gold} Step in shadow you are prey, pray you live to see the day. Steep the street and see the war that leaves them killed.{/font color=gold}{font color=green} See the flow from wound and neck! Was that your friend? Well best you check! {/font color=green}{font color=yellow}Members gone and guild will fail! Best you fight the tooth and nail! Run you can't the war will find! To haunt your dreams and haunt your mind! Watch your friends and watch the death! Watch your eyes and hold your breath! {/font color=yellow}{font color=blue}Join or die! You cannot flee! Watch the death...in front of me...in front of...me...Run you can't! The war will find! Run you can't! The war will find! AHHHHHhahahahah!!!!!!
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 05:08 PM   #12
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

grease is cool.. Web is cooler, in my opinion, because a webbed spellcaster gets his spells broken. I say throw down a quick web; maybe an entangle for good meaure, then set a grease spot on the edge of it so its impossible to escape.

I also try Chromatic Orb on everything. it doesn't always do anything; but can be important in stunning the wailing virigns and other nasties that sneak up and spell or special attack you.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 09:27 PM   #13
Axterix
Manshoon

I've toyed with grease a bit. Works okay, but has a rather small area of effect. Still, decent when combined with web/entangle. More is better. Grease keeps them in the web/entangle area longer, meaning a made saving throw or two will still have them in the web/entangle area. (For real fun, do what my roommate does... web/entangle + party with rings of free action... you can pickpocket two of those pretty early on.)

Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 05:30 AM   #14
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Area effects rock! Especially if you use the HoF mode. I usually slow the enemies down with a nice entangle/grease/web or so, throw up a few bears between the mess and my party to stop anyone from escaping, and then clog the entangled area with a zillion spikey stones and such. Bombarding with fireballs helps as well, as would cloudkill if not every durn mob in this game were undead. The few that actually survives are always on almost dead.
Hoggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 07:29 AM   #15
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Abu Dalzims Horrid Withering....mwahahahaha
A thoroughly nasty Necromancy spell. But you have to be very careful with it.
Lightning Bolt is useless since in bounces sooo much.
Summon Elemental and Summon Monster III works great as well.
Though Improved invisible is niffty it seems every monster knows where you are exactly after an attack. Even if you move. Seems rather odd.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 10:07 AM   #16
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
[B]Though Improved invisible is niffty it seems every monster knows where you are exactly after an attack. Even if you move. Seems rather odd.
I agree. I only really use invisibility (improved or otherwise) to scout and to take a hurt character out of combat until I can heal him/her later.

Can you cast area of effect spells and still stay protected by Improved Invisibility? How about Sanctuary?

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 12:55 PM   #17
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I cast a fireball while improved invisible and was attacked and followed and attacked again.
I haven't tried sanctuary, but if you cast an offensive spell I am sure you break the enchantment.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 03:43 PM   #18
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Improved invisibility is a little misleading. think of it as the same effect as the alien in Predator. Enemies see a faint shimmering, but have a -4 to hit you so there is at least a nice AC bonus here. You can cast certain spells while invisible or sanctuaried whithout being attacked. those spells include anything centered on the caster. so chants and recitations can be done while invisibile or sanctuaried without fear of monsters. there are several more spells you can use too..
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 06:12 PM   #19
Hudson Hawk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

These all are interesting strategies, but you have to give credit where credit is due... HASTE. You take a dwarf with grand mastery in say... battle axe, haste him, and watch out! He'll turn the rainforest into a parking lot before you can say Greenpeace.

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths, and the brave may die just once... but a Master Thief simply chooses not to die.
Hudson Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 09:34 PM   #20
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

LOL like the example Hudson
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote