Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2001, 11:44 AM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I just got IWD and HOW. I'm playing in HOF mode from the beginning but edited my party to Level 4 with dale keeper. It's very tough. Every battle must be planned carefully. I think there may be a bug with the sneak attack because sometimes an enemy who is crippled starts doing 50 damage every strike. Goblins in the pass between Easthaven and Kuldahar would do this. Even the orges and orcs in the cave before didn't do this much unless they were crippled. Can anybody confirm if this is right?
In a converstaion between Leafy and Father Bronze, we learned that a patch is now out that fixes that and many other little quirks.

------------------

Larry, Sell-Sword to the OHF

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 04-30-2001).]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 06:20 AM   #12
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Well, I'm trying to beat the game without any Dalekeeper adjustments, using HOF from the very start of Icewind Dale. I tell you, it's a thrill. It like a completely new game. I have to rerun every single battle time and again, since every single opponent is too tough to take on without preparations. The hardest part so far was probably the first orc/ogre cave (!), since I had so few spells and other things to aid me. Charm did the trick though. After that, summoned creatures has been what saves me. Yx was pretty tough too of course, especially since the damn doors close and she is immune to spells. I had to accept the fact that one char died there. I always reload as soon as anyone dies normally. After Dragons Eye I went to Lonelywood, with round 700-800.000 xp. A bit early, since it really, really tough (although it was fun to get 580.000 xp for the assassination plot). I'm having the time of my life with those Wailing Virgins down under... seriously, I wonder if I will make it but I'm making a slow progress. However, after having spent like 5 hours on one single battle you begin to wonder if there's nothing better to do =). To top things off, I didn't take the best party either. For some silly reason I took a thief instead of a fighter/thief, and he sucks. He has like 10 kills whilst my bard (who rules) has over 200. I also have a fighter, a paladin, a bard, a druid and a conjurer.

So, anyone else really trying to beat it from the start with HOW? And how early did you go to Lonelywood?

Cheerio.
Hoggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 08:24 AM   #13
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
In a converstaion between Leafy and Father Bronze, we learned that a patch is now out that fixes that and many other little quirks.

Larry is right about the conversation. The link is here. Okay, the thread only lists my side of the conversation. Leafy said just about what you suggested in the beginning. When a crippling attack is successful, the opponent's next hit does something like 20 extra damage. I can only imagine what this does in heart of fury mode.

I haven't read if the recent HOW patch fixes this problem or not. I think Leafy was saying that it would, but I haven't read the patch readme.txt file to see what is corrected.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 05-02-2001).]
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 04:36 PM   #14
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

wailing virgins? only thing that i found worked on them was "stun". like a high level bard casting Chromatic Orb... or a weapon with stun.

Sadly, chaotic commands and the bard song to defend against sound based attacks seem to do nothing against the hopeless wailing of these virgins. that's gotta be a bug. I simply do not believe that they'd put in a spanky new bard song that protects against sound based attacks; then let wailing virigns scream all over you.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 04:33 AM   #15
Erekose
The Magister

A maxed out cleric can destroy them with their turning ability in HOW. The only one I couldn't destroy was their name leader. A good trick is to cast sanctuary, to stop them getting in physical attacks. Then let your cleric run loose destroying them.

------------------
THE RUNES ON THE SWORD ARE THE WORMS THAT ARE WISE
THE NAME OF THE SWORD IS THE SAME AS THE SCYTHE

[This message has been edited by Erekose (edited 05-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Erekose (edited 05-03-2001).]
Erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:50 AM   #16
Therro
Dungeon Master

I've beaten it like twice (going through all of IWD and HOW on HoF)..Then again, I was using my set of level 29 characters..but meh..And I'm sure one more time will push em up to level 30

[This message has been edited by Therro (edited 05-03-2001).]
Therro is offline   Reply With Quote