Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2004, 06:11 AM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Light Bulb

If so, I'd love to hear how you did it!

Inspired by Dundee's 'Sirius Black' character, I tried a paladin because I'd be getting a kickass fighter who can cast cleric spells at level 9 (I think). Anyway, all was going well and he was rapidly gaining levels. By Kuldahar, he must've been about level 4 or 5 (Note: On hardest difficulty mode to get max experience). However, he got smeared across the snow by yetis and shadows when going around all the tombs surrounding the Vale.

So I thought, okay I'm going to need spells NOW - not at level 9 - if I want to kill these guys. So I made a Ranger/Cleric. He was also very good and was 4/4 when reaching Kuldahar. Again, though, he got his ass kicked by yetis and shadows. Albeit, he was better than the Paladin.

I suppose a mage would be good at higher levels, but it would be VERY hard to begin with. Impossible, in fact!

So, has anyone successfully soloed through IWD and/or HoW and/or TotLM? What class did you use? Any survival tips? Thanks! Oh, and what level did you end up as at the end?
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yes, for me multi class is the only way to go. Fighter/Mage/Cleric (half-elf)!!!

This combo allows me to use fighting skills without armor. Stone Skin becomes your best friend. Basically you get a Battle Mage with cleric abilities. Sanctuary becomes very useful to escape from enemies, it can also be used in combination with circle of bones. Spells that do mass damage, or other spells that you wouldn't normally use become far more effective as you do not need to worry about other party members. This combo gives me almost all the spells as well as being able to detect traps, open locks, and disarm traps with spells. OK the disarm traps requires the use of Mirror Image to take the damage but it works. I am trying to remember stats I know I lower Charisma to its lowest (3) as gold is not a problem with all the equipment you find. I think Wis and int, and dex were at 18 or 17. I think Con was 15 and the rest I placed in strength as you can end up boosting strength other ways. Anyway with soloing there were a couple areas that I found tough but for the most part it was easier then having a full party due to the speed of going up levels and only having to worry about casting protection spells on a single character. Summons are also important when soloing. Basically I feel this combo allows you to deal with any given situation or opponent in the game.

[ 04-05-2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:51 AM   #3
Midget Gems

I solo'd as Fighter/Illusionist, which is my favourite multi-class. There is enough power and flexibility in both attack and defence for every situation. Healing is done with potions and Thief skills are not essential! Did the same in BG1/TOTSC as well.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I made a necro/fighter and made it through the game. Two hardest areas were the yetis in the vale and the last area with the petrifying simbols. I did those some 50 reloads.